Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Little Known Black History Facts

Last Online
    Today @ 8:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Ten Little Known Black History Facts

It was March 2, 1955, when the fifteen-year-old schoolgirl refused to move to the back of the bus, nine months before Rosa Parks’ stand that launched the Montgomery bus boycott. Claudette had been studying Black leaders like Harriet Tubman in her segregated school, those conversations had led to discussions around the current day Jim Crow laws they were all experiencing. When the bus driver ordered Claudette to get up, she refused, “It felt like Sojourner Truth was on one side pushing me down, and Harriet Tubman was on the other side of me pushing me down. I couldn't get up."
    Onesimus told Mather about the centuries old tradition of inoculation practiced in Africa. By extracting the material from an infected person and scratching it into the skin of an uninfected person, you could deliberately introduce smallpox to the healthy individual making them immune. Considered extremely dangerous at the time, Cotton Mather convinced Dr. Zabdiel Boylston to experiment with the procedure when a smallpox epidemic hit Boston in 1721 and over 240 people were inoculated. Opposed politically, religiously and medically in the United States and abroad, public reaction to the experiment put Mather and Boylston’s lives in danger despite records indicating that only 2% of patients requesting inoculation died compared to the 15% of people not inoculated who contracted smallpox.
    And the article says he was a slave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43025705

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    And the article says he was a slave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43025705
    Bad link, Lanie.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Bad link, Lanie.
    I think that was from another thread. Sorry.

http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/exp...e-known-facts/

4. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:33 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    "15% of people not inoculated who contracted smallpox."

I thought the mortality rate for smallpox was a lot higher.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    "15% of people not inoculated who contracted smallpox."

I thought the mortality rate for smallpox was a lot higher.
    Like flu, I believe it depended on the strain. Some strains were more deadly than others. There were epidemics of smallpox in which up to 80% of those infected died. The mortality may also have been lower in areas settled primarily by dairy farming families, as I think I read years ago that people who have been exposed to cowpox have some increased immune defenses against smallpox. All this is from memory of things read or learned many years ago, though, so don't quote me.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning: Statements here are Google free.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Like flu, I believe it depended on the strain. Some strains were more deadly than others. There were epidemics of smallpox in which up to 80% of those infected died. The mortality may also have been lower in areas settled primarily by dairy farming families, as I think I read years ago that people who have been exposed to cowpox have some increased immune defenses against smallpox. All this is from memory of things read or learned many years ago, though, so don't quote me.
    That's plausible. I do remember reading about the relationship of cowpox to smallpox. It was a long time ago, when kids like me were still getting the smallpox vaccine scratched into their shoulders. I thought the cowpox protection thing was limited to the "milkmaids," or people in direct contact with cows (and who contracted cowpox). But then dairy farming was everywhere, maybe even in the streets of Boston in 1721.

A few summers ago I visited the Plymouth restoration in Massachusetts. (It has been thoroughly reworked in recent years, and it's really quite marvelous.) I remember standing in the huts in which, we were told, the indigenous natives died of smallpox. About 90% of them, we were told.

Exterminating that disease has been a miracle of modern science and a blessing to humanity.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Cowpox (vaccinnia virus) is used to immunize against smallpox

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    Cowpox (vaccinnia virus) was used to immunize against smallpox

fixed, I think. Nobody is getting vaccinated these days.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    fixed, I think. Nobody is getting vaccinated these days.
    While there are still vaccinnia stockpiles, you are correct.

Last Online
    Today @ 7:13 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is white history month? Or Asian history month? Or Pacific Island history month?

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post