Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Say Hello to Full Employment

Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Why should they when Chick-fil-A is paying $18/hpours to keep their employees?
    There goes Trump again, winning the Fight for Fifteen without firing a single shot.

It's pretty amazing, I know, but when no one wants to work at McDonald's for $11/hour, McDonald's will wind up having to pay more to hire people. Incredibly, I hired a plumber once with a Gore/Lieberman sticker on his bumper and told him that I wanted all of the copper pipe in my kitchen replaced for fifty bucks. He said that he wouldn't do it for that cheap, so I wound up paying him more for the job than I was originally offering.

Crazy how that works.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They appear to be down here from the pre-Deepwater peak, but are climbing slowly back up.

The Now Hiring signs are as permanent as the sunrise and sunset, too. No one wants to work McDonald's for $11/hr for some reason.
    And lose their welfare benefits?

That's part of the problem.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

So what's it going to take for wages to start going up?
    Get more people trained for high in demand jobs. Openings for plumbers and welders do no good if nobody has the skills the work the job and nobody does on the job training.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this at least part of the future. AI can replace most administrative work and it can replace a lot of production jobs. So both middle class and blue collar jobs will be affected.

You have to get into something else.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Get more people trained for high in demand jobs. Openings for plumbers and welders do no good if nobody has the skills the work the job and nobody does on the job training.
    There is training. It's called Community College or Adult Continuing Education.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Why should they when Chick-fil-A is paying $18/hpours to keep their employees?
    The cost of living, I'm going to wage (hah) is a lot higher in Suckramento than it is here in Alabama.

Funny you mention Chick-fil-A though; the one in my town is one of the few places that does not have to advertise that they are hiring. They attract good workers, and somehow are paying $9/hr while everyone else is a buck or two higher. Go figure.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cost of living, I'm going to wage (hah) is a lot higher in Suckramento than it is here in Alabama.

Funny you mention Chick-fil-A though; the one in my town is one of the few places that does not have to advertise that they are hiring. They attract good workers, and somehow are paying $9/hr while everyone else is a buck or two higher. Go figure.
    Maybe, just maybe, people actually like working there more than they do other places. What with all of that hatred that goes on and all.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Job growth slumps in September, but the unemployment rate hits the lowest level since 1969

Unemployment dropped to 3.7%.

I'm not too worried about the "slump," and per earlier exchanges in this thread, wages will respond:
    The closely watched average hourly earnings component showed a 2.8 percent year-over-year increase, in line with Wall Street estimates.

August's initial jobs count was revised up dramatically, from 201,000 to 270,000, while July's numbers came up as well, from 147,000 to 165,000.
    Emphasis added.

Obama continues his spectacular work as magician emeritus, bless his heart. I still don't find much (any) enthusiastic reporting of his campaign for Democrats this fall, but I did notice that Beto signaled he's just not into Barack:

Beto O'Rourke on possible endorsement from Obama: "I don't think we're interested."

Ouch. Barack must feel a bit like Rodney Dangerfield. Now more than ever, we need the former president to barnstorm the country, reminding voters to remember just who it is that's responsible for this booming economy.

Maybe they will.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Magician emeritus."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe people like not working on Sundays.