Thread: History of Valentine's Day.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

History of Valentine's Day.

Historians trace the origin of Valentine's Day to ancient Roman Empire. It is said that in the Rome of ancient times people observed a holiday on February 14th to honor Juno - the Queen of Roman Gods and Goddesses. The Romans also regarded Juno as the Goddess of Women and Marriage. On the following day, February 15th began the fertility festival called 'Feast of Lupercalia'. The festival of Lupercalia was celebrated to honor the Gods Lupercus and Faunus - the Roman God of Agriculture besides the legendary founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus.
    Juno was also Hera and she was super jealous of her cheating husband.

The pairing of young boys and girls did set the mood of the Valentine's Day Festival as we know today. But it was actually due to the efforts and daring of a priest St Valentine that the festival got its name and clearer meaning. The story goes that during the reign of Emperor Claudius II Rome was involved in several bloody and unpopular campaigns. Claudius found it tough to get soldiers and felt the reason was men did not join army because they did not wish to leave their wives and families. As a result Claudius cancelled all marriages and engagements in Rome. A romantic at heart priest of Rome Saint Valentine defied Claudius's unjustified order. Along with Saint Marius, St Valentine secretly married couples. When his defiance was discovered, Valentine was brutally beaten and put to death on February 14, about 270 AD. After his death Valentine was named a Saint.
    http://www.stvalentinesday.org/histo...tines-day.html

Last Online
    Today @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say - not a fan of this "day".

I've been married since they invented dirt (in contemporary terms) and I've never liked it.

While I'm all for love, a day where you have to demonstrate it with food, objects, and "special" sex is just....tedious. And annoying.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I have to say - not a fan of this "day".

I've been married since they invented dirt (in contemporary terms) and I've never liked it.

While I'm all for love, a day where you have to demonstrate it with food, objects, and "special" sex is just....tedious. And annoying.
    Why wasn't I informed of this?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

4. Likes Adam liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

You've never liked being married???????????????????????????
    Oh, come on now, it's a day for frosted cookies!

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Why wasn't I informed of this?

Mark
    Women run Valentine's Day. It was an internal memo.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Women run Valentine's Day. It was an internal memo.
    Must have been. Lol.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    We "do" Valentine's Day before the day because neither of us enjoy the crowds, prix fixe menus, or whatever.

Also, we aren't 23 and enthralled with the concept (we were then, though).

As a Christian, I like the story true or not. As a woman, meh. If Mr. Snaps decided to not do anything I'd be curious but not alarmed. If he said he just wasn't doing it in the future, I'd be relieved.

Don't get me wrong - I adore the guy. I just don't think we need to spend money on a crowded and over-priced venue that will be loud (I hate that), presents, or candy.

I like some few candies. I have enough expensive jewelry. I actually throw cards away (often within 48 hours).

Essentially, I am some MGTOW guy's dream.

9. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like some few candies. I have enough expensive jewelry. I actually throw cards away (often within 48 hours).

Essentially, I am some MGTOW guy's dream.
    I sent the financials per your earlier request...

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    I sent the financials per your earlier request...
    I actually misguided an adult (but Lenten) beverage while reading this.