Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats running for President 2020

Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    On edit: My bad. That quote is from 2010. This tweet is misleading.

Last edited by Norm dePlume; Friday, April 26th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away
    -Pete Buttigieg

Last Online
    Today @ 4:55 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    It's amazing she has time to run for president while being the newly elected governor of Georgia.
    Small update this morning:

Stacey Abrams won't run for Senate
    ...While she has been mulling her political future, Abrams has built a national network that could benefit her if she runs for president. She is likely to take her time before deciding on a White House run: Abrams told POLITICO in an interview earlier this month she believed she could wait until fall — after the initial debates, and potentially after some candidates drop out of the race — to announce her run, saying there were advantages to waiting.

"My responsibility is to analyze it, decide if that's the job for me and how I can win," she told POLITICO. "I believe based on my understanding of the contours of how to run a presidential race, September is actually an appropriate date."

If Abrams chooses to run for president, she would be the fourth Democrat to pass on potentially competitive Senate race for a White House bid, joining former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock and former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper.

Her decision to pass on the Senate is a blow to Democrats, who considered her their top recruit in Georgia. Schumer met with Abrams at least three times and was in touch more often, and enlisted allies to help Abrams work through the contours of the job.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Abrams chooses to run for president, she would be the fourth Democrat to pass on potentially competitive Senate race for a White House bid, joining former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock and former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper.

They think Joaquin Castro might still make a run at Cornyn?
    The reason Trump succeeded isn’t that complicated after all. He didn’t win the nomination by tapping into some nascent political movement. He won by doing a fairly good impression of a right-wing media celebrity. Every issue, every conspiracy, every applause line has been ripped from their websites, radio shows, and television programs. It’s why he became America’s most prominent birther. It’s why he floated rumors that Ted Cruz’s dad killed JFK, and that Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster. It’s why he talks the way he does about Mexicans and Muslims and women and African Americans. It’s why he’s been able to get away with knowing little to nothing about policy or government or world affairs — because Trump, like any good talking head, only speaks in chyrons and clauses and some-people-are-sayings.

Trump’s greatest trick has been to realize that right-wing media stars have a built-in audience that Republican politicians don’t. To that audience, Jeb Bush talks like Washington talks. Ted Cruz talks like conservative ideologues talk. Marco Rubio talks like the last consultant he spoke with talks. But Trump talks like a true talk radio fan — longtime listener, first-time caller. He comes off like the winner of a reality TV show in which one lucky Fox viewer gets picked to run for president of the United States.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Small update this morning:

Stacey Abrams won't run for Senate
    "My responsibility is to analyze it, decide if that's the job for me and how I can win," she told POLITICO. "I believe based on my understanding of the contours of how to run a presidential race, September is actually an appropriate date."
    She's definitely a woman who can do it all.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    She should concede the GA governor's race before she tries another.

Why Stacey Abrams is still saying she won.
    ...I saw that recently you said something like you’d won your election but you just didn’t get to have the job.

Yes.
    etc.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

6. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:29 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    She should concede the GA governor's race before she tries another.

Why Stacey Abrams is still saying she won.
    etc.
    Oh? Wait, what? big ole fat black woman doesn't rule the roost?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think she has been seduced by the Democrats and their sympathetic media... I was about to say and her own ego, which is probably true, but unfair, since most of us are more vulnerable to flattery than we dare admit.

But the seduction is familiar. The most painful example in recent memory for me is Cindy Sheehan, whose son died fighting in our armed services, and who became a darling of the anti-GWBush forces for a while. Until they turned to some other shiny object, and unceremoniously dumped her in a tent at a book signing for which no one came.

I think Beto O'Rourke had his moment. John Edwards likewise. Jon Ossoff, too.

One thing they have in common is they can't see the end coming. It blindsides them and leaves them to cope with whatever tools their character provides.

Consider the denouement of Hillary Clinton, perhaps the biggest victim of seduction and abandonment of all.

9. Likes Michele, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jingo
    [#183] If Abrams chooses to run for president, she would be the fourth Democrat to pass on potentially competitive Senate race for a White House bid, joining former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock and former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper.

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat and red state winner, announces presidential run
    If Democrats care as much about electability in 2020 as they tell pollsters they do, then Steve Bullock has a case to make, even with 21 other candidates in the race.

The Montana governor declared his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination in a video Tuesday, highlighting the fact that he's the only candidate in the race to have won in a red state.

"We need to defeat Donald Trump in 2020 and defeat the corrupt system that lets campaign money drown out the people's voice, so we can finally make good on the promise of a fair shot for everyone," Bullock said in a statement.
    Core to Bullock's case is that he won Montana twice, including his reelection in 2016 on the same night as Donald Trump won it in a landslide.

He did it while sticking to core Democratic values on everything from abortion to climate change to guns. He also managed to pass progressive legislation through the Republican-controlled state legislature, including two Medicaid expansions and some of the strictest campaign finance laws in the country.

And he used executive authority to protect LBGT state employees from discrimination and to make his the first state in the country to enforce Net Neutrality after the FCC rolled back prior rules.
    ...his presidential ambitions have frustrated some Democrats who say he'd be far more valuable to the party by running for the Senate next year against Republican Steve Daines than by adding his name to the already long list of presidential contenders.

But Bullock has rebuffed those pleas and instead spent part of the past two years quietly laying the groundwork for White House run, traveling to early primary and caucus states and meeting with national reporters and others to argue Democrats need someone who can win in rural areas.

"Democrats need to be showing up. Large swaths of the country have been written off," he told NBC News on the sidelines of a National Governors Association meeting in Providence, Rhode Island, in 2017. "And that's no way to win elections. But more importantly, that's no way to govern."
    In the old days* such a person would be a "favorite son" candidate, whose main job was to negotiate on behalf of the state before getting behind a national candidate at the convention. But at the moment the national Democratic candidates are Biden and Sanders, neither of which looks all too strong going against the incumbent. So minor players like city mayors (three!) and also-rans are stepping up. And meanwhile, per BJ's quote, the Democratic Senate races are getting starved.

*The old days, back when #SexStrike might have mattered to a dashing libertine like myself, and fatal to the budding career of Kamala Harris.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat and red state winner, announces presidential run

In the old days* such a person would be a "favorite son" candidate, whose main job was to negotiate on behalf of the state before getting behind a national candidate at the convention. But at the moment the national Democratic candidates are Biden and Sanders, neither of which looks all too strong going against the incumbent. So minor players like city mayors (three!) and also-rans are stepping up. And meanwhile, per BJ's quote, the Democratic Senate races are getting starved.

*The old days, back when #SexStrike might have mattered to a dashing libertine like myself, and fatal to the budding career of Kamala Harris.
    Could be the dark horse. Most voters had no clue Bill Clinton was until he emerged as a mainstream Democrat in contrast to Jerry Brown. Paul Tsongas, IMO, suffered from foreign-sounding-surname syndrome, and voilà! Candidate Clinton walked away with all the brass rings.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    This morning it looks clearly like an effort to take Biden out early. I see more pedestrian scandals are being put out there, too:

Joe Biden's 2020 Ukrainian nightmare: A closed probe is revived

As The Donald might say, "Are you having a good time, Joe?"
    Here's an update on that "scandal."

Ukraine Prosecutor Made Up Biden Claim, Kiev Lawmaker Says

A Ukrainian lawmaker accused his country’s top prosecutor of manufacturing a “conspiracy” about U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, adding to a political intrigue playing out from Kiev to Washington.

The lawmaker, Serhiy Leshchenko, said he had been given parts of a letter written by the prosecutor with the intent of currying favor with the Trump administration. The letter was sent by the prosecutor through unofficial channels to President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, the lawmaker told journalists on Monday in Kiev as he distributed copies of two pages.

Giuliani told the New York Times last week that he planned to visit Kiev to urge President-elect Zelenskiy to pursue inquiries into matters of interest to Trump, including an investigation into Biden’s involvement with Burisma. “We’re not meddling in an election, we’re meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do,” he told the Times.

``There's nothing illegal about it,'' Giuliani told the paper. ``Somebody could say it's improper.''
    Take heed, foreign governments. The Trump campaign is open for business.

It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away
    -Pete Buttigieg