Thread: RKBA in California

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

RKBA in California

California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) is circulating a petition to demand our elected representatives in Congress vote in favor of the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act.

This is my reply to the e-mail from CRPA:

I signed the petition and so did my daughter. We feel even more strongly about this, in light of a recent judge's decision in Sacramento, applying Prop. 57 early-release from prison provisions to sex offenders, including violent sex offenders who have re-offended but are currently in prison for a "non-violent" offense. Based on my experience talking with people I know, I believe that we need to do more outreach to communities that are particularly at risk of being victims of violent crime. Women, especially women of color, elderly people, gay/lesbian and gender-nonconforming people, and people with disabilities are all targeted by criminal predators. We need to get these people to speak out and stand up for themselves, and know that we'll stand up for them. They have a right to defend themselves, and they have a right to use the streets and public transit without fear.

How can the state deny us the ability to effectively defend ourselves when nearly every week there is a report of people being attacked on BART? The police can't be everywhere; notice how those news reports always end with NO SUSPECTS TAKEN INTO CUSTODY? Because they rob and run before BART police even reach the scene, and people get hurt. These attacks happen even in broad daylight. We have a constant campaign to get people to "spare the air" by using public transit, but it won't work, because PUBLIC TRANSIT IN CALIFORNIA IS NOT SAFE. Talk to the transit unions about felonious injuries to their driver members. Criminals do these things because they have nothing to fear.

I am an old (65) lesbian with a fused lumbar spine. I have a black belt in tae kwon do and self-defense training, neither of which do me much good now that I have lost the ability to run and the strength and flexibility to fight a larger attacker. I am a responsible gun owner who was licensed to carry concealed in another state before moving back to California. I'm no less qualified to carry now than I was there, but California effectively denies me the right to defend myself outside my home.

My daughter is a very small adult and has rheumatoid arthritis. The manager of my office, a 70-year-old woman of small stature with a total knee replacement, leaves our office alone, sometimes as late as 10 PM. My brother, an older gay man with a disability, lives in a senior/handicapped building in a fairly rough neighborhood. These are law-abiding people who might as well wear targets on their backs, as every step they take in public announces to criminals that they are easy marks. This is our constituency.

Politically ambitious lawmakers and those who support them imagine pro-Second Amendment citizens as big, white, rural, macho MEN who are probably racists and cling to their guns to defend themselves from black and brown people they fear. Let's face it: that's what they perceive when a white male speaks out for our right to bear arms. I say this as someone who used to buy into that propaganda. I'm an unabashed liberal. I believe in individual freedom to be who you feel you are and marry whomever you love. I believe in providing a safety net for the poor. I'm in favor of DACA and the DREAM Act. I support single-payer health care. I own and wish to carry a handgun. I'm a pro-Second Amendment liberal, and there are many of us. In our increasingly polarized political atmosphere, this is an issue we need to show people is NOT divided entirely along party lines. We cannot win divided.

The NRA has dipped a toe in the pool of diversity on this issue, but perhaps not in a way that speaks to Californians. We need to showcase real Californians' stories and make people see that it is hubris and worse for young, healthy men, as well as politicians and the wealthy (who are insulated from the issues affecting the rest of us daily) to paint themselves as moral and good for depriving vulnerable California citizens of the right to self-defense.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

2. Likes Michele, 80zephyr, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte
    My brother, an older gay man
    Nova is going to get you for that one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Nova is going to get you for that one.
    A DISTINGUISHED older gay man.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    A DISTINGUISHED older gay man.
    Too late.

6. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) is circulating a petition to demand our elected representatives in Congress vote in favor of the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act.

This is my reply to the e-mail from CRPA:

I signed the petition and so did my daughter. We feel even more strongly about this, in light of a recent judge's decision in Sacramento, applying Prop. 57 early-release from prison provisions to sex offenders, including violent sex offenders who have re-offended but are currently in prison for a "non-violent" offense. Based on my experience talking with people I know, I believe that we need to do more outreach to communities that are particularly at risk of being victims of violent crime. Women, especially women of color, elderly people, gay/lesbian and gender-nonconforming people, and people with disabilities are all targeted by criminal predators. We need to get these people to speak out and stand up for themselves, and know that we'll stand up for them. They have a right to defend themselves, and they have a right to use the streets and public transit without fear.

How can the state deny us the ability to effectively defend ourselves when nearly every week there is a report of people being attacked on BART? The police can't be everywhere; notice how those news reports always end with NO SUSPECTS TAKEN INTO CUSTODY? Because they rob and run before BART police even reach the scene, and people get hurt. These attacks happen even in broad daylight. We have a constant campaign to get people to "spare the air" by using public transit, but it won't work, because PUBLIC TRANSIT IN CALIFORNIA IS NOT SAFE. Talk to the transit unions about felonious injuries to their driver members. Criminals do these things because they have nothing to fear.

I am an old (65) lesbian with a fused lumbar spine. I have a black belt in tae kwon do and self-defense training, neither of which do me much good now that I have lost the ability to run and the strength and flexibility to fight a larger attacker. I am a responsible gun owner who was licensed to carry concealed in another state before moving back to California. I'm no less qualified to carry now than I was there, but California effectively denies me the right to defend myself outside my home.

My daughter is a very small adult and has rheumatoid arthritis. The manager of my office, a 70-year-old woman of small stature with a total knee replacement, leaves our office alone, sometimes as late as 10 PM. My brother, an older gay man with a disability, lives in a senior/handicapped building in a fairly rough neighborhood. These are law-abiding people who might as well wear targets on their backs, as every step they take in public announces to criminals that they are easy marks. This is our constituency.

Politically ambitious lawmakers and those who support them imagine pro-Second Amendment citizens as big, white, rural, macho MEN who are probably racists and cling to their guns to defend themselves from black and brown people they fear. Let's face it: that's what they perceive when a white male speaks out for our right to bear arms. I say this as someone who used to buy into that propaganda. I'm an unabashed liberal. I believe in individual freedom to be who you feel you are and marry whomever you love. I believe in providing a safety net for the poor. I'm in favor of DACA and the DREAM Act. I support single-payer health care. I own and wish to carry a handgun. I'm a pro-Second Amendment liberal, and there are many of us. In our increasingly polarized political atmosphere, this is an issue we need to show people is NOT divided entirely along party lines. We cannot win divided.

The NRA has dipped a toe in the pool of diversity on this issue, but perhaps not in a way that speaks to Californians. We need to showcase real Californians' stories and make people see that it is hubris and worse for young, healthy men, as well as politicians and the wealthy (who are insulated from the issues affecting the rest of us daily) to paint themselves as moral and good for depriving vulnerable California citizens of the right to self-defense.
    A letter like that from a lesbian in California is more compelling to the recipient than 1000 of the same letters sent by straight white men.

Some people have more "pull" than others.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck in your endeavor.

While I am a firm believer in the 9th and 10th Amendments and state's rights in general, that concept has pretty much been blown out of the water through various applications of the 14th.

California may be able to restrict what it considers to be a handgun that may be legally possessed in their state, but should not be able to determine the who any more than it can for driver's licenses or marriage licenses as long as California has any law in place that allows for Concealed Handgun licenses.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    A letter like that from a lesbian in California is more compelling to the recipient than 1000 of the same letters sent by straight white men.

Some people have more "pull" than others.
    I think you misunderstand. The person I'm writing to is the head of a pro-2nd Amendment organization. They got my name off a list when I was an NRA member (for 1 year, to get a discount on my CCW class). I'm telling him that the organization is missing a potential additional base of support by targeting the usual voters (rural Californians and NRA members).

My point is that CRPA needs to reach out to others like me explicitly. Because yes, our Democratic senators and Congresspeople in California are going to be more responsive to fellow Democrats who demand respect for the 2nd Amendment than they are to people who would never vote for them anyway. That's just politics. Republicans from behind the Orange (County) Curtain aren't interested in my views on health care or reproductive freedom. I don't expect them to be.

The organizer and leader of our local Pink Pistols chapter is a M-to-F TG lesbian who is very politically active. Our state legislators and both the LGBT and mainstream media pretty much ignore her. Her opinion does not carry 1000x the weight of a straight white man's, or Gavin Fucking Newsom wouldn't have gotten his stupid ammunition licensing law through Sacramento. As with anywhere else, being politically connected in CA is what gives you "pull." Nobody really cares what Nelly Smith or Butch Jones think; garden-variety gay people are thick on the ground. They have no more influence than their garden-variety straight neighbors.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you misunderstand. The person I'm writing to is the head of a pro-2nd Amendment organization. They got my name off a list when I was an NRA member (for 1 year, to get a discount on my CCW class). I'm telling him that the organization is missing a potential additional base of support by targeting the usual voters (rural Californians and NRA members).

My point is that CRPA needs to reach out to others like me explicitly. Because yes, our Democratic senators and Congresspeople in California are going to be more responsive to fellow Democrats who demand respect for the 2nd Amendment than they are to people who would never vote for them anyway. That's just politics. Republicans from behind the Orange (County) Curtain aren't interested in my views on health care or reproductive freedom. I don't expect them to be.

The organizer and leader of our local Pink Pistols chapter is a M-to-F TG lesbian who is very politically active. Our state legislators and both the LGBT and mainstream media pretty much ignore her. Her opinion does not carry 1000x the weight of a straight white man's, or Gavin Fucking Newsom wouldn't have gotten his stupid ammunition licensing law through Sacramento. As with anywhere else, being politically connected in CA is what gives you "pull." Nobody really cares what Nelly Smith or Butch Jones think; garden-variety gay people are thick on the ground. They have no more influence than their garden-variety straight neighbors.
    I knew who you wrote it to. Now, if these folks have any sense at all, when they contact their lobbyists, your letter will be on the top.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    Good luck in your endeavor.

While I am a firm believer in the 9th and 10th Amendments and state's rights in general, that concept has pretty much been blown out of the water through various applications of the 14th.

California may be able to restrict what it considers to be a handgun that may be legally possessed in their state, but should not be able to determine the who any more than it can for driver's licenses or marriage licenses as long as California has any law in place that allows for Concealed Handgun licenses.
    This is, IMO, a civil rights issue. The very root of California's restrictive gun laws was a movement by white men in power (with the full endorsement of the NRA) to prevent black citizens of California arming themselves against both urban crime and rogue police. That was a bi-partisan effort, with the legislation (Mulford Act) being sponsored by Northern California Democrats and signed into law by Saint Ronnie Rayguns, governor of California and later proponent of 2nd Amendment rights, after he was ag'in'em.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Too late.
    White linen suit and hat.
    Reporters used to break stories. Now they're just fucking tattletales. - Adam Carolla