Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapper indicted for funneling millions in foreign money to Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign

Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Rapper indicted for funneling millions in foreign money to Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign

From BizPac Review:
    On Friday, Pras Michel, a rapper for the group ‘The Fugees,’ was indicted by the U.S. government for funneling millions of dollars of foreign money to Barack Obama’s 2012 presidential campaign.

In a DOJ statement, the feds announced Michel and a Malaysian financier were charged with four counts “for conspiring to make and conceal foreign and conduit campaign contributions.”

Michel, 46, and Low Taek Jho, 37, aka”Jho Low,” were charged with conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government and for making foreign and conduit campaign contributions. Michel also was charged with one count of a scheme to conceal material facts and two counts of making a false entry in a record in connection with the conspiracy.
    The report quotes a DoJ statement:
    According to the indictment, between June 2012 and November 2012, Low directed the transfer of approximately $21,600,000 from foreign entities and accounts to Michel for the purpose of funneling significant sums of money into the United States presidential election as purportedly legitimate contributions, all while concealing the true source of the money. To facilitate the excessive contributions and conceal their true source, Michel paid approximately $865,000 of the money received from Low to about 20 straw donors, or conduits, so that the straw donors could make donations in their names to a presidential joint fundraising committee. In addition, Michel personally directed more than $1 million of the money received from Low to an independent expenditure committee also involved in the presidential election in 2012.

The indictment also alleges that by funneling campaign contributions through straw donors, Michel caused a presidential joint fundraising committee to submit false reports to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), including a false amended report in June 2013. The committee’s reports were false because they identified the straw donors, rather than Low or Michel, as the true source of the contributions. In addition, the indictment alleges that by contributing more than $1 million of the money he received from Low to an independent expenditure committee, Michel also caused that committee to submit false reports to the FEC, insofar as those reports identified Michel as the source of the contributions when, in fact, it was Low. The indictment further alleges that in June 2015, Michel submitted a false declaration to the FEC in which he claimed that he had no reason to conceal the true source of his contributions to the independent expenditure committee in 2012, even though Michel knew that the true source of that money was Low and that Michel had funneled the foreign money into the election.
    In a statement made to Pitchfork, Pras’ attorney Barry J. Pollack said, “Mr. Michel is extremely disappointed that so many years after the fact the government would bring charges related to 2012 campaign contributions....
    So am I. 2012 would have been better.*

I agree with this op-ed in The Hill in October 2012:
    In September, the Obama campaign got 1.8 million donations from small contributors who did not break the $200 threshold requiring that their information be reported to the Federal Election Commission. They gave the campaign 98 percent of the $181 million it raised that month, a figure vastly higher than its take in any previous month.

Is the Obama campaign financing itself through foreign money funneled in through a website owned by a private businessman, living in China, that uses the name Obama.com?

In 1997, we learned — too late — that the Clinton campaign had relied heavily on thinly disguised Chinese government money for much of its early blitz of issue ads in the 1996 election. The early intimations of funding fraud in the campaign (Al Gore’s exploits with the Buddhist monks) shaved off half of Clinton’s margin, cutting his lead from 14 to 7 points in the weeks before the election. But the full dimensions of the scandal were not apparent until then-Sen. Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.) held hearings the following year revealing the depth of the campaign’s reliance on foreign money.

Now, in the last month of the 2012 race, Newsweek magazine has raised serious questions about Obama’s fundraising and its possible reliance on foreign donors and outright fraud to generate its funding.

Newsweek raises questions, in particular, about Robert W. Roche, the co-founder and chairman of the board of Acorn International Inc., a media and branding direct-sales company based in Shanghai. He also owns the Obama.com website, which appears on the Internet throughout the world. Roche’s site links to Barackobama.com, the official campaign site, where it invites people to donate to the campaign. Obama.com gets 2,000 visits a day, two-thirds of which are from foreigners. Is it a giant money-laundering operation to feed foreign money into the Obama campaign?

Despite the disclaimer on the campaign site stating that foreign nationals cannot donate to Obama, the suspicion remains that Roche’s vigilance in assuring that Obama.com is on the Internet throughout the world has led to a significant influx of foreign cash into the coffers of the president’s reelection effort.

It will be too late to wait until 2013 to find out.
    How about 2019?
    These questions arise because the Obama campaign, unlike Romney’s or, for that matter, Hillary Clinton’s in 2008, refuses to ask donors for their CVV number (the number on your credit card that one is often asked for after giving one’s name and expiration date). The CVV is designed to assure that the donor is actually physically holding the card.

The Obama campaign is no stranger to fraudulent donations funneled in through phony names. In 2008, The Washington Post reported that Mary Biskup was reported to have donated more than $170,000 to the Obama campaign in small donations. But Biskup says she never gave any money to the campaign. Some other donor must have given the money in her name.

Given these past problems and the Obama campaign’s sudden influx of small donors, Newsweek wonders why the campaign does not require CVV numbers to minimize the chances of fraud.

The magazine noted that the campaign’s past scandals “make it all the more surprising that the Obama campaign does not use … the card verification value [system].” The magazine added that “the Romney campaign, by contrast, does use the CVV — as has almost every other candidate who has run for president in recent years.”
    Trouble dogged Obama's first campaign, too:

Obama Campaign Fined Big for Hiding Donors, Keeping Illegal Donations

So, about the current indictment, a few thoughts:
    • Is the conduit, a rapper, a surprise? It surprised me. I've watched too much TV, I guess. I always expect the principal bad guys to be rich white men in suits.
    • It's not logical that the principal donor from Malaysia would be content to remain unknown. I suspect the Obama campaign knew exactly where the money came from.
    • Have small donors had their credit card numbers hijacked and used to launder foreign donations? It looks that way.
    • Does anyone imagine this is a once and only?

*I'll adjust my expectations for justice in the 2016 campaign by the same seven years. Hopefully by 2023 (toward the end of Trump's second term) the Clinton Foundation will be in the process of dissolving.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    But wait, what? nothing was from the Russians?????????????

Last Online
    Today @ 8:41 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not even a smidgen of corruption.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:41 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The scandal-free administration.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    For years I have watched crazy leftists win elections. My first thought always is, is there that many crazy people out there? Probably not. Without lying and cheating they would probably never win.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this "full frontal white supremacy"? I'm still trying to figure out how Bok accused me of such. I doubt he will produce an example as asked and it's far below him to ever apologize for such an asinine statement. #wokeness
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    For years I have watched crazy leftists win elections. My first thought always is, is there that many crazy people out there? Probably not. Without lying and cheating they would probably never win.

Mark
    So now you think money wins elections?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 8:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    So now you think money wins elections?
    What??

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Is this "full frontal white supremacy"? I'm still trying to figure out how Bok accused me of such. I doubt he will produce an example as asked and it's far below him to ever apologize for such an asinine statement. #wokeness
    Based on your avatar he could make a case for bare-chested Asian supremacy. For what it's worth.

Personally, I'm glad your avatar isn't a sumo wrestler.