Thread: Scary movies you just can't watch

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Scary movies you just can't watch

I can not watch any of the "Chuckie" movies. They freak me out. Also, Poltergeist was always a no go with me. Because I always slept with the t.v. on, thereby getting the test pattern and static (back before they had 24/7 programming), that part of the movie was particularly scary for me.

How about y'all?
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a fan of horror films of the last few decades; nothing but gore so no interest. Not sure if that is being scared but I would not watch any of the Saw franchise or other slashers. Us looks fantastic and may show a resurgence of smart, scary movies that used to be made like The Stepford Wives or The Omen.
    The reason Trump succeeded isnít that complicated after all. He didnít win the nomination by tapping into some nascent political movement. He won by doing a fairly good impression of a right-wing media celebrity. Every issue, every conspiracy, every applause line has been ripped from their websites, radio shows, and television programs. Itís why he became Americaís most prominent birther. Itís why he floated rumors that Ted Cruzís dad killed JFK, and that Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster. Itís why he talks the way he does about Mexicans and Muslims and women and African Americans. Itís why heís been able to get away with knowing little to nothing about policy or government or world affairs ó because Trump, like any good talking head, only speaks in chyrons and clauses and some-people-are-sayings.

Trumpís greatest trick has been to realize that right-wing media stars have a built-in audience that Republican politicians donít. To that audience, Jeb Bush talks like Washington talks. Ted Cruz talks like conservative ideologues talk. Marco Rubio talks like the last consultant he spoke with talks. But Trump talks like a true talk radio fan ó longtime listener, first-time caller. He comes off like the winner of a reality TV show in which one lucky Fox viewer gets picked to run for president of the United States.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    I am not a fan of horror films of the last few decades; nothing but gore so no interest. Not sure if that is being scared but I would not watch any of the Saw franchise or other slashers. Us looks fantastic and may show a resurgence of smart, scary movies that used to be made like The Stepford Wives or The Omen.
    I don't like gore or slasher films either. I watched the remake of The Stepford Wives. Unsurprisingly, I was not impressed. The Lost Boys still has one of the scariest scenes in it for me, when they are floating at the window, scratching at it. It is so eerily like the sound of a tree rustling during a storm that it has been ingrained in my memory as one of the scariest moments on film for me.

As a kid, Children of the Corn scared the heck out of me. A few years ago the kids turned it on to watch. My niece was terrified. I couldn't believe how insipid and funny it was because of such bad acting, etc. I was shocked that I didn't find it scary at all. My niece couldn't keep her eyes open she was so scared. Her brother and the cousins thought it hilarious. I probably was a mean aunt in that as we came home from our vacation and were driving through the corn fields I stopped the car and started reciting lines from the movie. I probably shouldn't do that to kids, but it's fun.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I don't like gore or slasher films either. I watched the remake of The Stepford Wives. Unsurprisingly, I was not impressed. The Lost Boys still has one of the scariest scenes in it for me, when they are floating at the window, scratching at it. It is so eerily like the sound of a tree rustling during a storm that it has been ingrained in my memory as one of the scariest moments on film for me.

As a kid, Children of the Corn scared the heck out of me. A few years ago the kids turned it on to watch. My niece was terrified. I couldn't believe how insipid and funny it was because of such bad acting, etc. I was shocked that I didn't find it scary at all. My niece couldn't keep her eyes open she was so scared. Her brother and the cousins thought it hilarious. I probably was a mean aunt in that as we came home from our vacation and were driving through the corn fields I stopped the car and started reciting lines from the movie. I probably shouldn't do that to kids, but it's fun.
    "MALACHI! He wants you, too. Malachi, he wants you, too."
    The reason Trump succeeded isnít that complicated after all. He didnít win the nomination by tapping into some nascent political movement. He won by doing a fairly good impression of a right-wing media celebrity. Every issue, every conspiracy, every applause line has been ripped from their websites, radio shows, and television programs. Itís why he became Americaís most prominent birther. Itís why he floated rumors that Ted Cruzís dad killed JFK, and that Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster. Itís why he talks the way he does about Mexicans and Muslims and women and African Americans. Itís why heís been able to get away with knowing little to nothing about policy or government or world affairs ó because Trump, like any good talking head, only speaks in chyrons and clauses and some-people-are-sayings.

Trumpís greatest trick has been to realize that right-wing media stars have a built-in audience that Republican politicians donít. To that audience, Jeb Bush talks like Washington talks. Ted Cruz talks like conservative ideologues talk. Marco Rubio talks like the last consultant he spoke with talks. But Trump talks like a true talk radio fan ó longtime listener, first-time caller. He comes off like the winner of a reality TV show in which one lucky Fox viewer gets picked to run for president of the United States.

5. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Hostel' was extremely difficult to watch and I would not see it again.

The remake of 'The Stepford Wives' was a black comedy, not a horror film and not a science fiction film (the original had elements of both). I thought it was amusing but it completely missed the central point of the book and original film. At least Katherine Ross wasn't in it so that was a plus.

'The Quiet Place' is a very well done, very tightly acted horror/sci fi film that should appeal to people who want a lot of tension but very little on-screen gore. Blunt was outstanding in that role.

I'm willing to see almost all horror films and I do see a lot. They range from comedies to extremely dark psychological horror along with the usual teen-in-peril stuff. I would not see 'Eraserhead' again, it was disturbing. Both versions of 'The Ring' are very unsettling. I was bothered by the imagery and implications in 'Jacob's Ladder'.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

7. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seven
    Salem's Lot
    Fallen
    The Others
    The Keep

They all scared me and not sure I'd watch them again.

I loved The Quiet Place. I saw it offered on Amazon and I plan to watch it...for the third time.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

9. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Seven
    Salem's Lot
    Fallen
    The Others
    The Keep

They all scared me and not sure I'd watch them again.

I loved The Quiet Place. I saw it offered on Amazon and I plan to watch it...for the third time.
    I love The Others. I forgot about that one.

11. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    I love The Others. I forgot about that one.
    It's very good but always underrated. Probably because it's mainly psychological.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 @ 7:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forrest Gump.
    ďWhen rich people hear that we want everyone to get equal access to healthcare, they naturally assume that means theyíll have to suffer the way we do, because they know that their extreme wealth depends fundamentally on our poverty.Ē ~ three08

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Angel Heart' and 'Cat People' from the same era. They were extremely different films in both aim and execution but some scenes (and sound tracks) sort of stuck in my mind.

Not in a bad way but persistently. I had also seen the original Noir film for 'Cat People' prior.

For the Notes: I'd shoot my brother before even seeing his tightly whities under almost all circumstances. He would also kill me if I appeared before him (them) in a teddy, saying, "Hey, Baby - Meow!".