Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaun White Apologizes for Dragging American Flag

Last Online
    Today @ 9:02 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I have a son, one of the daughters, two grandsons and one granddaughter who snowboard. Sometimes they can be clueless but they're not idiots.
    You simply haven't spent enough snow time at Winter Park or Breck.

I'm not related to anybody I ski with normally (I do related skiing maybe 3 times a season).

I do ski with strangers all the time. They are strange and snowboarders a stranger than downhill people (who have their own weirdness).

This is why I switched to XC years ago. Sharing space with snowboard people was simply too dangerous for all of us and we had no ski culture in common. Which was weird since I had a common ski culture with both downhill and XC people.

In my mind, snowboarding is like trick bike stuff. It's very cool but not sustainable over a lifetime which is a big part of ski culture and bike culture. (I'm a native speaker in both cultures.). My interactions with boarders who are not related to me and who view an over 40 woman in their space differently is probably way off your experience.

Either way, as we say in Colorado - Think Snow!

Last Online
    Today @ 1:02 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I'm not related to anybody I ski with normally (I do related skiing maybe 3 times a season).

I do ski with strangers all the time. They are strange and snowboarders a stranger than downhill people (who have their own weirdness).

This is why I switched to XC years ago. Sharing space with snowboard people was simply too dangerous for all of us and we had no ski culture in common. Which was weird since I had a common ski culture with both downhill and XC people.

In my mind, snowboarding is like trick bike stuff. It's very cool but not sustainable over a lifetime which is a big part of ski culture and bike culture. (I'm a native speaker in both cultures.). My interactions with boarders who are not related to me and who view an over 40 woman in their space differently is probably way off your experience.

It's the weed.
    You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    It did look terrible but to his credit, he made a fairly good apology that strongly emphasized his pride in being an American.

And he is a snowboarder - snowboarders are essentially landlocked surfer dudes. They aren't really known for their polished manners and sensitivity to social norms.

I do think he shouldn't have apologized for calling references to his settlement "gossip". That's exactly what it is so far as all of us are concerned. Settlements aren't an admission of guilt or proof of moral victory. For a lot of people, they are essentially a strategy to minimize potential losses or damage to a brand or reputation.

Who knows what happened between them? Honestly, who cares?
    He's an entertainer. Presumably, the same people who cared that a bunch of other entertainers were accused of the same. Except arguably his conduct is legitimately their concern, as he represents the entire country at an international event, while the others were just fucking their way through Hollywood.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you not know when you have just put your foot in your mouth, or is it that important to always be right? A simple, "No offense intended. Apparently I don't encounter well-brought-up snowboarders." would have been good.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

5. Thanks Michele thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:02 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's the weed.
    LOL! I dunno, maybe. To be honest, I think the first time I ever encountered weed visually was probably on a ski trip with a bunch of 12 - 16 year olds organized by our schools and that was strictly downhill.

In XC, it's pretty normal to run across people who "partake" either during or after. It's not my thing but it's popular and was way before legalization.

I don't know if boarders are more prone in that regard.

Skiing (any style) is kind of schizoid in some ways. The "image" is experiencing The Great Outdoors in a relentlessly healthy and egalitarian way. Hot chocolate for everyone and early bedtimes!

The reality can be different depending on a million things. I've seen a lot of weed and blow in the culture, bad behavior, drunks, thieves, etc. The experience is also very different depending on exposure. If you go 3 or 4 times a year you have a different picture of it (I'm sure the same is true for seashore activities).

Boarding necessarily is weighted toward young men so you have the energy, interests, and tolerances of young men. Fewer women board because fewer women are interested in the challenges of boarding. Fewer older people board partly because we didn't grow up with it but mostly because after a certain point, it's just too dangerous. Let's face it, if you fall over during XC, nothing happens aside from embarrassment. If you miss an angle or lose your attention downhill, you might break your wrist or leg. If you fail in some faster, more aerial stunt in boarding, you can be in permanent world of hurt.

It's young person's game with both the good and bad that comes from that.