Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: So what do you folks think about the Dow Jones Index?

Last Online
    Today @ 5:31 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Things that tell the truth: old people, small children, and yoga pants."

Last Online
    Today @ 6:17 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's never too late to sell everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    [to Billy Jingo] Exactly what I thought of the thread title and first post. It was bait to gloat about a topic he apparently has little grasp of. He, like you, are still very affected and driven by the results of the 2016 election for President. We are enduring a 90+% negative Trump news extravaganza even when the markets are booming, employment at record levels, and I've personally experienced the absolutely palpable pervasive optimism about our economic direction everywhere we spent time on our recent road trip. Things are good.

Neither you nor Norm can admit that, I get it, but that frankly is what is pathetic. Bill Maher wanted a recession in order to make Trump less electable in 2020. That Sir, is pathetic.
    The Democrats have had an awkward time talking down the current economic boom, and of course they truly are hoping for genuine bad news going into 2020. Failing that, they can at least try to make sure Donald Trump gets no credit whatsoever for anything positive. That much should be easy enough, given the media's 90+% negative slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    December 2018 was the worst month for stocks in almost 90 years while 2019 was the best January in 30 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    So you only want to see the upside. That explains your Dow posting history.
    Friday was a good day in the markets, topping a good streak:

Dow jumps nearly 450 points, clinches 8th straight weekly gain
    ...The 30-stock Dow's eight-week winning streak is its longest since the one ending Nov. 3, 2017. The Nasdaq also posted its eighth consecutive weekly gain. The S&P 500, meanwhile, closed its seventh weekly gain in eight. The indexes rose at least 2.4 percent each this week.
    I confidently predict this streak will not go on forever. There will be some bad days and losing streaks.

But I hope I'll always have grounds for optimism re this country's future. If AOC's brand of Green Dream illiterates gets close to the helm of our economic ship of state, I'll have to reconsider. But that's not yet.
    Last edited by Newman; Saturday, February 16th, 2019 at 6:04 AM.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 9:20 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    That much should be easy enough, given the media's 90+% negative slant.
    Dang sure true. Sure get tired of reading about how Melania can't dress as a black woman with arms.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the incredible explosion of Obama Magic after the 2016 election, anything close to a further 20% gain would be amazing. And good.

But word that "the sky's the limit" is better taken as a sure sign of unexpected potholes underfoot. Sure things aren't, except as a sign of mass hysteria. We dipped into bear market territory, and we will again, or close, if there's more magic ahead. It's never too late to sell everything!

Make no mistake; I'm optimistic myself. I've argued genially with financial managers, and I moved the status of my own savings into more "aggressive" postures where I could.

In this morning's news I see indications that trade talks with China are progressing:

Exclusive: U.S., China sketch outlines of deal to end trade war - sources

The market rise lately has often been attributed to suspicions of good news ahead on the China front. The rule of thumb, of course, is to sell on good news, so this could be a very down day, with more headaches than at Nike headquarters just now.

More secure is the rule cited in your post: No one knows with certainty what is going to happen next.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    After the incredible explosion of Obama Magic after the 2016 election, anything close to a further 20% gain would be amazing. And good.

But word that "the sky's the limit" is better taken as a sure sign of unexpected potholes underfoot. Sure things aren't, except as a sign of mass hysteria. We dipped into bear market territory, and we will again, or close, if there's more magic ahead. It's never too late to sell everything!

Make no mistake; I'm optimistic myself. I've argued genially with financial managers, and I moved the status of my own savings into more "aggressive" postures where I could.

In this morning's news I see indications that trade talks with China are progressing:

Exclusive: U.S., China sketch outlines of deal to end trade war - sources

The market rise lately has often been attributed to suspicions of good news ahead on the China front. The rule of thumb, of course, is to sell on good news, so this could be a very down day, with more headaches than at Nike headquarters just now.

More secure is the rule cited in your post: No one knows with certainty what is going to happen next.
    I don't change any plans based on the market. I keep my asset allocation equities/bond to same ratio with adjustments twice a year. It's even easier now that we are retired and drawing down some of those assets. The re-allocation occurs by drawing down either equities or bonds to maintain the asset relocation.

Easy Peasy!!

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    I don't change any plans based on the market. I keep my asset allocation equities/bond to same ratio with adjustments twice a year. It's even easier now that we are retired and drawing down some of those assets. The re-allocation occurs by drawing down either equities or bonds to maintain the asset relocation.

Easy Peasy!!
    We are much the same. I've moved to a more aggressive mix in the little assets I have control over (IRAs mostly), but for our main and shared savings we've held steady. I generally have much steadier nerves in dips, and am more optimistic in the rebounds.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Will it break 20,000?