Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Woman Mistakes Dynamite Stick For Candle In Power Outage, Suffers ‘Extreme’ Injuries

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Posts
    19,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Woman Mistakes Dynamite Stick For Candle In Power Outage, Suffers ‘Extreme’ Injuries

    Woman Mistakes Dynamite Stick For Candle In Power Outage, Suffers ‘Extreme’ Injuries

    September 7, 2018 at 12:12 pmFiled Under:Connecticut, Local TV

    BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (CBS) – A Connecticut woman mistakenly lit a stick of dynamite instead of a candle during a power outage and suffered severe injuries Thursday night, police said.

    Authorities said the “tragic accident” happened to the 30-year-old mother of two on Lindley Street after thunderstorms passed through the Bridgeport area. The family tried to go to Home Depot to buy emergency lighting, but the store was closed.

    When they got back home, they went to get what they believed were candles left behind in the basement by previous residents.

    “She attempted to light one of what she thought was the candle and turned out to be a quarter stick of dynamite,” police said.

    The woman was taken to the hospital with “extreme injuries” to her hands, and she might lose fingers. She also suffered serious facial injuries, police said. The explosion did not injure anyone else.

    Police and the fire department later searched the home and removed another dynamite device. It’s against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in Connecticut, but police aren’t pressing charges.

    Authorities are reminding people to make sure they have backup lighting in their home in the event of an outage, and to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to police.
    I'm trying to understand what happened here.

    I doubt she really found a "quarter stick of dynamite". People do use dynamite on farms and ranches and it comes in different sizes but nobody keeps it around just in case they may need some. You buy what you need, use it, and then blow it up for fun if you have any extra - it's not stable. Besides, I don't even think you can get any that doesn't use blasting caps and det cord anymore.

    This sounds more like some kind of firework type of thing but even those illegal ones don't really look like candles and the fuses really don't look like candle wicks and don't behave that way. Roman candles and those little ones for cakes don't explode.

    How did this happen?

    Don't get me wrong - this an awful, life-changing event but I just don't understand how it happened.

    CBS
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

  3. Likes Newman, Gingersnap liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Posts
    19,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Snaps had a theory. The woman is 30 so he believes there is remote chance that she had never handled either explosives or candles before.

    I remember being kind of astonished that a woman I worked with would not allow candles in the house because she feared her 16 year old daughter would burn the place down inadvertently while the woman was gone.

    SIXTEEN years old - old enough to drive a 3,000 pound death machine but too inexperienced to light a candle safely and extinguish it responsibly and this was years ago.

    So, I guess it's possible that this woman simply had never used either candles or fireworks and was innocent of the difference.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  5. Likes scott liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Posts
    10,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Mr. Snaps had a theory. The woman is 30 so he believes there is remote chance that she had never handled either explosives or candles before.

    I remember being kind of astonished that a woman I worked with would not allow candles in the house because she feared her 16 year old daughter would burn the place down inadvertently while the woman was gone.

    SIXTEEN years old - old enough to drive a 3,000 pound death machine but too inexperienced to light a candle safely and extinguish it responsibly and this was years ago.

    So, I guess it's possible that this woman simply had never used either candles or fireworks and was innocent of the difference.
    True and plausible.

    But I think drugs. Cooking meth and oops!
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

    link

    Time will tell.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Posts
    19,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    True and plausible.

    But I think drugs. Cooking meth and oops!
    Hadn't thought of that. Today, they mostly use the shake-and-bake method. The container (usually a big soda bottle) can explode due to pressure but your big risk there is more about inhaling really toxic stuff or getting a chemical burn rather than having your hand blown off.

    I'd guess that the first responders would have noticed a meth set-up plus that stuff smells in a very distinctive way that nobody ever forgets. When I did analyses of meth stuff for forensics, I used a fume hood and hazmat gear and the smell still got on me.

    Ick.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:55 PM
    Posts
    10,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    How did this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Mr. Snaps had a theory.
    As do I. I didn't find the universal qualifier, but I imagine it was accidentally omitted:

    Police suspect alcohol may have been involved.


  9. Likes scott liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Posts
    19,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    As do I. I didn't find the universal qualifier, but I imagine it was accidentally omitted:

    Police suspect alcohol may have been involved.

    I mean how drunk do you need to be to.......okay.

    What was I thinking?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  11. Likes scott liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Posts
    10,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. Today, they mostly use the shake-and-bake method. The container (usually a big soda bottle) can explode due to pressure but your big risk there is more about inhaling really toxic stuff or getting a chemical burn rather than having your hand blown off.

    I'd guess that the first responders would have noticed a meth set-up plus that stuff smells in a very distinctive way that nobody ever forgets. When I did analyses of meth stuff for forensics, I used a fume hood and hazmat gear and the smell still got on me.

    Ick.
    Plenty of fires around here are listed as "no cause found" but the occupant just happens to be also arrested for meth a few weeks later.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

    link

    Time will tell.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Posts
    19,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Plenty of fires around here are listed as "no cause found" but the occupant just happens to be also arrested for meth a few weeks later.
    Pretty much everything involved with any meth cook is either flammable on its own or 'highly energetic' when it comes into contact with water.

    On the plus side, a lot of tweakers are very focused so often they are surprisingly detail-oriented.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •