Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Every Hipster in Portland

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bro, where'd you get that hat?

    Thrift store.

    Really?

    Well, like the vintage thrift store. Yeah, it was $72.

    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

  2. Likes Adam, scott liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    14,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Bro, where'd you get that hat?

    Thrift store.

    Really?

    Well, like the vintage thrift store. Yeah, it was $72.

    This is a real problem, no kidding. HRH began thrifting about the time she started wanting to go to school dances. She discovered she could get beautiful dresses that had often been worn only once, if that, for actual pennies on the dollar of original price. More importantly, for her, they didn't look exactly like the dresses every other girl was wearing. Because of her RA, she paired unusual dresses with glitter sneakers, knee-high formal black sneakers, vinyl modern-art sneakers.... She was always the only girl still wearing shoes when the dance was over.

    Here in California, she has a terrible time finding anything in a thrift store. People who can afford to shop at Nordstrom or have their clothes custom-made line up before the thrift store opens in the morning to be first in the cull the new stock!
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Posts
    19,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't find all that much at thrift stores but I'm a hopeless consignment shopper. You can find Dior or whatever at a fraction of the price.

    For any outdoor stuff, you can't beat Army/Navy stores or Duluth. (Not specific skiing/camping stuff.)

    I don't know what Duluth does with their thermies and jeans but whatever it is, it's right.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    This is a real problem, no kidding. HRH began thrifting about the time she started wanting to go to school dances. She discovered she could get beautiful dresses that had often been worn only once, if that, for actual pennies on the dollar of original price. More importantly, for her, they didn't look exactly like the dresses every other girl was wearing. Because of her RA, she paired unusual dresses with glitter sneakers, knee-high formal black sneakers, vinyl modern-art sneakers.... She was always the only girl still wearing shoes when the dance was over.

    Here in California, she has a terrible time finding anything in a thrift store. People who can afford to shop at Nordstrom or have their clothes custom-made line up before the thrift store opens in the morning to be first in the cull the new stock!
    We have some thrift stores here and they're well shopped. But I think they charge way too much (kind of like a $72 stocking cap). I took some clothes in once to sell on consignment but whatever the % of the sale was that I would have received, it wasn't much. So instead, I give them away now.

    In the area where my daughter lives there is a wonderful second-hand store...mostly because it's in a college town. She found a pair of Miss Me Jeans for $15, wrapped them up for our oldest granddaughter and gave them to her for her birthday. Now, her niece loves MMJ and has paid the ridiculous full-price for them but that $15 pair was her favorite for quite a few years.

    I would imagine that little-bitty-pretty-one makes any outfit look good.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

  6. Thanks Celeste Chalfonte thanked for this post
  7. #15
    Join Date
    Wednesday, June 17th, 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 8:47 AM
    Posts
    10,878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Bro, where'd you get that hat?

    Thrift store.

    Really?

    Well, like the vintage thrift store. Yeah, it was $72.

    Dude needs to unbutton that top button.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Bro, where'd you get that hat?

    Thrift store.

    Really?

    Well, like the vintage thrift store. Yeah, it was $72.

    That's the part that really cracked me up.

    Sadly, I think that Nashville is becoming Portland. I think that instead of a guy riding a unicycle playing bagpipes in a Darth Vader mask, we should have someone on one of those one-wheeled skateboards playing a banjo and a Jew's harp while wearing a costume from Tron.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    14,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    The irony in this is how offended “real Americans” get when they are ridiculed.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

    ~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    14,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t say “fly over country.”
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

    ~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That's the part that really cracked me up.

    Sadly, I think that Nashville is becoming Portland. I think that instead of a guy riding a unicycle playing bagpipes in a Darth Vader mask, we should have someone on one of those one-wheeled skateboards playing a banjo and a Jew's harp while wearing a costume from Tron.
    We lived in Portland during the late '70s...it was such a fun big city. Saturday Market and the downtown area were a part of our weekends. We were there not quite ten years so I have no idea when the misfits from the beautiful people came in. Just happy that we missed them.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •