Thread: Thanksgiving Gun Stuff

Last Online
    Today @ 1:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanksgiving Gun Stuff

We usually host all the tribe for Thanksgiving but this year Dear BIL decided to do it (first time in decades). Whatever - I'm fine with it. I need to make a goose (that I shot). No problem (I'm also bringing a darling Nordic Ware Pumpkin Loaf Cake because it's incredibly attractive).

Not the point, really.

The point is that Dear BIL is a reenactor guy who does Mountain Man stuff. So after the big feed we will repair to the slope and shoot black powder guns. I've handled the pistol and one rifle before and it's a different experience but he has more rifles for us to try this time.

I believe some others are bringing unusual guns also so it should be a lot of fun.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 1:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We usually host all the tribe for Thanksgiving but this year Dear BIL decided to do it (first time in decades). Whatever - I'm fine with it. I need to make a goose (that I shot). No problem (I'm also bringing a darling Nordic Ware Pumpkin Loaf Cake because it's incredibly attractive).

Not the point, really.

The point is that Dear BIL is a reenactor guy who does Mountain Man stuff. So after the big feed we will repair to the slope and shoot black powder guns. I've handled the pistol and one rifle before and it's a different experience but he has more rifles for us to try this time.

I believe some others are bringing unusual guns also so it should be a lot of fun.
    The delay on a flintlock type black powder rifle takes some getting used to. Does your BIL go to the big mountain meeting in Dunton, CO. We stayed there in a little cabin for a weekend and it ended up being a "mountain man" gathering.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The delay on a flintlock type black powder rifle takes some getting used to. Does your BIL go to the big mountain meeting in Dunton, CO. We stayed there in a little cabin for a weekend and it ended up being a "mountain man" gathering.
    Yep, he does all the Rendezvous within 5 states. I sew all his clothing and it's a bitch doing buttons and pants - it's all "authentic".

I sew for SCA and others but these people are insane.

We've been there for these things but not camped (and I camp relentlessly) - just too weird for me.

That said, I will fire every gun he has. The blow back thing is weird but I'm used to it now. The recoil is surprisingly light.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yep, he does all the Rendezvous within 5 states. I sew all his clothing and it's a bitch doing buttons and pants - it's all "authentic".

I sew for SCA and others but these people are insane.

We've been there for these things but not camped (and I camp relentlessly) - just too weird for me.

That said, I will fire every gun he has. The blow back thing is weird but I'm used to it now. The recoil is surprisingly light.
    More of a push because of the slower burn rate of black powder as compared to most smokeless powders. This is a clip of a 4 bore firing a 1000 grain projectile. quite the "push".

If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah!

His stuff is all vaguely 1820. There's weird blow back.