Thread: Hah! The Zyliss Arrived!

Last Online
    Today @ 5:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Hah! The Zyliss Arrived!

My food processor died over the holidays.

I am naturally inclined to KitchenAid (no judging). I thought long and hard about my food processor use. While I do cook for crowds, I actually use the processor very seldom. Mostly for guac, fish/shrimp balls, onions. that kind of thing. Fillings for ravioli or pot stickers. Sometimes ground nuts. That's really it.

I decided to buy the Zyliss food chopper instead of a powered model.

You pull it to make it happen. A little for 'coarse' and more for "fine". It's extremely easy to use.

Holy cow! I made guac in it because I figured that would try out most of my issues (onions, tomatoes).

Worked like a dream.

The blades are super sharp but I'd seen Youtube videos on avoiding death so no problem for me. I really feel like this (small as it is) will do what I want.

Also bought a chain mail scrubber for the cast iron. Haven't tried it.

"Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 1:40 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure we have one of these in a drawer somewhere that has never been used. Some well-meaning family member probably gifted it to my mother under the misguided notion that she has participated in food prep once in the last 20 years.
    “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer! … Every breath I take without your permission increases my self-esteem!” - Rick Sanchez

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm pretty sure we have one of these in a drawer somewhere that has never been used. Some well-meaning family member probably gifted it to my mother under the misguided notion that she has participated in food prep once in the last 20 years.
    So far, pretty thrilled! It's absurdly easy to use and quiet. With my old processor, I actually wore ear plugs if anything would take 30 seconds or more.

Now, this isn't for everybody. It works like a charm but the capacity is small. I'm going to do my shrimp balls in it later (may not eat them personally due to transitory barfing). It's not going to make pizza dough or chunky cookies. But you can make some kind of fruit sorbet in it if that's your speed.

It demolishes onions and carrots. Very nice! Haven't tried it on celery yet. So easy to clean and fits nicely where the other food processor's blades lived.

I think it will nicely fit my niche but may not work for those who use a processor as a meat grinder or dough-maker (I have a stand mixer for that stuff).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made the shrimp balls effortlessly right down to the pasty nature of shrimp/fish balls.

5. Likes Djharkavy liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still glad I made the switch. It fine chops as well or better than I can with a sharp knife and I've been trained to do that. Very quiet, easy to clean, takes up minor space, not much to go wrong.

The capacity issue really hasn't been a issue. It's mostly just the aromatics that need fine chopping and they aren't a large percentage of the recipe.

Don't hesitate to go this way. Now, chopping ice or large amounts of fruit won't work with this as well as it would with a powered food processor so keep your needs in mind.

It's working great for me.