Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paintings Of Barack And Michelle Obama Unveiled At Portrait Gallery

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Paintings Of Barack And Michelle Obama Unveiled At Portrait Gallery

Former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama stand next to their newly unveiled portraits during a ceremony Monday at the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.

Mark Wilson/Getty Images
    Brand new portraits of former president Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama — wearing matching calm, strong expressions — were revealed on Monday at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.
    Kehinde Wiley painted Barack Obama sitting in a chair, elbows in his knees, leaning forward with an intense expression. The background, typical of a Wiley painting, is a riotous pattern of intense greens.
    "Pretty sharp," Obama said with a grin.
    Amy Sherald, a Baltimore-based artist, painted Michelle Obama sitting in a floor-length gown, chin on her hand, looking directly at the viewer with a calm, level gaze.
    The paintings, like the presidency they honor, are a historic first. Wiley and Sherald — both already famous for their portraits of black Americans — are the first black painters to receive a presidential portrait commission from the museum.
    Celebrities from Shonda Rimes to Steven Spielberg, former administration officials from Josh Earnest to Eric Holder, and members of the media filed into the Portrait Gallery's expansive, glass-covered central courtyard for the ceremony. Kim Sajet, the director of the gallery, told the audience that a portrait was not truly finished until a viewer, a member of the public, had a personal encounter with it.

Link

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they're both nice of their subjects. I don't really like Barack's, though. The greenery is very distracting, to me. The actual portraiture of him is well done. I'm sure I'm missing some artistic point (which is usual for me, I tend to just see what's in front of me on artwork).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like anything about Barack's but it does look like him. I like Michelle's a lot but the face doesn't look like her, IMHnon-artistO.
    “The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation.”
    - Corrie ten Boom

Last Online
    Today @ 1:52 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who?
    “I took you out to dinner to warn you of charm. I warned you expressly and in great details of the Flyte family. Charm is the great English blight. It does not exist outside these damp islands. It spots and kills anything it touches. It kills love; it kills art; I greatly fear, Charles, it has killed you.

5. Likes JB liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I don't like anything about Barack's but it does look like him. I like Michelle's a lot but the face doesn't look like her, IMHnon-artistO.
    Thats what I thought. If someone would have asked me who was in the portrait without prior knowledge, I would never have guessed it was her.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a resemblance in there. But hey, if someone were to do a portrait of me that large and hanging in such a public place, I'd ask for the same! I didn't like hers at first glance, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I wonder if she tried several dresses and if the choice of dress was left to her or the artist. It's striking as a dress for a portrait. Whoever (whomever...a little help here, Celeste??) chose it chose well.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    There's a resemblance in there. But hey, if someone were to do a portrait of me that large and hanging in such a public place, I'd ask for the same! I didn't like hers at first glance, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I wonder if she tried several dresses and if the choice of dress was left to her or the artist. It's striking as a dress for a portrait. Whoever (whomever...a little help here, Celeste??) chose it chose well.
    I like her portait and I think everything looks like her but the actual face part. If I saw it without knowing it was a portrait of her, I would never guess she was the subject. Actually, I think the face looks more like Sasha's than anyone in the family but still...I just don't see the facial resemblance to Michelle.
    - Corrie ten Boom

9. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like her portait and I think everything looks like her but the actual face part. If I saw it without knowing it was a portrait of her, I would never guess she was the subject. Actually, I think the face looks more like Sasha's than anyone in the family but still...I just don't see the facial resemblance to Michelle.
    I would have thought it was her prettier sister. A resemblance, but not very spot on...just prettier. As I said, how I would want mine to be!

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I would have thought it was her prettier sister. A resemblance, but not very spot on...just prettier. As I said, how I would want mine to be!
    Prettier one...Malia?

Just heard a commentator on CNN say it wasn't supposed to look like her because it wasn't a "traditional" painting and that's why the artist was chosen.
    - Corrie ten Boom

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prettier one...Malia?

Just heard a commentator on CNN say it wasn't supposed to look like her because it wasn't a "traditional" painting and that's why the artist was chosen.
    No, I meant that if Michelle had a prettier sister, that is who I think it looks like...kind of Michelle, but a prettier version.

I get that they wanted to choose African American artists. They were trailblazers in terms of ascending to the office. George and Laura's portraits are very different as well. Very casual. Not necessarily what I would have chosen for George, although I think Laura's is very pretty.