Thread: VA owes veterans housing allowances under the GI Bill, forcing some into debt

Last Online
    Today @ 6:09 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

VA owes veterans housing allowances under the GI Bill, forcing some into debt

VA owes veterans housing allowances under the GI Bill, forcing some into debt

If Jane Wiley and her husband Ryan Wiley, both discharged from the Marines, don’t receive the housing allowance they get through the GI Bill by November 1, she expects that they will run out of money for food and rent. The two former Marines would also have to stop attending school if they can't afford childcare for their two kids.

The Wiley family is not alone. Because of a software issue, the Department of Veteran Affairs is struggling to pay student veterans the housing allowance and other benefits provided to them via the GI Bill.

The federal agency has paid some veterans too much, too little, or nothing at all. It is up to two months late on payments in some cases, forcing potentially thousands of former service members to spiral financially.

The VA said the problem currently stems from an IT problem caused by changes to the law when President Donald Trump signed the Forever GI Act last year. New standards for calculating housing stipends were to be implemented on August 1, but it caused “severe critical errors” during testing that “resulted in incorrect payments,” VA spokesman Terrence Hayes said.
    The bucks stop here.

Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.
    -George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder who the software company is. In Pennsylvania we've had a lot of difficulty with a statewide software and yet that bureaucracy is so burdened that there doesn't seem to be a very easy way to turn the ship.
    I can only imagine that the federal wheels turn even more slowly.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fed g7ubmi9nt. Anyone expect differently? Except those who get social security, of course.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must be some seriously bad coding going on. This seems like something that could easily be addressed simply with something like Microsoft Access on a network scale, and a minor change in the amount paid (a 1% increase in this case) should be something that can be addressed with changing a single cell value.

I suspect that we have something akin to what happened with Hindenburg.gov here: a bunch of government "software engineers" built something so incredibly inflexible that it cannot deal with even the slightest change without re-writing the whole system.
    Last edited by Adam; Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 at 9:50 AM. Reason: correct tense
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:09 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.
    -George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    As of today, not fixed yet.
    Things may be beginning to fray at the edges.
    "But this is the year in which I get to smile at all of those naysayers—every single mediocre insecure wannabe who fixes their mouth to suggest that I do not belong on this stage, that people like me cannot possibly have earned such an honor, that when they win it it’s meritocracy but when we win it it’s “identity politics” — I get to smile at those people, and lift a massive, shining, rocket-shaped middle finger in their direction."

~ N. K. Jemisin

Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Things may be beginning to fray at the edges.
    I suppose you felt the same way when the Obamacare clusterfuck was rolled out?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does it seem like the government cannot do computer programs. Here's a helpful hint. Hire the same guys who set up Amazon to set up these programs.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Why does it seem like the government cannot do computer programs. Here's a helpful hint. Hire the same guys who set up Amazon to set up these programs.

Mark
    Or even the already gubmint ones who do social security.