Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shootings. Who should we pay attention to?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Mass shootings. Who should we pay attention to?

This isn't about gun control. That's for another day. This is about who the focus should be on when it happens.

The first major school shooting I remember was in Jonesboro, AR. This was in the 90s and it took off like wild fire. It seems like over the years, whenever there is a shooting, here comes another one a few days later. I think people are like "That's a great idea. I'm going down. Let's take as many as I can with me." I could be wrong. People will zoom in on the shooter to figure out motives and so forth.

And then, I think it was the Virginia Tech Shooting, a lot of focus went on a professor who put himself on a weapon and died. He saved lives.

And now this week, there was one at UNC Charlotte. The locals are continuously zooming in on a guy who sacrificed himself to save lives.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/un...ell/index.html

I think what we need to start doing is focusing on the heroes. It could be martyrs, cops, firemen, school resources officers, etc. Focus in on them. I honestly think the glamorizing of the shooters is encouraging more.

Just thoughts.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    This isn't about gun control. That's for another day. This is about who the focus should be on when it happens.

The first major school shooting I remember was in Jonesboro, AR. This was in the 90s and it took off like wild fire. It seems like over the years, whenever there is a shooting, here comes another one a few days later. I think people are like "That's a great idea. I'm going down. Let's take as many as I can with me." I could be wrong. People will zoom in on the shooter to figure out motives and so forth.

And then, I think it was the Virginia Tech Shooting, a lot of focus went on a professor who put himself on a weapon and died. He saved lives.

And now this week, there was one at UNC Charlotte. The locals are continuously zooming in on a guy who sacrificed himself to save lives.

I think what we need to start doing is focusing on the heroes. It could be martyrs, cops, firemen, school resources officers, etc. Focus in on them. I honestly think the glamorizing of the shooters is encouraging more.

Just thoughts.
    In Colorado, we've had a very long discussion about this. We're still having it.

You might be right but the appetite for information about shooters AND victims is very large. I don't know how to address that.

We had a situation a couple weeks ago where virtually every school was closed because a disturbed anorexic girl flew here from Florida, bought a shotty, and killed herself around Echo Lake (nowhere near Columbine or any school). She had apparently drawn a favorable picture of her imagined idea of the Columbine killers.

This mesmerized the entire State for a week. Had she stayed in Florida, OD'd on heroin, and still drawn the picture, only her family would have been involved.

Realistically, she had nothing to do with Columbine, she didn't threaten to shoot up a school here (or anywhere), she didn't threaten anyone, she provided no big manifesto, her social media was mostly what you'd expect from an introverted high achieving student in her class.

Whatever she thought of the Columbine killers, she didn't emulate them. She essentially wanted to kill herself but only after having seen snow (we have a lot). People do exactly this in other places: kill yourself after seeing the Grand Canyon, Mt. Fuji, Paris, the Amazon, etc.

I don't know what to do about this stuff. Heroes get almost no traction for more than a day or so. Killers and victims get quite a bit. Producers and editors frame news and that's what they seem to favor.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    YOu need to show us a picture of the shooter and his name. That way we can decide if he's a nut, a terrorist, or a victim in his own right.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    Today @ 7:44 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thoughts.
    A good point. Wonderful that the UNC Charlotte hero was given such an honorable funeral procession.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    In Colorado, we've had a very long discussion about this. We're still having it.

You might be right but the appetite for information about shooters AND victims is very large. I don't know how to address that.

We had a situation a couple weeks ago where virtually every school was closed because a disturbed anorexic girl flew here from Florida, bought a shotty, and killed herself around Echo Lake (nowhere near Columbine or any school). She had apparently drawn a favorable picture of her imagined idea of the Columbine killers.

This mesmerized the entire State for a week. Had she stayed in Florida, OD'd on heroin, and still drawn the picture, only her family would have been involved.

Realistically, she had nothing to do with Columbine, she didn't threaten to shoot up a school here (or anywhere), she didn't threaten anyone, she provided no big manifesto, her social media was mostly what you'd expect from an introverted high achieving student in her class.

Whatever she thought of the Columbine killers, she didn't emulate them. She essentially wanted to kill herself but only after having seen snow (we have a lot). People do exactly this in other places: kill yourself after seeing the Grand Canyon, Mt. Fuji, Paris, the Amazon, etc.

I don't know what to do about this stuff. Heroes get almost no traction for more than a day or so. Killers and victims get quite a bit. Producers and editors frame news and that's what they seem to favor.
    I have to admit that I always want to know why these people do it and I am sometimes mind boggled when I hear the reasons.

Bullied (but they shot those who didn't bully them).

Not getting any from women.

Having to do with depression and autism.

One person wanted to start a race war.

At the end of the day, I still notice something. Copy cats.

This is going to sound terrible to day, but I even noticed it on two notable suicides lately. One was a Parkland High School student over a year after the shooting because she couldn't get over it. A few days later, a Sandy Hook father committed suicide. It's like contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    A good point. Wonderful that the UNC Charlotte hero was given such an honorable funeral procession.
    I thought so too although I didn't expect him to get military honors when he hadn't completely joined yet. I think maybe there should be like a special ceremony for civilians who made the ultimate sacrifice. I can think of three off the top of my head and they're all in these damn shootings.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit that I always want to know why these people do it and I am sometimes mind boggled when I hear the reasons.

Bullied (but they shot those who didn't bully them).

Not getting any from women.

Having to do with depression and autism.

One person wanted to start a race war.

At the end of the day, I still notice something. Copy cats.

This is going to sound terrible to day, but I even noticed it on two notable suicides lately. One was a Parkland High School student over a year after the shooting because she couldn't get over it. A few days later, a Sandy Hook father committed suicide. It's like contagious.

I thought so too although I didn't expect him to get military honors when he hadn't completely joined yet. I think maybe there should be like a special ceremony for civilians who made the ultimate sacrifice. I can think of three off the top of my head and they're all in these damn shootings.
    I agree with not giving the murders a lot of media attention and focus instead on the victims. But I think the suicides are not copycat. They are just hurt and grieving people who couldn't take the pain anymore.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all want to know what the shooter looks/sounds like because we're sick of the "white men" thing. Apparently , black people expect us to be uniformly good citizens while never observing that half of the murders in this country are committed by melanated people.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. Something special to honor them.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    never observing that half of the murders in this country are committed by melanated people.
    You can't talk about that. They're "oppressed".

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think we all want to know what the shooter looks/sounds like because we're sick of the "white men" thing. Apparently , black people expect us to be uniformly good citizens while never observing that half of the murders in this country are committed by melanated people.

When white people kill, they do mass shootings.

As Mencia once put it "You white people need to learn how to just kill a few people and let it go."