Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Paddy's Day

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

St Paddy's Day

Nothing much except dessert changes on our menu from year to year with the exception of braised pork belly which we added recently.

I find this hard to believe but I am not making a dessert this year because I ordered cookies from my favorite cookie shop in Olympia, WA. Here's what they'll look like:

12744705_958820414200341_3310186890914788298_n.jpg

I say "what they'll look like" because they haven't arrived yet. Since I am a plan-ahead-with-two-backups type of person, the waiting is killing me!

But...aren't those cookies beautiful?
    Last edited by Michele; Friday, March 15th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Nothing much except dessert changes on our menu from year to year with the exception of braised pork belly which we added recently.

I find this hard to believe but I am not making a dessert this year because I ordered cookies from my favorite cookie shop in Olympia, WA. Here's what they'll look like:

12744705_958820414200341_3310186890914788298_n.jpg

I say "what they'll look like" because they haven't arrived yet. Since I am a plan-ahead-with-two-backups type of person, the waiting is killing me!

But...aren't those cookies beautiful?
    Gorgeous, although, having tried sweets you made, I can't imagine anything from a store measuring up.

I only cook for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas breakfast. All other holidays are about dressing up or decorating or chocolate or just visiting.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 6:25 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll have the same thing we always have: corned beef brisket, mashed potatoes, cabbage, and soda bread. I seldom make a dessert for it.

It's just a holiday that's not really on our radar. I refused to wear green years ago despite it being one of my favorite colors. Just got so tired of the red hair/green comments. Getting drunk doesn't seem all that interesting and driving after mid-afternoon can be dangerous.

Love Irish music, though.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We'll have the same thing we always have: corned beef brisket, mashed potatoes, cabbage, and soda bread. I seldom make a dessert for it.

It's just a holiday that's not really on our radar. I refused to wear green years ago despite it being one of my favorite colors. Just got so tired of the red hair/green comments. Getting drunk doesn't seem all that interesting and driving after mid-afternoon can be dangerous.

Love Irish music, though.
    We never made any special food for it, although as an adult I came to love the traditional corned beef (as long as it's very lean - hate fatty meat) and cabbage. I wear green but stay off the road, as I do on New Year's Eve, to avoid the amateurs. Don't enjoy getting drunk or being around drunks, so wearing green to work is pretty much the extent of my participation. Oh, and we put a green hat on the dog statue by the front door.

When HRH was in middle school, we belonged to a group that performed Irish music at senior residences and nursing homes on holidays. That was fun. The leader had traveled extensively in Ireland, so we didn't just do Irish-American stuff. I learned to play the bodhran with them.
    Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Saturday, March 16th, 2019 at 7:48 PM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

5. Likes Michele, phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    We never made any special food for it, although as an adult I came to love the traditional corned beef (as long as it's very lean - hate fatty meat) and cabbage. I wear green but stay off the road, as I do on New Year's Eve, to avoid the amateurs. Don't enjoy getting drunk or being around drunks, so wearing green to work is pretty much the extent of my participation. Oh, and we put a green hat on the dog statue by the front door.

When HRH was in middle school, we belonged to a group that performed Irish music at senior residences and nursing homes on holidays. That was fun. The leader had traveled extensively in Ireland, so we didn't just do Irish-American stuff. I learned to play the bodhran with them.
    I enjoy watching Irish dance and I play Celtic harp (badly). That's about it.

I do freeze extras corned beef briskets this time of year because I like it all the time - especially for breakfast. Tasty either hot or cold.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Fluffy, the doorstep dog, in her St Paddy's Day finery:

Fluffy St Paddy 2019.jpg

8. Likes Michele, Tom Servo, phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I enjoy watching Irish dance and I play Celtic harp (badly). That's about it.

I do freeze extras corned beef briskets this time of year because I like it all the time - especially for breakfast. Tasty either hot or cold.
    Brisket, yum. It's gotten very expensive over the last 20 years.

10. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I had a dream about them a few nights ago.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Brisket, yum. It's gotten very expensive over the last 20 years.
    It has. That's why stocking up during these sales makes sense. Ours was delicious!

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a quick Irish brown bread. It was really very tasty. I'm looking forward to having some toasted with butter and jam tonight.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.