Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump administration studies seeking the death penalty for drug dealers

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Trump administration studies seeking the death penalty for drug dealers

Trump administration studies seeking the death penalty for drug dealers

The Trump administration is studying new policy that could allow prosecutors to seek the death penalty for drug dealers, according to people with knowledge of the discussions, a sign that the White House wants to make a strong statement in addressing the opioid crisis.

President Trump last week suggested executing drug dealers as a way to make a dent in opioid addiction. Opioids killed nearly 64,000 people in 2016, and the crisis is straining local health and emergency services.

People familiar with the discussions said that the president’s Domestic Policy Council and the Department of Justice are studying potential policy changes and that a final announcement could come within weeks. The White House has said one approach it might take is to make trafficking large quantities of fentanyl — a powerful synthetic opioid — a capital crime because even small amounts of the drug can be fatal. White House officials also are studying tougher noncapital penalties for large-scale dealers.

Trump said last week that the administration would soon roll out unspecified “strong” policies on opioids. White House officials said Trump has privately expressed interest in Singapore’s policy of executing drug dealers.
    Well, that's the authoritarian approach to the problem.

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through
    -David Bowie, Changes

Last Online
    Today @ 1:22 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he wants to execute drug dealers I hope he starts with the CEOs of all the big pharma companies first, because they're damn every bit as bad as the pusherman on the street corner.

This is so stupid. I want to know what happened in Jeff Sessions' life that he got wound up tighter than Dick's hat band over a little mary jane. The man has some seriously lamentable beliefs about drugs.
    “He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” — President Trump on Kim Jong-un

#MAADA — Make America A Dictatorship Again

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If he wants to execute drug dealers I hope he starts with the CEOs of all the big pharma companies first, because they're damn every bit as bad as the pusherman on the street corner.

This is so stupid. I want to know what happened in Jeff Sessions' life that he got wound up tighter than Dick's hat band over a little mary jane. The man has some seriously lamentable beliefs about drugs.

You think this is about marijuana? It would be interesting to see what our society would be like if we simply did execute drug dealers.

Millions of people saved, as well as trillions of dollars.

One thing we already know, based on our "war on drugs" is that it has to be fought like any other war. Either you're in it to win, or you're not. At this time, we aren't, so the result is what we have now.

Personally, I think all drugs should be legal, because unless you are fighting to win, the battle isn't worth the cost. And America doesn't have the stomach to do what it takes to win.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:35 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Well, that's the authoritarian approach to the problem.
    True and it's wrong.

Related so not to threadjack, why is this authoritarian response bad but the call to have Trump ban guns a good authoritarian response?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    True and it's wrong.

Related so not to threadjack, why is this authoritarian response bad but the call to have Trump ban guns a good authoritarian response?
    Why is it authoritarian? Is calling for the execution of a murderer authoritarian as well?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    True and it's wrong.

Show me this "call to have Trump ban guns" so I know what you're talking about. I have seen efforts to have Congress pass law to ban bump stocks. And there is talk of having Congress pass law to ban so-called "assault weapons." I haven't seen a call to have Trump ban guns. You mean all guns, period? That sounds pretty fringe.

On edit: Is this what you're referring to?

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.
    Last edited by Norm dePlume; Saturday, March 10th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

-David Bowie, Changes

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only specific policy requests there are universal background checks and raising the minimum age.

Okay, so there's the talk of an "assault weapons" ban.

There is no call for a gun ban there. There isn't any specific policy goal there. They are just asking him to break with the NRA.

They cite public support for a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Is that cover from the same issue as that previous article you cited? "Please act" doesn't necessarily mean "ban guns."

A Facebook meme? Really? It's not clear whether that's specific to assault weapons or about guns in general.

None of these things you're citing, except for maybe the Facebook meme, are general calls to "ban guns." Universal background checks and age limits are minor adjustments to gun policy. A ban on assault weapons is a ban on some guns, but citing public support for such a move is democratic, not authoritarian. I suppose if you assume that addressing a message to "Mr. President" means it's a demand for unilateral action, you could imagine that's authoritarian, but I think it's reasonable to assume they're asking for congressional leadership on legislation even where they don't explicitly say so. We already have restrictions on some types of weapons, like full-auto and sawed off shotguns (I won't say "ban" because I don't want to trigger gary again). That line between what weapons we freely allow and what ones are restricted already exists. Talk of an assault weapons ban is just a negotiation over where to draw that line.

And every one of these things you listed is an opinion from a private citizen, not a policy position from a government official. A private citizen might wish for authoritarian actions, but such a wish from someone with actual authority is a bit more alarming, in my book. You may disagree.

-David Bowie, Changes

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.scribd.com/document/3724...018#from_embed

This is a ban on almost every semi automatic pistol, rifle, and shotgun made. The only exemption I know of is a tube magazine on a .22 caliber rifle.

Mark

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    The only specific policy requests there are universal background checks and raising the minimum age.

Okay, so there's the talk of an "assault weapons" ban.

There is no call for a gun ban there. There isn't any specific policy goal there. They are just asking him to break with the NRA.

They cite public support for a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Is that cover from the same issue as that previous article you cited? "Please act" doesn't necessarily mean "ban guns."

A Facebook meme? Really? It's not clear whether that's specific to assault weapons or about guns in general.

None of these things you're citing, except for maybe the Facebook meme, are general calls to "ban guns." Universal background checks and age limits are minor adjustments to gun policy. A ban on assault weapons is a ban on some guns, but citing public support for such a move is democratic, not authoritarian. I suppose if you assume that addressing a message to "Mr. President" means it's a demand for unilateral action, you could imagine that's authoritarian, but I think it's reasonable to assume they're asking for congressional leadership on legislation even where they don't explicitly say so. We already have restrictions on some types of weapons, like full-auto and sawed off shotguns (I won't say "ban" because I don't want to trigger gary again). That line between what weapons we freely allow and what ones are restricted already exists. Talk of an assault weapons ban is just a negotiation over where to draw that line.

And every one of these things you listed is an opinion from a private citizen, not a policy position from a government official. A private citizen might wish for authoritarian actions, but such a wish from someone with actual authority is a bit more alarming, in my book. You may disagree.
    This reminds me of the time you said nobody supporting Obamacare wanted single payer. You argued that minutiae over and over too.

All of the "common sense" gun control measures are meant to be a step towards bans and confiscation. You are lying to us and yourself if you don't see that.
    Last edited by scott; Saturday, March 10th, 2018 at 3:45 PM.

link

Time will tell.