Thread: Trump Proposal for School Safety.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Trump Proposal for School Safety.

(CNN) —
    The Trump administration unveiled several gun and school safety proposals Sunday night, including making efforts to harden security at the nation's schools, improve background checks of those buying guns and overhaul aspects of the mental health system.

The proposals do not include a formal plan to increase the age limit for buying certain firearms, a policy President Donald Trump has said he would support.
    On giving firearms to teacher volunteers.

The administration also plans to support the transition of military veterans and retired law enforcement into new careers in education and will encourage state attorneys general to audit school districts for compliance with state emergency preparedness activities.

Federal agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security, also will partner with states and local governments to support a public awareness campaign modeled on the department's "see something, say something" antiterrorism campaign to encourage the awareness and reporting of suspicious activity, the administration announced.
    I like this idea for two reasons. Teacher culture is different than let's say law enforcement culture. As a result, very few of them would entertain the idea of keeping a weapon just in case. I feel that amounts to wanting to do nothing. What I don't like is this idea of using former law enforcement. For the past few years, we've watched law enforcement REPEATEDLY get away with shooting unarmed people. People of color, white people, autistic people, etc. I want an armed volunteer to be VERY WELL TRAINED regarding picking up which students are a danger and which ones aren't. I'm sorry to say the lack of paranoia comes with experience.

When I first went into substituting years ago, I was scared of some of the high school kids and then I found out they were doing volunteer work for a good cause. As time went by, I realized some of them could be dangerous on the outside, but the idea was to get to come to an understanding when they're in your classroom. This is very true with some forms of Special Ed (especially Occupational Preparation).

I think that traditional educators and law enforcement/veterans could teach each other some things. Veterans and law enforcement can teach educators how to not see the gun as the automatic enemy. Hopefully, most former law enforcement are not paranoid, but I think they could learn more who might be a true danger and who isn't. I'm sorry, but not all those police shootings were justified. I came out with the conclusion that some cops were flat out paranoid, so this part does concern me.

The administration is backing the "Fix NICS" bill introduced by Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, and Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, which intends to improve the information going into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System by offering financial incentives to federal and state authorities to comply with existing law to report criminal history records.
    Further, the administration voiced support for legislation dubbed the "STOP School Violence Act," which would provide states with funding for training, technology and other assistance to help schools identify and prevent violent acts.

The Trump administration also called on states to adopt "extreme risk protection orders," with technical assistance from the Department of Justice. The orders would allow law enforcement officers, with approval from a court, to remove firearms from those who pose a threat to themselves or others and temporarily to prevent individuals from purchasing new firearms.
    The president is proposing increased integration of mental health, primary care and family services, as well as support for programs that utilize court-ordered treatment.
    Rest is here.

http://www.wxii12.com/article/white-...osals/19399127

Last Online
    Today @ 6:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    For the past few years, we've watched law enforcement REPEATEDLY get away with shooting unarmed people. People of color, white people, autistic people, etc.
    No, we haven't.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    No, we haven't.

Perhaps you want to fall for it every time, but I won't. As far as I'm concerned, that's as blind as BLM protesters always assuming the black suspect was innocent. It's not that black and white (no pun intended). I looked at individual cases. Some were justified. The officer had a legitimate reason to believe they were in danger. Some was flat out paranoia and there is never a consequence for it. If that's what the cop is going to be like, they have no business in the school system. That's because you'll see black folks, white people in poverty, and autistic kids being aggressive at times, not always following orders, etc. They shouldn't die for that. Let's put it another way. The measure to protect kids in schools better not result in people getting shot when they posed no threat.

I'm sorry, but some of this shit is NOT justified. I don't want these type of officers in the schools. They have no business being near those with special needs. Actually, they have no business being a cop, but that's another matter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d67e2481c523

Helper tells the cop the boy beside him is autistic and he's the therapist. He further told the cops that what the boy had in his hand was a truck, not a gun. The cops shot anyway. When he asked why, the cop said "I don't know." Keep a cop like that out of our schools.

Or how about this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/u...ting-deaf.html

An Oklahoma City police officer fatally shot a man on Tuesday night despite pleas from neighbors that the man was deaf and could not hear the commands to drop a metal pipe he was holding, the authorities said.

The man, Madgiel Sanchez, was shot around 8:15 p.m. outside his home soon after the police responded there to investigate a hit-and-run accident. The first officer to arrive called for backup, pulled out his Taser and ordered Mr. Sanchez, 35, who was on his front porch, to drop the two-foot-long pipe he was clutching, the police said.
    He never left home without the pipe, wielding it shoo away stray dogs, Mr. Rayos said.

Capt. Bo Mathews, a department spokesman, said the police did not know yet why one officer pulled out his Taser while the other had his handgun
    Mr. Sanchez also used the pipe to communicate with people, moving it around to try to convey what he meant, Mr. Rayos said. It was the same motion Mr. Sanchez made before the police shot him, Mr. Rayos said.
    No business in our schools.

People with special needs are often misunderstood by average people and cops are included. All I ask is that the cop turned teacher is somebody who isn't paranoid. I don't care if police have a reason to be paranoid. I really don't. Not in this case. Those are kids and the idea is to protect them.

And black people can also be misunderstood too. White people who are poor can often be misunderstood. Those misunderstandings shouldn't result in death. Death is permanent.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps you want to fall for it every time, but I won't. As far as I'm concerned, that's as blind as BLM protesters always assuming the black suspect was innocent. It's not that black and white (no pun intended). I looked at individual cases. Some were justified. The officer had a legitimate reason to believe they were in danger. Some was flat out paranoia and there is never a consequence for it. If that's what the cop is going to be like, they have no business in the school system. That's because you'll see black folks, white people in poverty, and autistic kids being aggressive at times, not always following orders, etc. They shouldn't die for that. Let's put it another way. The measure to protect kids in schools better not result in people getting shot when they posed no threat.

I'm sorry, but some of this shit is NOT justified. I don't want these type of officers in the schools. They have no business being near those with special needs. Actually, they have no business being a cop, but that's another matter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d67e2481c523

Helper tells the cop the boy beside him is autistic and he's the therapist. He further told the cops that what the boy had in his hand was a truck, not a gun. The cops shot anyway. When he asked why, the cop said "I don't know." Keep a cop like that out of our schools.
    And just precisely how did he "get away with it" when he's been arrested and charged with four felonies for the shooting.

You gotta be shittin' me! Holy sheepshit!

The officer’s commands did not register with Mr. Sanchez. He ambled off the porch toward the officer, waving the pipe in his right hand, according to the police and a witness.
    Guy approaches cops swinging a metal pipe and you think that shooting isn't justified? Good grief.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lanie, I am sure there are police shootings that aren't justified. In a country filled with thousands of cops, who confront citizens thousands of times per day, logic says there has to be.

But, logic also tells me that by the number of incidents we hear about, bad cops are a very minuscule number of the total police force in this country. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    And just precisely how did he "get away with it" when he's been arrested and charged with four felonies for the shooting.

You gotta be shittin' me! Holy sheepshit!

Guy approaches cops swinging a metal pipe and you think that shooting isn't justified? Good grief.
    I know you read the article in context about the pipes. He used them to try to scare away dogs and another form of communication I believe. Meanwhile, I don't think the cops were deaf when the neighbors yelled not to shoot because the guy was deaf.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I guess I'm still protective over school kids even though I'm not a teacher. I just want the people who put in these people to make sure the perspective educators with the police background and very well trained in a variety of issues. Education is not law enforcement. Law enforcement is about catching the bad guy and sometimes taking them out. Education is all about trying to teach people, sometimes teaching them stuff that you weren't hired to teach. That means looking past scary stereotypes to try to get through to people. And if you're only a volunteer at the school, you still need to learn more about looking past scary stereotypes.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know you read the article in context about the pipes. He used them to try to scare away dogs and another form of communication I believe. Meanwhile, I don't think the cops were deaf when the neighbors yelled not to shoot because the guy was deaf.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I guess I'm still protective over school kids even though I'm not a teacher. I just want the people who put in these people to make sure the perspective educators with the police background and very well trained in a variety of issues. Education is not law enforcement. Law enforcement is about catching the bad guy and sometimes taking them out. Education is all about trying to teach people, sometimes teaching them stuff that you weren't hired to teach. That means looking past scary stereotypes to try to get through to people. And if you're only a volunteer at the school, you still need to learn more about looking past scary stereotypes.
    Let's put a gun in your hand and have some guy approach you waving a pipe.

Good luck not shooting him after you watch a few hours of video showing what happens when you give pipe-wielding people the benefit of the doubt.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Education is all about trying to teach people,
    Bull!! In many if not most instances Education is about personal employment.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
    — Ernest Hemingway

9. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean stereotypes like "cops get away with shooting Black people for no reason?"

11. Likes scott liked this post