Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Days till the Drawing Permits are announced

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The main problem with their useful tutorial and test is that the ability to differentiate the sex of a wild animal at distance even through something like a spotting scope is way harder than any of these tests. Joyce and I both scored 100% on all the Bison tests and still put the wrong sex on the ground after 17 days in the field and turning down multiple opportunities based on the lack of complete certainty the Bison was a Bull.
    Did you get to keep it?
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Last Online
    Today @ 2:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Did you get to keep it?
    Self reported immediately to F&G and the State Troopers. Spent five hours taking it apart. Took the meat to the Trooper and it was donated to a needy family. Head to F&G. Pleaded guilty to a "minor offense" of illegal harvest with self reporting. $300 fine and no loss of equipment or hunting rights.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love hunt planning almost as much as hunting itself, well maybe not..... Talked with two men today. one hunted the same tag 4 years ago and gave some specific intel on his location. The other is a Goat hunting fool. He's hunted Goat on Kodiak in all open seasons in different times of the year. Gave me a great improvised gear tip to drag the boned meat out in a dry bag attached to a swiveling T-handle. No need to distress your joints carrying 100 pound pack.

The other option I've been looking into is taking the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry out of Homer (3-4 hours from me) to Kodiak with my '96 pick-up. It's only a couple hundred bucks higher than airfare and would be the perfect way to bring back meat without paying air fright backhaul.

I told a friend about the idea and he sent me this link. Same route.

If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sitka Black-tailed Deer will also be open during the period I will be hunting Goat. Three Bucks are allowed and you can hunt same day airborne. They are a bit smaller than Whitetail in the meat department and very good eating.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tidbit from todayís Mountain Goat presentation at the Fairbanks Sportsmanís Show. Goats were originally placed on Kodiak Island by US Fish and Wildlife before Alaska became a state. A bounty was paid for live goats transported to the Island. $400 per Nanny, $100 per Billy. Good money back then. Less than 30 were moved. Now thereís an estimated 3,500.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez!! We have the largest wildfire in the nation burning 10 miles from my Sheep hunting area and now the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry system) is on strike. That is how we were getting to Kodiak on August 17th for the Goat/Deer hunt. The last strike was in 1977 and lasted 20 days from what I read.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez!! We have the largest wildfire in the nation burning 10 miles from my Sheep hunting area and now the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry system) is on strike. That is how we were getting to Kodiak on August 17th for the Goat/Deer hunt. The last strike was in 1977 and lasted 20 days from what I read.
    Strike settled and ferry service to Kodiak should resume Sunday.

The Hess Creek fire near the Sheep area is now 189,369 Acres but has now been given a "smoldering" status and hopefully will no longer spread. Smoke is an issue though.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    15 foot seas and gale force winds last night. That was a hell of a ferry ride.
    If it pays, it stays

10. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    15 foot seas and gale force winds last night. That was a hell of a ferry ride.
    Yikes!
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.