Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ: Massacre at mosques - PM confirms 40 people dead in 'terrorist attack'

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy NZ: Massacre at mosques - PM confirms 40 people dead in 'terrorist attack'

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/in...-christchurch/Massacre at mosques - PM confirms 40 people dead in 'terrorist attack'

NZ Herald | Friday, 15 March 2019, 2:09p.m.

KEY POINTS:
    • Dozens feared dead as at least two gunmen open fire at two central Christchurch mosques
    • Four people arrested, including one woman
    • One of the gunmen livestreamed shooting at Al Noor Mosque in chilling 17-min video
    • PM Jacinda Ardern calls this 'one of NZ's darkest days'

Gunmen have opened fire at mosques in Christchurch, with reports of up to 30 people killed. Four people are in custody - three men and one woman.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she's been fully briefed on the unprecedented events in Christchurch.

She confirmed that 40 people confirmed dead. Ardern called it a terrorist attack.

She said 10 people were killed at Linwood and 30 at the other mosque.

Another 20 people were injured.

She said it was obvious the attacks had been planned for some time.

The National Security Threat Level had been lifted from low to high.

The Defence Force was transporting more police to Christchurch.

Air NZ had cancelled turboprop services because of the lack of security screening.

Ardern had a message from New Zealand to those affected.

The Police Commissioner Mike Bush said "there have been some absolute acts of bravery" in the arrests of the four attackers.

A number of IEDs that were attached to vehicles in Christchurch have been defused by the Defence Force.

Bush said there were multiple casualties - a "significant" amount.

"This is absolutely tragic. So many people are affected.

"We don't have the identities of those who have died yet because those places are in lockdown."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right wing extremists, with a manifesto, who filed and live streamed much of the carnage.

Hard to believe it happened in New Zealand, but this is the world we live in today.
    “When rich people hear that we want everyone to get equal access to healthcare, they naturally assume that means they’ll have to suffer the way we do, because they know that their extreme wealth depends fundamentally on our poverty.” ~ three08

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading from Jerusalem Post on FB and found people sort of condoning it. I'm thinking of unsubscribing. This is just horrifying.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Right wing extremists, with a manifesto, who [filmed] and live streamed much of the carnage.

Hard to believe it happened in New Zealand, but this is the world we live in today.
    Dismal news. This morning the death toll was 49.

The video is unimaginable. One thing that shocked me was that it went on for something like 16 or 17 minutes, through the time the killer simply left the mosque and drove away, killing more people as he did so. He had had time to stroll through the carnage and finish off wounded victims.

Where was law enforcement? Or anyone armed to resist?
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is sickening. He seems an odd and lethal mix of right and left wing extremist.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I was reading from Jerusalem Post on FB and found people sort of condoning it. I'm thinking of unsubscribing. This is just horrifying.
    A lot were justifying it as being the consequence of the same kind of attacks by Islamic extremists that have been targeted at others and some were just plain racist. But if you read most msm outlets here in the US, you'll find the same disgusting comments on subjects...especially if you read them on FB or Twitter.

From the Reuters article, a politician from Malaysia called the attack a "black tragedy facing humanity and universal peace." Sadly, that's an apt description of the horror.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Agree. Who would have thought of mosques in New Zealand...………..

Last Online
    Today @ 1:45 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    This is sickening. He seems an odd and lethal mix of right and left wing extremist.
    How is he left wing?

Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.
    -George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    How is he left wing?
    I think he is a White Genocide Project type. Like this stuff.
    The reason Trump succeeded isn’t that complicated after all. He didn’t win the nomination by tapping into some nascent political movement. He won by doing a fairly good impression of a right-wing media celebrity. Every issue, every conspiracy, every applause line has been ripped from their websites, radio shows, and television programs. It’s why he became America’s most prominent birther. It’s why he floated rumors that Ted Cruz’s dad killed JFK, and that Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster. It’s why he talks the way he does about Mexicans and Muslims and women and African Americans. It’s why he’s been able to get away with knowing little to nothing about policy or government or world affairs — because Trump, like any good talking head, only speaks in chyrons and clauses and some-people-are-sayings.

Trump’s greatest trick has been to realize that right-wing media stars have a built-in audience that Republican politicians don’t. To that audience, Jeb Bush talks like Washington talks. Ted Cruz talks like conservative ideologues talk. Marco Rubio talks like the last consultant he spoke with talks. But Trump talks like a true talk radio fan — longtime listener, first-time caller. He comes off like the winner of a reality TV show in which one lucky Fox viewer gets picked to run for president of the United States.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    How is he left wing?
    Something about enviromentalism. There was something posted earlier, but I can't now find it, where he had posted some time of circle with each "pie" of the circle filled in with various beliefs, including the "ethnic autonomy" quote. I can't find it now. I just thought some of the things on there were somewhat incongruent with "right wing" extremist characteristics.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.