Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court may have signaled that it might block Pennsylvania’s ruling against

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

The Supreme Court may have signaled that it might block Pennsylvania’s ruling against

The Supreme Court may have signaled that it might block Pennsylvania’s ruling against partisan gerrymandering

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court was seen as signaling Monday it may be open to blocking a state ruling on partisan gerrymandering at the behest of Pennsylvania’s Republican leaders.

Last week, Pennsylvania’s high court struck down the state’s election districts on the grounds they were drawn to give the GOP a 13-5 majority of its seats in the House of Representatives.

Unlike other recent rulings, the state justices said they based their ruling solely on the state’s constitution. Usually, the U.S. Supreme Court has no grounds for reviewing a state court ruling that is based on state law.

The Pennsylvania decision, if it stands, could be significant in November when Democrats hope for big gains in Congress. The state justices ordered a new election map to be drawn in the month ahead, and legal experts predicted it could shift two or three seats toward the Democrats.

Late last week, the leaders of Pennsylvania’s Legislature filed an emergency appeal with Justice Samuel Alito seeking an order by Jan. 31 that would block the Pennsylvania ruling. They said it conflicted with a provision in the U.S. Constitution that says members of the House will be elected under rules “prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof.” As precedent, their lawyers cited the Bush vs. Gore ruling in 2000 in which the justices overruled the Florida Supreme Court and ended a manual recount of thousands of paper card ballots.

Alito, who reviews emergency appeals from Pennsylvania and two other states, could have denied the appeal if he thought it had no chance of being granted. But late in day Monday, he asked for a response by Feb. 4 from the League of Women Voters.

His action suggests that he believes there is some prospect that a majority of his colleagues may grant the appeal.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like goddamn fucking butter.

I'll take my apology now, Gary.

Fuck!
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Like goddamn fucking butter.

I'll take my apology now, Gary.

Fuck!
    Sorry I said you spelled wanker wrong as wonk.
    I am sure you know how to spell wanker correctly.

My apologies.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Online
    Today @ 6:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Maybe Celeste can stop by and tell me that I(and the Supreme Court) don't understand the Constitution.

That would be interesting.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    AP reporting that the Supreme Court won't block PA redistricting.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:47 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    As precedent, their lawyers cited the Bush vs. Gore ruling in 2000 in which the justices overruled the Florida Supreme Court and ended a manual recount of thousands of paper card ballots.
    I was under the impression that Bush v. Gore had placed itself sort of off-limits as far as precedent goes.

Our consideration is limited to the present circumstances, for the problem of equal protection in election processes generally presents many complexities.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I was under the impression that Bush v. Gore had placed itself sort of off-limits as far as precedent goes.
    It has been used before in lower court rulings but none in Supreme Court opinions. I only know of Thomas citing it in a dissent.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    "[T]he fact that Alito did not refer the request to the full court, as Chief Justice John Roberts did with the North Carolina case, strongly suggests that he did not view the case as an even remotely close call."

Scotusblog