Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And you wonder why Republicans are considered anti-science

Last Online
    Friday, March 6th, 2020 @ 8:26 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    While that is indeed a valid point, it's no more reason to shift to metric for general society than is switching to hex or binary numbers due to it being superior for computing.
    The reason for phasing out imperial units is because we end up with both in general use and that creates a lot of waste. Having two sets of socket wrenches is wasteful, takes up extra space, wastes time when you have to figure out which one fits that bolt on your lawnmower, etc. CAD software has extra code for dealing with mixed units. Pneumatics companies make and stock duplicate product lines in cylinders and fittings and tubing. There are thousands of little ways that it's wasteful to live with both systems. The auto industry wised up and phased out SAE fasteners. The rest of our society should wise up, too.

And the reason the Federalist article is anti-science is because it's so proudly ignorant about why the metric system is preferred. The writer thinks it's political. He doesn't know any better, and he won't listen to those who do.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that men in particular would prefer metric.
    150mm or 15cm sounds so much better than 6 inches.
    We are so fucked.

3. Likes Tom Servo, Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's just no reason to convert for most Americans. Governments forced other people to convert in day-to-day life. But there's no real reason for us to do it. The U.S. has already adopted it, you have to learn it school (science anyway), virtually all packaging uses it.

Who cares if you buy 500 grams of meat or a pound?

If you need it, it's in your head. If you don't need it, you don't.

Hex would be better.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ask me what 9 times F is. It's fleventy-five."

Last Online
    Today @ 4:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    The reason for phasing out imperial units is because we end up with both in general use and that creates a lot of waste. Having two sets of socket wrenches is wasteful, takes up extra space, wastes time when you have to figure out which one fits that bolt on your lawnmower, etc. CAD software has extra code for dealing with mixed units. Pneumatics companies make and stock duplicate product lines in cylinders and fittings and tubing. There are thousands of little ways that it's wasteful to live with both systems. The auto industry wised up and phased out SAE fasteners. The rest of our society should wise up, too.
    Valid points.

And the reason the Federalist article is anti-science is because it's so proudly ignorant about why the metric system is preferred. The writer thinks it's political. He doesn't know any better, and he won't listen to those who do.
    I'm not sure I agree, but it's no big deal to me. There are plenty of "anti-science" folks who virtue signal on stuff and metric has its fan base for no other reason than because that's how it's done in Europe.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Today @ 4:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ask me what 9 times F is. It's fleventy-five."

I love that show.

We actually did something similar to this bored out of our minds on ship one day, but it was how many of us Tori Welles could handle in an hour.

"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm slightly disappointed that no one has yet used the Grandpa Simpson quote, “The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 50 rods to the hog's head and that's the way I likes it!”

By the way, I find it eternally amusing that there are only two other countries that are not using the metric system in any official capacity*: Myanmar (!) and Liberia.

* - Many other countries still use Imperial measurements unofficially in some aspects, like measuring people's height or gasoline.
    “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

9. Likes Norm dePlume liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:17 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    I love that show.

We actually did something similar to this bored out of our minds on ship one day, but it was how many of us Tori Welles could handle in an hour.

Scheduled to return sometime next year.
    Thomas Middleditch as Richard Hendricks has kept his face alive with commercials.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

11. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tucker Carlson's got a new cause.

Last Online
    Monday, March 23rd, 2020 @ 12:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a couple of "conservatives" should get to speak for everybody (not even sure who the article is referring to).

I prefer the system we have now because I see it as easier to understand. If it's not broken, don't fix it.