Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's for Dinner (11/14/18 Edition)

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's carbs of any kind - sweet or not. Mashed potatoes or rice is the same as a candy or a cake thing.
    And sweet potatoes are already high-carbohydrate. So why would anyone add sugar?
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    And sweet potatoes are already high-carbohydrate. So why would anyone add sugar?
    Well, I have never willingly eaten any sweet potato thing in my life. Socially forced a few times (ick).

I've made the candied yam thing because they want it. Never tasted it and never will. They like it so I assume it's correct. Who knows really?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have never willingly eaten any sweet potato thing in my life. Socially forced a few times (ick).

I've made the candied yam thing because they want it. Never tasted it and never will. They like it so I assume it's correct. Who knows really?
    I make sweet potato casserole once a year. It's a family tradition. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 the brown sugar the recipe calls for. Any other time I do sweet potatoes, they're just baked and served with a little butter, and I often eat them plain. They're already plenty sweet.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I make sweet potato casserole once a year. It's a family tradition. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 the brown sugar the recipe calls for. Any other time I do sweet potatoes, they're just baked and served with a little butter, and I often eat them plain. They're already plenty sweet.
    To be honest, I simply don't eat orange foods (except very finely diced carrots and I actually grow the non-orange kind). That's neither here nor there.

Wait, was this thread about?

Well, we had excellent fish cakes, a stellar mac and cheese (use gouda), and peas or something like that. (I gave Scout the veggie part more or less.)

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, I simply don't eat orange foods (except very finely diced carrots and I actually grow the non-orange kind). That's neither here nor there.

Wait, was this thread about?

Well, we had excellent fish cakes, a stellar mac and cheese (use gouda), and peas or something like that. (I gave Scout the veggie part more or less.)
    I love fish cakes. Mom used to make codfish cakes. Mmmmmm. I like to mix my peas into my mashed potatoes. There used to be a restaurant in the Haight that served only various kinds of mac'n'cheese. Great place for a cold SF night (apologies to Eric Burdon). Hmmm...no orange food. No oranges, tangerines or persimmons. No big crunchy carrots. No sweet potatoes, obviously. Peaches? Mango? What about salmon? Halloween Oreos? Orange sorbet? Weird hangup.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love fish cakes. Mom used to make codfish cakes. Mmmmmm. I like to mix my peas into my mashed potatoes. There used to be a restaurant in the Haight that served only various kinds of mac'n'cheese. Great place for a cold SF night (apologies to Eric Burdon). Hmmm...no orange food. No oranges, tangerines or persimmons. No big crunchy carrots. No sweet potatoes, obviously. Peaches? Mango? What about salmon? Halloween Oreos? Orange sorbet? Weird hangup.
    Salmon, yes.

Yeah, it's weird but not debilitating and I've done weird crazy. This is nothing. Of all the stupid, weird, crazy things I have done, this is weird at 1/10.

Sadly, I have done weird at 10/10. I know weird. Intimately.

This is just nothing on that scale. Even my psychiatrist (I do have one) thinks it's kink not a feature.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salmon, yes.

Yeah, it's weird but not debilitating and I've done weird crazy. This is nothing. Of all the stupid, weird, crazy things I have done, this is weird at 1/10.

Sadly, I have done weird at 10/10. I know weird. Intimately.

This is just nothing on that scale. Even my psychiatrist (I do have one) thinks it's kink not a feature.
    Oh, not clinically weird. Just weird on the order of people who can't have their food touch other food, like Philly (IIRC) and my sister Honoria. Trust me, I have lived with crazy, and I recognize it when I see it. Weird is not always crazy. More eccentric.

People back on the Shore think I'm weird because I won't eat raw clams or oysters. Crazy is crazy; weird is situational and cultural.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, not clinically weird. Just weird on the order of people who can't have their food touch other food, like Philly (IIRC) and my sister Honoria. Trust me, I have lived with crazy, and I recognize it when I see it. Weird is not always crazy. More eccentric.

People back on the Shore think I'm weird because I won't eat raw clams or oysters. Crazy is crazy; weird is situational and cultural.
    I am officially "eccentric". Sounds way better than, "The woman who never eats sweet potatoes because orange".

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am officially "eccentric". Sounds way better than, "The woman who never eats sweet potatoes because orange".
    In my family, we aspire to being old enough to be called "eccentric" instead of just "crazy."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my family, we aspire to being old enough to be called "eccentric" instead of just "crazy."
    An aspiration well worth emulating!