Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you folks think about the Dow Jones Index?

Last Online
    Today @ 2:20 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I said I would have labor representation involved in the negotiations.

I'll tell you what. I'll just wait for one goldfish memory span and you won't remember we ever had this conversation.
    Last edited by Norm dePlume; Monday, May 13th, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.
    -George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    That's why I said I would have labor representation involved in the negotiations.

I'll tell you what. I'll just wait for one goldfish memory span and you won't remember we ever had this conversation.
    Its amazing that we haven't voted you king of the world yet. You seem to be able to solve problems with ease that we have been struggling with for years.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Its amazing that we haven't voted you king of the world yet. You seem to be able to solve problems with ease that we have been struggling with for years.

Mark
    I never said negotiating a TPP type deal would be easy.

Dear Leader told you that winning a trade war was easy, and renegotiating trade deals was easy. You swallowed it. You're still swallowing it.

Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the economy is doing good. That doesn't mean we're winning the trade war, and it doesn't mean they're losing it.

U.S. Trade Deficit Exploded In 2018 As Total Trade Hit A Record $4 Trillion

What was China's GDP growth in 2018? What was ours?
    When you aren't hurting, you are winning. Regardless of what is happening to China.

Mark
    Why didn't you answer the question? What was China's GDP growth in 2018 and what was ours? You're capable of looking that up, right?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never said negotiating a TPP type deal would be easy.

Dear Leader told you that winning a trade war was easy, and renegotiating trade deals was easy. You swallowed it. You're still swallowing it.
    Swallowing it? Objective reality shows me who is correct.

And it ain't you Norm.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why didn't you answer the question? What was China's GDP growth in 2018 and what was ours? You're capable of looking that up, right?
    I told you, I don't care. All that matters to me is how it affects our economy, and to me, it look like we are winning.

If Chinas growth was good in 2018, can you imagine how much better it would be if they still had a nation of suckers to palm their crap off on?(And how much worse ours would be?)

Mark

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um, have you seen the economy? We are winning. China is simply being stubborn because they think they can beat us.

They can't.

Mark
    So, what objective reality is this based on?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what objective reality is this based on?
    Do we need China to fold? No. We could actually go on without them. Can't get better than that, Norm.

Mark

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    China was taking advantage of us. Its time it stopped. I say again, they need us a hell of a lot more than we need them.

https://thehill.com/opinion/internat...n-china-policy

Mark
    Do we need China to fold? No. We could actually go on without them. Can't get better than that, Norm.

Mark
    It's time they stopped, but we don't need them to fold.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's time they stopped, but we don't need them to fold.
    I agree, but insisting on the first part, it's time they stopped, is meeting resistance, and making a number of US media people anxious to rain defeatist criticisms on our case. (OK, it's really just more digging at Trump, but he sits at the head of the negotiating table just now.)

In fact, the resistance is dramatic, and despite China's clear disadvantages in the contest, perhaps teaming up with Iran, North Korea and domestic opponents will pay off.

I came across this essay this morning:

Too confident? Trump faces a slew of foreign policy challenges all at once
    Andrew Malcolm.
    It looks like Americans are not the only people following the 2020 presidential contest closely, and thatís causing serious and growing challenges for President Donald Trump.

A self-proclaimed world-class dealmaker, a perhaps overconfident Trump is confronting not one, not two, but a half-dozen serious foreign policy problems simultaneously. None of these escalating challenges, save perhaps Venezuela, are new. And solving them has stumped all other recent presidents.

But the timing and scale of some are of Trumpís own choosing or making, depending on your view of him. This accumulation of coincidental crises could be intentional or the result of an unorganized administration reflecting its leaderís sometimes impetuous inclinations.y
    In fact, the possibility ó some would say likelihood ó of a Trump with chronically unfavorable poll numbers joining George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter as one-term presidents seems to be a factor in recent decisions by China and North Korea to back off of previous commitments. Iran also has been willing to stir up more trouble, and the Taliban has dragged out peace talks on Afghanistan, awaiting perhaps a more friendly successor administration.

Waiting out the maximum eight-year life of an American administration unfavorable to their interests is a default option for many foreign governments, especially in Asia where one-man or one-party rule is common. Japan has been successfully employing protectionist trade policies this way for decades.

Last week, as he has long threatened, Trump imposed large tariff increases on Chinese goods when, he said, officials reneged on commitments already agreed to, including protecting intellectual property rights.
    Emphasis added. It's almost as if John Kerry had a conference call with them, y'think?
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." óCNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

11. Likes scott liked this post