Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossfit Open

Last Online
    Today @ 2:22 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Crossfit Open

Let the fun and torture begin. The first workout for the Crossfit Games - Open has been announced. The Open consists of five workouts, one per week for five weeks, announced on Thursday. You have until Monday to log your results. Our Crossfit Gym runs the workouts on "Friday Night Lights" so we will run 19.1 tomorrow night. Should be interesting to see how we measure up worldwide in the over 60 scaled division.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I might be able to turn out a credible rowing time. I use a rower in the summer before switching to the Nordic Ski in the Fall.

Then again, I've never competed so I might completely fail. I'm not sure I understand the wall thing.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I might be able to turn out a credible rowing time. I use a rower in the summer before switching to the Nordic Ski in the Fall.

Then again, I've never competed so I might completely fail. I'm not sure I understand the wall thing.
    Wall ball shots require taking a weighted med ball, 20# for men 14# for women and then holding it while doing a full squat (hip crease lower than knees) standing it up with enough force to then throw the ball to a prescribed height, generally 10 feet for men 9 feet for women. It's very aerobically taxing while also trashing your shoulder muscles if you string too many reps together in a row. I can straight set 19 wall balls but if in the 15 time domain I make it to round 5 or 6 I may not be able to straight set them and you NEVER want to go to total lactic muscle failure. If you do you will stop, burn the clock while catching your breath and then only be able to string 2 or 3 together.

It's a deceptively sinister programming for this workout because to row for Calories and not distance requires a much more explosive pull on the rower. So now you are fatiguing the posterior muscle chain in your legs and they are also used in the wall balls.

Obsessing (my OCD not yours) about how to run the workout before beginning is a big part of the individual game plan. That said, Mike Tyson summed CrossFit up for me as far as preplanning is concerned.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I'm fairly explosive on the rower (because i don't like it). I can't throw anything worth shit. I'm ambidextrous so every throwing moment involves 5 minutes of decision.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I'm fairly explosive on the rower (because i don't like it). I can't throw anything worth shit. I'm ambidextrous so every throwing moment involves 5 minutes of decision.

I gave you a rather simple explanation of a wall ball shot. The other part is the timing. To be really efficient in the movement you have to catch the ball on it's descent off the wall allowing the weight of the ball to help drive you into the squat. It helps save your legs somewhat.

None of that matters if you don't have the motor tuned enough to distribute oxygen to the working muscles. Both the movements in the couplet, rowing & wall balls, are very aerobically taxing. The key is finding a pace right below your anaerobic threshold that you can maintain for the whole 15 minutes.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    I gave you a rather simple explanation of a wall ball shot. The other part is the timing. To be really efficient in the movement you have to catch the ball on it's descent off the wall allowing the weight of the ball to help drive you into the squat. It helps save your legs somewhat.

None of that matters if you don't have the motor tuned enough to distribute oxygen to the working muscles. Both the movements in the couplet, rowing & wall balls, are very aerobically taxing. The key is finding a pace right below your anaerobic threshold that you can maintain for the whole 15 minutes.
    I XC so aerobically I'm pretty decent. Complex routines are more difficult. I can "see" them well enough, just can't execute them without huge practice.

Oddly, I can still twirl/fling a baton like nobody's business. Muscle memory. I spent probably 2,000 hours practicing that.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I XC so aerobically I'm pretty decent. Complex routines are more difficult. I can "see" them well enough, just can't execute them without huge practice.

Oddly, I can still twirl/fling a baton like nobody's business. Muscle memory. I spent probably 2,000 hours practicing that.
    Your OCD, like mine, will appreciate this.

Rowing analysis

I just read it and it makes perfect sense. I will likely adopt this plan and back off slightly at 17 cals in order to transition to the wall balls with the engine slightly slower.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stuck to the plan. Ended up with 221 reps. I'm beat and WILL NOT rerun this workout.

19.1 is in the books. Next Friday 19.2

9. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine meets 19.1

Ginger, since you said you didn't understand the idea of wall balls here's a video of one of the studs rerunning 19.1. He is so relaxed appearing while doing it you can't appreciate how much this hurts in the later rounds. He got to the number of reps I finished in 15 minutes at about 8:50. His power stroke on that erg (rower) is insane. The few times you could read the display he was pulling consistently over 1,300 cals/hr. I can pull 1,200 for about 30 seconds.

19.2 will be announced tomorrow at 4PM Alaska time.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could watch him for hours...in fact I think I did.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.