Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a Late Start, an Artist’s Big Break: Michelle Obama’s Official Portrait

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

After a Late Start, an Artist’s Big Break: Michelle Obama’s Official Portrait

I was reading the article about the artist that painted Michelle Obama's picture, and this got my attention:

Ms. Sherald only paints African-Americans. Having studied European art history, she is keenly aware of the scarcity of black faces. “There’s not enough images of us,” she said.

It would seem to me that if a baker has to bake a cake, an artist has to paint whoever wants to hire her.

Fair is fair, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/a...-portrait.html

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    An interesting question...particularly since now the artist will presumably be more popular and asked for more commissioned works.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both:

Last Online
    Today @ 2:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most shots of her show her smiling.

Oh good grief. Drudge has a little headline: Michelle Obama Portrait Disaster! linking to a snarky Daily Caller piece. Both portraits are a little off-the-wall to me, but I think hers particularly (and more than his by far) is very commanding. the color involved is dramatic. I only wish she were smiling.
    Last edited by Newman; Monday, February 12th, 2018 at 3:37 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

Oh good grief. Drudge has a little headline: Michelle Obama Portrait Disaster! linking to a snarky Daily Caller piece. Both portraits are a little off-the-wall to me, but I think hers particularly (and more than his by far) is very commanding. the color involved is dramatic. I only wish she were smiling.
    I think they are OK. Nothing special.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

Yeah. I saw the drudge headline and article it linked to and chose not to post it, as I thought it unfair. I'm having a hard time judging the drama of the color because each photo I see of it seems to have a bit different "filter" on it. The last photo in the Daily Caller article has a pretty bold blue as a backdrop (which I like). I guess it's one of those I'll have to see the original to really get the vibe from it.

I think the artist wanted to portray her as serious and a bit regal, hence the no smiling. I thought she did a nice job of that, actually. It doesn't look like a frown, just contemplative.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Yeah. I saw the drudge headline and article it linked to and chose not to post it, as I thought it unfair. I'm having a hard time judging the drama of the color because each photo I see of it seems to have a bit different "filter" on it. The last photo in the Daily Caller article has a pretty bold blue as a backdrop (which I like). I guess it's one of those I'll have to see the original to really get the vibe from it.

I think the artist wanted to portray her as serious and a bit regal, hence the no smiling. I thought she did a nice job of that, actually. It doesn't look like a frown, just contemplative.
    ...and, she captured her "famous great shoulders"...can't complain about that.
    “The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation.”
    - Corrie ten Boom

8. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are terrible.

Looks like there are seven leaves on the plants surrounding Barry.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:22 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    It would seem to me that if a baker has to bake a cake, an artist has to paint whoever wants to hire her.

Fair is fair, right?
    I agree. Perhaps conservatives should send a phalanx of really white people to try to get her to paint them, then sue if she refuses.
    “He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” — President Trump on Kim Jong-un

#MAADA — Make America A Dictatorship Again

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I agree. Perhaps conservatives should send a phalanx of really white people to try to get her to paint them, then sue if she refuses.
    Why not Liberals and Democratics too? Shouldn't we all be united against discrimination?

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post