Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grievance Proxies

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    An excellent question. I can't think of an example of what I consider adversity that thousands of people don't overcome every day.

There is a college in Appalachia dedicated to educating poor people in an area where young men went to work in mines at 14. Some of these young people come from homes made of scrap wood and tar paper, heated by a wood stove, some with running water and indoor plumbing, others without. The college actively scouts students who qualify whether their teachers promoted them or not. Surely these people are more disadvantaged than some kid who lives ten blocks from Capitol Hill in a Section 8 house with heat and air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and possibly cable television and internet. There is a diffrence between poor and dirt poor. There is a sense of permanency to dirt poor that has to be harder to break free from when you don't have major activist groups cheering you on. It should also be noted that people make disparaging remarks and jokes about "hillbillies" without compunction. I guess the reasoning is that if you are white then you don't have an excuse for being uneducated and poor.
    I hate this and I've experienced it. Oh, you have a 'funny' accent. Oh, you're too poor for the free school lunch (we qualified but didn't take it because we weren't 'too poor' to make a tuna sandwich and throw an apple in there).
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 5:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    An excellent question. I can't think of an example of what I consider adversity that thousands of people don't overcome every day.

There is a college in Appalachia dedicated to educating poor people in an area where young men went to work in mines at 14. Some of these young people come from homes made of scrap wood and tar paper, heated by a wood stove, some with running water and indoor plumbing, others without. The college actively scouts students who qualify whether their teachers promoted them or not. Surely these people are more disadvantaged than some kid who lives ten blocks from Capitol Hill in a Section 8 house with heat and air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and possibly cable television and internet. There is a diffrence between poor and dirt poor. There is a sense of permanency to dirt poor that has to be harder to break free from when you don't have major activist groups cheering you on.
    I'm not sure that's at all true.

"How's that working for you," you might ask. Like lottery winners, the darlings of these activist groups seldom benefit in the long run. What's required is something harder and much less glamorous that taking potshots at scapegoats. I think your last sentence hints at it:

...If you are white then you don't have an excuse for being uneducated and poor.
    I'm looking at the no excuse part. The drive to achieve must be inside. Achievement is hard, but doable. It was expected for generations in America. Your children would be better off than you are, or your parents were.

Now, I believe that to have a peaceful, productive society, the probability of success must be realistic. We are legitimately challenged to remove obstacles. There will never be a perfect result, however, and imperfections must never be allowed to be excuses.

Saturday in North Carolina I was talking up my "pains of full employment" theory to explain awkward customer contact employees. One person said people get jobs because they know people (have connections) and because they look like their employers. She was referring disparagingly to white people, but she was pretty down on everyone. A second woman said it depended on the job, but she liked seeing white men specifically, because her default assumption was that they were competent or they wouldn't be there. She wasn't so sure about others. (She was also partial to old workers, because of their attitude about customer service.) It seems just as likely to me that people in some favored group have to prove themselves more, and maybe they're better than the average white guy as a result. Maybe it all cancels out.

Meanwhile it's all clutter that amounts to another obstacle to achievement.

It should also be noted that people make disparaging remarks and jokes about "hillbillies" without compunction.
    Such as deplorable, irredeemable bitter clingers?
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would help a lot if kids were tracked in school (as they are in many places in Europe).

Not everybody is cut out to reach their potential in college. Not all degrees actually teach anything useful (amusing, yes, but useful, no). A master plumber is worth more in most respects than any kid with a Communications or Poli Sci degree.

I mean, how many times have you (or anybody) searched for a Poli Sci major who works after hours or on a holiday?

"Never" is how many times.

White people aren't immune from the usual setbacks and character flaws that characterize human beings. Generally, we simply don't hold them out as cultural ideals nor are we particularly envious or angry if other groups succeed. When was the last time you heard a white teen boy exclaim, "That's Asian" when denigrating a peer who studies hard?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It would help a lot if kids were tracked in school (as they are in many places in Europe).
    Booobabapap……………………….. can't do that. Minority profiling and such like...……..remember? EVERYONE gets the same trophy. Surprised teachers can still hand out grades...……….

Last Online
    Today @ 5:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Not everybody is cut out to reach their potential in college. Not all degrees actually teach anything useful (amusing, yes, but useful, no). A master plumber is worth more in most respects than any kid with a Communications or Poli Sci degree.

I mean, how many times have you (or anybody) searched for a Poli Sci major who works after hours or on a holiday?

"Never" is how many times.

White people aren't immune from the usual setbacks and character flaws that characterize human beings. Generally, we simply don't hold them out as cultural ideals nor are we particularly envious or angry if other groups succeed. When was the last time you heard a white teen boy exclaim, "That's Asian" when denigrating a peer who studies hard?
    We DO track kids, from “bluebirds” and “robins” reading groups to honors, AP or IB classes in High school.

But it’s often well masked, because of disparate impact problems, called Racism, of course.

(And tragically for our future, the budget ax falls first on so-called gifted or enrichment programs. Schools have to focus on pulling up every child to some minimal standard. The schools won’t be punished if there’s no tiny group going far beyond their peers.)
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

6. Likes Lady Marva liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The schools won’t be punished if there’s no tiny group going far beyond their peers.)
    just the kids are punished. While the teachers get automatic pay raises. Get the kids out of there!