Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Scarnati defies Pa. Supreme Court order to turn over map data in gerrymander cas

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Sen. Scarnati defies Pa. Supreme Court order to turn over map data in gerrymander cas

Sen. Scarnati defies Pa. Supreme Court order to turn over map data in gerrymander case

State Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati (R., Jefferson) said Wednesday he would not turn over any data requested by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in the wake of the gerrymandering ruling that Republicans are fighting in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Last week, the state high court ruled that Pennsylvania’s congressional map was the product of unconstitutional gerrymandering and ordered the General Assembly to submit files “that contain the current boundaries of all Pennsylvania municipalities and precincts” by noon Wednesday.

In a letter to the court, Scarnati’s lawyers said he would not do so, repeating an argument they have made to the U.S. Supreme Court: The state court is overstepping its authority.

“In light of the unconstitutionality of the Court’s Orders and the Court’s plain intent to usurp the General Assembly’s constitutionally delegated role of drafting Pennsylvania’s congressional districting plan, Sen. Scarnati will not be turning over any data identified in the Court’s Orders,” the lawyers wrote.

In a separate filing, a lawyer for the General Assembly wrote that lawmakers do not have map files showing the current municipal boundaries because they are produced only once a decade as part of the redistricting process.

“The General Assembly and its Legislative Data Processing Center do not maintain ESRI shape files that contain current boundaries of all Pennsylvania municipalities and precincts,” the letter reads.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some follow-up on the Pennsylvania gerrymandering case. This one is state specific and not part of the Supreme Court of the United States' hearing on the issue. The Court could take it up, of course, since gerrymandering, along with voter suppression techniques, are necessary to ensure minority rule in this nation and thwart the political will of the citizens.

I know I am probably the only wonk on this issue.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Some follow-up on the Pennsylvania gerrymandering case. This one is state specific and not part of the Supreme Court of the United States' hearing on the issue. The Court could take it up, of course, since gerrymandering, along with voter suppression techniques, are necessary to ensure minority rule in this nation and thwart the political will of the citizens.

You spelled wanker wrong.

4. Likes Adam, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well move it to the BOC.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sen. Scarnati defies Pa. Supreme Court order to turn over map data in gerrymander case

State Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati (R., Jefferson) said Wednesday he would not turn over any data requested by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in the wake of the gerrymandering ruling that Republicans are fighting in the U.S. Supreme Court.

Last week, the state high court ruled that Pennsylvania’s congressional map was the product of unconstitutional gerrymandering and ordered the General Assembly to submit files “that contain the current boundaries of all Pennsylvania municipalities and precincts” by noon Wednesday.

In a letter to the court, Scarnati’s lawyers said he would not do so, repeating an argument they have made to the U.S. Supreme Court: The state court is overstepping its authority.

“In light of the unconstitutionality of the Court’s Orders and the Court’s plain intent to usurp the General Assembly’s constitutionally delegated role of drafting Pennsylvania’s congressional districting plan, Sen. Scarnati will not be turning over any data identified in the Court’s Orders,” the lawyers wrote.

In a separate filing, a lawyer for the General Assembly wrote that lawmakers do not have map files showing the current municipal boundaries because they are produced only once a decade as part of the redistricting process.

“The General Assembly and its Legislative Data Processing Center do not maintain ESRI shape files that contain current boundaries of all Pennsylvania municipalities and precincts,” the letter reads.
    Does the court have the right to do what its doing?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well move it to the BOC.
    Yeah, cause there is absolutely no snark in this...

since gerrymandering, along with voter suppression techniques, are necessary to ensure minority rule in this nation and thwart the political will of the citizens.
    Lord you are tiresome at times.

8. Likes Novaheart liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    Yeah, cause there is absolutely no snark in this...
    No. There isn't. And there wasn't anything personal, either.

Lord you are tiresome at times.
    Sorry you got triggered by an opinion you don't share.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:03 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

You might be surprised at how many "progressives" think that gerrymandering is why Republicans hold the Senate and the White House.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. There isn't. And there wasn't anything personal, either.

Sorry you got triggered by an opinion you don't share.
    Not triggered, merely humored. You have referred to and called anyone to the right of you that does not align with your political purity requirements everything but late for dinner for over a year. Iffin ya gonna dish it out, ya best be able to take it.

I don't live in Pennsylvania. I don't really care how they draw their districts.
    I know how many Michigan districts have been gerrymandered to keep one side or the other, typically Democratics, in office from the mid 70's to the turn of the century.
    It is the process and the game.

Have some hot cocoa and let it slide.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    Not triggered, merely humored.
    Tiresome is an odd word to use for mirth.

You have referred to and called anyone to the right of you that does not align with your political purity requirements everything but late for dinner for over a year. Iffin ya gonna dish it out, ya best be able to take it.
    Jeez, dude. You don't think I can take the bleating in this Trumpster safe-space?

I don't live in Pennsylvania. I don't really care how they draw their districts.
    I know how many Michigan districts have been gerrymandered to keep one side or the other, typically Democratics, in office from the mid 70's to the turn of the century.
    It is the process and the game.

Have some hot cocoa and let it slide.
    So you comment only on things happening in Michigan? That doesn't sound right.