Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F.B.I. Sent Investigator Posing as Assistant to Meet With Trump Aide in 2016

Last Online
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

F.B.I. Sent Investigator Posing as Assistant to Meet With Trump Aide in 2016

I know, it's the NYT. But the spin is up front, at least.

By Adam Goldman, Michael S. Schmidt and Mark Mazzetti

The conversation at a London bar in September 2016 took a strange turn when the woman sitting across from George Papadopoulos, a Trump campaign adviser, asked a direct question: Was the Trump campaign working with Russia?

The woman had set up the meeting to discuss foreign policy issues. But she was actually a government investigator posing as a research assistant, according to people familiar with the operation. The F.B.I. sent her to London as part of the counterintelligence inquiry opened that summer to better understand the Trump campaign’s links to Russia.

The American government’s affiliation with the woman, who said her name was Azra Turk, is one previously unreported detail of an operation that has become a political flash point in the face of accusations by President Trump and his allies that American law enforcement and intelligence officials spied on his campaign to undermine his electoral chances. Last year, he called it Spygate.

The decision to use Ms. Turk in the operation aimed at a presidential campaign official shows the level of alarm inside the F.B.I. during a frantic period when the bureau was trying to determine the scope of Russia’s attempts to disrupt the 2016 election, but could also give ammunition to Mr. Trump and his allies for their spying claims....
    Y'think?

Check a more reliable source:

BRUTAL: TRUMP CAMPAIGN Responds to NY Times Report FINALLY Admitting Obama Admin Spied on Him and His Campaign
    ...This afternoon the Trump Campaign released a statement on Obama spying on his campaign.

When I clicked on the NYT piece, a cute pop-up let me know that know that they've dropped their paywall May 3 - 5: "We've dropped our paywall so you can see the value of independent journalism."

Nice to know that despite not carrying comics, they do have a sense of humor.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 9:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when these agencies were held in high regard and had total public trust.

That was like two years ago. I wouldn't today speak with any Fed agent without a lawyer and I previously was deposed, spoke as an "expert" in court, and happily shared data with the government.

I would not show them my dogs' paperwork today now without a subpoena and a warrant.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined distrusting my government on this level. The degree of sadness this makes me feel is huge.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I remember when these agencies were held in high regard and had total public trust.

That was like two years ago. I wouldn't today speak with any Fed agent without a lawyer and I previously was deposed, spoke as an "expert" in court, and happily shared data with the government.

I would not show them my dogs' paperwork today now without a subpoena and a warrant.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined distrusting my government on this level. The degree of sadness this makes me feel is huge.
    Your former trust was born of naiveté. The FBI has not in my lifetime been worthy of trust, and the Justice Department has been politicized for at least 50 years. I don't condone it, but let's not pretend it's new.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

4. Likes Michele, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are probably correct. I just didn't know it.

I still feel awful about it.

It started to fall apart for me with a few things which I thought were isolated incidents/particular people. Anybody who has employed a bunch of people knows that stuff happens, individuals can do unusual things, etc. I get that. That's normal.

This seems systemic, not idiosyncratic.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You are probably correct. I just didn't know it.

I still feel awful about it.

It started to fall apart for me with a few things which I thought were isolated incidents/particular people. Anybody who has employed a bunch of people knows that stuff happens, individuals can do unusual things, etc. I get that. That's normal.

This seems systemic, not idiosyncratic.
    Beware of efforts to turn experience ("corruption is not new") into defeatism ("move along folks, nothing to see here"). One of the things to come soon enough will be a drenching monsoon of exposes and recycled old scandals from J Edgar days through FDR and JFK, all in an effort to trivialize current corruption by "context."

Schumer gave Trump some advice just before his inauguration:

Schumer warns Trump: Intel officials 'have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you'
    Jan. 3, 2107.
    The new leader of Democrats in the Senate says Donald Trump is being "really dumb" for picking a fight with intelligence officials, suggesting they have ways to strike back, after the president-elect speculated Tuesday that his "so-called" briefing about Russian cyberattacks had been delayed in order to build a case.

"Let me tell you: You take on the intelligence community — they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you," said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer Tuesday evening on MSNBC after host Rachel Maddow informed him that intelligence sources told NBC news that the briefing had not been delayed.
    I think Schumer should be thoroughly deposed on the subject.

One other comment.

Anybody who has employed a bunch of people knows that stuff happens, individuals can do unusual things, etc. I get that. That's normal.
    An underling gets fired, the problem gets fixed. When the corruption infects the top, the problem is enormously more difficult, because support networks form, and people at all levels become invested in the corruption whether participating or condoning.

What has happened here clearly is the latter.

For an example of the former (underling gets fired) I'd look more to the Pakistani tech hustlers who had access to the computers of many House Democrats. What should not have happened is some sort of inverted loyalty, from Debbie Wasserman Schultz, for example. Why is the question, and the answer may be as simple as a reflexive resistance to admitting fault in new hires, especially people of color.

But the Pakistani techs don't poison the Democratic Party. The network of corruption among its leaders does.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they are trying to scare investigators away from looking into any Russian interference in 2020.
    People who treat other people as less than human must not be surprised when the bread they have cast on the waters comes floating back to them, poisoned.

~ James Baldwin

Last Online
    Today @ 8:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Looks like they are trying to scare investigators away from looking into any Russian interference in 2020.
    And if Hillary had won, no one would have bothered to care that it happened in 2016.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

9. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Future cannot be predicted with any kind of certainty.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    And if Hillary had won, no one would have bothered to care that it happened in 2016.

Mark
    We have a winner
    If it pays, it stays

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Beware of efforts to turn experience ("corruption is not new") into defeatism ("move along folks, nothing to see here"). One of the things to come soon enough will be a drenching monsoon of exposes and recycled old scandals from J Edgar days through FDR and JFK, all in an effort to trivialize current corruption by "context."
    Bollocks. You're projecting. I never said "nothing to see here," and I expressly did not trivialize corruption, current or otherwise.

I simply get tired of people acting all shocked that corruption exists, and pretending that the current crop of political critters invented it or took it to heights previously unseen in our simon-pure Republic. That is a huge, steaming pile of equine waste product. You can shovel it to the DNC side of the barn, but your side's still ass-deep in it as well. There's no sense cleaning out only one side of the stable, because the livestock will just spread it all around again.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

14. Thanks gary m thanked for this post
    Likes gary m liked this post