Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A homeless South Beach artist has no arms. But he stabbed a tourist, police say

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

A homeless South Beach artist has no arms. But he stabbed a tourist, police say

A homeless South Beach artist has no arms. But he stabbed a tourist, police say
    BY HOWARD COHEN

hcohen@miamiherald.com

July 11, 2018 02:04 PM

Updated July 11, 2018 03:18 PM

Jonathan Crenshaw is one of those South Beach characters you can't help but notice.

For years, the 46-year-old homeless man, who weighs all of 90 pounds, has painted on canvas on Lincoln Road Mall, drawing the attention of tourists and passersby for his artistic skills.

That Crenshaw is armless and paints using his feet probably has much to do with the attention he gets.

But on Tuesday, just after midnight, Miami Beach police say that Crenshaw stabbed one of those tourists. Crenshaw, police say, used a pair of scissors he clutched with his feet to stab Cesar Coronado, 22, who was visiting Miami Beach from Chicago.

According to the arrest report, Crenshaw said he was lying down when Coronado approached him and punched him in the head. He stabbed Coronado twice, put the scissors back into his waistband, and quickly walked off, police say.

Miami Beach officers found the victim lying on the ground, bleeding from his left arm. Paramedics took Coronado to Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Coronado, and his friend, Cindy Barrientos, 22, and also visiting from Chicago, came upon Crenshaw in the 1600 block of Collins Avenue. Both told responding officers that Coronado was just asking Crenshaw for directions when he jumped up and stabbed him.

Barrientos described the attacker as a homeless man with no arms. Police found Crenshaw nearby in the 200 block of Lincoln Road. When Crenshaw was apprehended he told one of the officers he was defending himself.

Crenshaw is being held at Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on $7,500 bond. He has a court date on July 18.

Crenshaw's arrest record includes previous offenses dating to 2008, for trespassing, disorderly intoxication, vandalism, and battery on police officers, firefights and city code inspectors.

In 2011, Miami New Times profiled Crenshaw. The street artist told the weekly paper nothing about how he came to lack arms but said he was born in Alabama and moved around a lot with his mother, who, he claimed, fed him rat poison. He also told New Times that he impregnated many women, including pop star Gloria Estefan, who, he said, gave birth to 200 of his children.
    I'm completely impressed.

Miami Herald
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 1:55 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impressed because of the stabbing or giving Gloria Estefan 200 children?

Gotta hand it to the guy, he must have some flexible feet. Personally, I'd want to keep someone like this at arm's length. He'd probably get his life together if he had a hand up instead of asking for handouts. I'm grasping for another joke here, but coming up empty handed, so I'll stop now.
    “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer! … Every breath I take without your permission increases my self-esteem!” - Rick Sanchez

Last Online
    Sunday, March 24th, 2019 @ 4:25 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about a "Gingersnap special".

It's like they're making stuff up for you now.
    You can't unburn bridges.

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

5. Likes Newman, JB liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Gotta hand it to the guy, he must have some flexible feet. Personally, I'd want to keep someone like this at arm's length. He'd probably get his life together if he had a hand up instead of asking for handouts. I'm grasping for another joke here, but coming up empty handed, so I'll stop now.
    Go sit in the corner with Norm!
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, kind of conflicted. The idea of Estefan having 200 kids is intriguing.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Talk about a "Gingersnap special".

It's like they're making stuff up for you now.
    It's Florida - they don't have to work at it on my account.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:29 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Honestly, kind of conflicted. The idea of Estefan having 200 kids is intriguing.
    He also told New Times that he impregnated many women, including pop star Gloria Estefan, who, he said, gave birth to 200 of his children.
    Where have the editors gone?

"Asking for handouts"?

"No, just hands."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The deft foot action is also impressive.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Just speaking off the cuff here, but sounds like the guy likes his elbow room. Sounds like he has enough burdens to shoulder without being fingered for assault. I do give him a thumbs up since, while being homeless, he is attempting to lift himself up a bit.
    Get off the cross, we need the wood.

12. Likes Gingersnap liked this post