Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Intern Arrested For Reportedly Doxing Senator During Kavanaugh Hearing (Update)

Last Online
    Today @ 4:55 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

House Intern Arrested For Reportedly Doxing Senator During Kavanaugh Hearing (Update)

House Intern Arrested For Reportedly Doxing Senator During Kavanaugh Hearing
    October 4, 20184:34 AM ET

EMILY SULLIVAN

Capitol Police have arrested a man accused of publishing to the Internet restricted personal information about South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Jackson A. Cosko of Washington, D.C., who identifies as a "Democratic political professional" on his LinkedIn page, was charged with making public restricted personal information, witness tampering, second-degree burglary, threatening interstate communications, unauthorized use of a government computer, identity theft and unlawful entry.

Last week, Gizmodo reported that personal information for GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham, Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch of the Senate Judiciary Committee was posted online as the lawmakers heard testimony from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault.

Information including home addresses, private cellphone numbers and more was reportedly added to the lawmakers' respective Wikipedia pages in a series of edits. Home addresses of politicians are generally public information, thanks to campaign filings, but their personal cellphone numbers are not. Screenshots of the personal information circulated throughout Twitter.

Wikipedia tracks each edit a page receives on a public revision history log, including the edit's IP address.

On his LinkedIn page, Cosko, 27, lists experience as a legislative corespondent and technology systems administrator at the Senate. He is also a graduate student studying cybersecurity policy and compliance at the George Washington University's School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Politico reports that Cosko was working as an intern in the office of Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas at the time of his arrest and that he has since been fired.

Capitol Police say their investigation continues and that additional charges may be added.
    NPR
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 3:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Another report, confirming what I heard on the radio this morning about "seven charges" including "witness tampering."

Democratic operative charged with 'doxxing' senators
    Police charged Jackson A. Cosko, 27, with threats, witness tampering, unauthorized access of a government computer, identity theft, burglary, unlawful entry and publicizing restricted personal information. The charges include both federal and local offenses.
    This seems odd to me. Maybe they had to cobble together a bunch of infractions to get at the point, which is that doxxing is dangerous.

Or maybe there's more to this than meets the eye. Witness tampering?

Well, pfft. He's a white boy. One less wannabe rapist in D.C., sez me.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think (hope) this might turn out differently than a similar crime launched outside of a government office.

Surely even Lee and all her elected friends understand that this kind of behavior can be turned on themselves as easily as it was on the Republicans. I would think they would all unite to punish this as harshly as possible as a lesson.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:13 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think (hope) this might turn out differently than a similar crime launched outside of a government office.
    Like during a presidential campaign rally?

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through
    -David Bowie, Changes

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the reaction to that moment:

LOL! Guess Graham is unfamiliar with pig-wrestling.

CBS

-David Bowie, Changes

6. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Like during a presidential campaign rally?

This wasn't a smart idea but Trump wasn't an employee of a member of Congress, he didn't have access to government computers, and I doubt he'd signed any security agreements involving his phone contact list.

You seem to want to make the case that if one does it, then all can do it and that the legal restraints of one apply to all (in this case, they don't). If you'd read my post, you'd realize that I was speaking specifically about employees. That poses a threat to all members of Congress unlike Trump's campaign stunt, which was one-off.

In this case, the potential threat is to all members from any quarter. It's a legitimate security risk, not a campaign tactic. Graham destroyed his cellphone on video as a counter-stunt and then later gave Trump his new private number.

This is not that.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:18 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see witness tampering. I hope he gets 60 years.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
    I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. It's a crime for a lackey to publicize someone's cellphone number, but for your Orange Crush it's just a stunt.

-David Bowie, Changes

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Accused doxxer of GOP senators allegedly threatened to publish their children’s health information

By Adam Shaw, Jake Gibson | Fox News

A Democratic congressional aide accused of publishing the private information of at least three Republican lawmakers allegedly threatened to leak senators’ children's health information if a witness told anyone about his activities.

Jackson Cosko, who recently worked for Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, was arrested for allegedly posting the personal information (or "doxxing") of a number of senators including Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah on Wikipedia -- with information such as their home addresses and phone numbers. Graham, Lee and Hatch's information was published on Thursday.

According to a sworn statement by Capitol Police Captain Jason Bell, a witness Tuesday saw Cosko at a computer in a senator’s office, where he used to work, a day after two other unnamed senators' information had been put on Wikipedia. Cosko worked for other Democratic senators including Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and former Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif. While earlier reports identified Cosko as an intern for Jackson Lee, his lawyer said that he was working as a fellow in her office, paid by an outside institution.

Sources familiar with the case tell Fox News Cosko was in Sen. Hassan's office, where he was not authorized to be and was caught using a login he was not authorized to use. Cosko earlier was let go by Senator Hassan's office. A spokesman for Hassan says she "strongly denounces the alleged actions.”

According to Bell's statement, Cosko is alleged to have been confronted by the staffer and then walked out. The staffer then called police. Hours later the witness received an email from "livefreeorpwn@gmail.com" saying: “If you tell anyone I will leak it all. Emails signal conversations gmails. Senators children’s health information and socials.”

“Socials” apparently referred to social security numbers, while Signal is a secure messaging application. Bell said that there was probably cause to believe that Cosko published the information of senators, and then made threatening statements directed to the unnamed witness “with the intent to hinder, delay, or prevent” the witness from reporting it to authorities.
    Fox

Last Online
    Today @ 2:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes that envelope hand-off by Sheila Jackson Lee in the middle of the hearings appear to be a notation of the completion of work done.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post