Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's For Dinner (2/19/19 Edition)?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't see why the IP wouldn't work. You can brown the meat/onions/garlic in it and then use the slow cooker function. I wouldn't pressure cook chili myself although some do ().

Next time, make up the spices yourself and tell them to add the mix - you can correct it when you get home.

(I mean show them what you want so they learn but just make it up yourself a couple of times. People who cook can rarely out think people who don't cook. They do or fail to do things you would never imagine yourself.)
    The iP could have been used, but they don't know how it works. It's a bit tricky, in my opinion and I didn't have time to show them. Once you understand how it works, it's fine, but it's not intuitive for someone that never used a pressure cooker before.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post

That's wonderful that your sister takes a turn in your dinner schedule.
    She actually hates cooking. She's a really good cook, but just doesn't like it. She'll clean like it's her job though! But she's made it abundantly clear that she's not interested in cooking now, except when I put it on the to do list for her and the caregivers!
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

3. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    The iP could have been used, but they don't know how it works. It's a bit tricky, in my opinion and I didn't have time to show them. Once you understand how it works, it's fine, but it's not intuitive for someone that never used a pressure cooker before.
    Ah! I see the problem. By far the easiest pressure cooker I've ever used but I started as kid with the wobbly gauge type.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Ah! I see the problem. By far the easiest pressure cooker I've ever used but I started as kid with the wobbly gauge type.
    Yeah, but the buttons aren't intuitive. The first time I tried to use it I hit the time delay, thinking it was the timer. I had to watch a couple of you tube on it. A girl that has never cooked and a woman with some severe memory impairment were not going to be able to figure it out without me overseeing it. We'll get there though. I just need time with them both.
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Yeah, but the buttons aren't intuitive. The first time I tried to use it I hit the time delay, thinking it was the timer. I had to watch a couple of you tube on it. A girl that has never cooked and a woman with some severe memory impairment were not going to be able to figure it out without me overseeing it. We'll get there though. I just need time with them both.
    There is a learning curve with it. The "delay" is not intuitive at all. I seldom use it but I always have to refresh my memory with the manual when I do.

"Saute" and "slow cook" are fairly obvious.

It's worth noting that the 'slow cook' on an IP is bottom-only. That's fine for a lot of things but not fine for some. With soups/stews you need to stir it occasionally unlike most slow cooker recipes made in dedicated slow cookers.

I actually make my chili in a 'bottom-heat' slow cooker model we got as a wedding gift. I've replaced it once and I don't think they make the model anymore.

When I worked, I'd sweat the onions/garlic and brown the meat the night before. Mix all that up with the spices and put it in the fridge. Come home and add all the beans, tomatoes, broth, whatever and fire that puppy up! Took maybe 2 hours.

Now, I use it at a much lower temp for longer. Pretty much ends up the same.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."