Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where on Earth Is Sam Sayers?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    And when you're hiking hard, sometimes that's all you want: just a light sweatshirt. That does not mean that ten seconds after that picture was taken she didn't add two more layers.
    Yeah, my learning curve on hiking was steep. My first hike I had on two pairs of jeans, an under layer shirt, a sweatshirt, a wool winter coat, hat, gloves and scarf. Halfway through the hike I thought I was going to die of heat stroke, despite it being about 30 degrees. Now, I rarely wear more than a light jacket. I do always have a hat and gloves and in very cold weather (below 35 or so) I will have something for my neck to pull up over my mouth and nose if necessary. I may also have some silks on underneath for added warmth.

Staying for an overnight is different though. It's amazing how cold you get when you're not actually hiking and instead just sitting around camp.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dressing in layers is always the way to go when you're going to be outside doing hiking. Heck, even when we walk in the winter but the sun is out, we might leave with a hoodie and a down jacket on but that jacket is tied around our waist on the way back.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    These stories are always fascinating to me (or anybody who is outdoorsy).

I understand the family and boyfriend wanted to keep up the search (and did) but that time frame wasn't realistic. She was an experienced hiker on essentially a day hike and plenty of people both use the trail and climb the peak. She wasn't in a remote area.

She could have walked out in hours or a day or so if she'd inexplicably gotten lost. If she'd been too injured to get out or respond, searchers would have found her. It's not like she hiked the whole thing that day and suddenly decided to set off on a multi-mile journey a few hours before dark. People do some pretty dumb things in the woods but these are mostly teens in groups or tourists who have no experience. Her remains would have been found if an animal had killed her - they don't pack prey out for 25 miles.

But humans do.

After 10 days or so, my thoughts would go to foul play in that scenario. There are a lot more crazy people in the woods than most people realize.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 2:29 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    There are certain things you shouldn't do by yourself, imo. Mountain climbing is one of them.
    Fly in mountain hunting in Alaska is another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.