Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prosecutors vow not to bring charges under severe abortion laws

Last Online
    Today @ 4:57 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Prosecutors vow not to bring charges under severe abortion laws

States are ignoring federal law. Sheriffs are ignoring state laws, and now this. It appears we have reached a point in America where the people in power will abide by the law...or not, depending on what they believe.

This is extremely dangerous to our country.

When the SCOTUS decided on Roe versus Wade, they made a grievous miscalculation. They assumed a right that was not in the Constitution, and we have been fighting over it ever since. And every fight erodes our confidence in our laws and our legal system. This is why the supreme court picks have become so important, because the law isn't important anymore. Its what the person who holds the position believes what the law means.

When women got the right to vote, it was done so Constitutionally. There would be no argument. Now, the court makes up the law as they see fit.

It will be the death of our country.

The facts at first seem unambiguous: A motorist is caught with 5 pounds of methamphetamines, a Schedule II controlled substance under Utah’s strict drug laws.

But Sim Gill, Salt Lake County’s district attorney, would decline to pursue such a hypothetical case if he discovered that the search had been unlawful — conducted without a warrant or in the absence of a reasonable suspicion that a traffic law had been breached.

Prosecutors should apply similar discretion, Gill argues, and refuse to bring charges under a wave of new abortion restrictions that plainly contradict Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court’s 1973 verdict that a woman has a constitutional right to choose whether to bear a child.

“We do this all the time, deciding that we have an ethical duty not to prosecute a case because it would be in violation of a constitutional protection afforded to citizens,” Gill, a Democrat, said in an interview with The Washington Post. “What’s new here is that this is an area, abortion, that we typically don’t find ourselves in, because the procedure has not been criminalized like this in recent history.”

Now that the question has been decisively transformed into one of criminal law — in his state and others that have banned abortion weeks before the viability threshold set forth in Roe — it’s up to prosecutors to “stand up for institutional integrity in these charged times,” Gill said.

“We cannot put people in jail for this,” he maintained.
    Rest at link.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...10H?li=BBnbcA1

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the whole intent of these laws is to generate a SCOTUS challenge and a run at reversing Roe v. Wade, so it makes sense that prosecutors would let that play out first.

Also, I remember a time not so long ago when pro-lifers said Trump was wrong for saying that women seeking abortions should be punished. And he walked it back.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I'm pretty sure the whole intent of these laws is to generate a SCOTUS challenge and a run at reversing Roe v. Wade, so it makes sense that prosecutors would let that play out first.

Also, I remember a time not so long ago when pro-lifers said Trump was wrong for saying that women seeking abortions should be punished. And he walked it back.
    That is not the question. The question is that whenever someone doesn't agree with the law today, they simply refuse to abide by it.

If that is whats happening, who cares whether Roe vs Wade is overturned? Like Sanctuary cities, the states will do what they want.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    That is not the question. The question is that whenever someone doesn't agree with the law today, they simply refuse to abide by it.

If that is whats happening, who cares whether Roe vs Wade is overturned? Like Sanctuary cities, the states will do what they want.

Mark
    Yeah, well, your world view notwithstanding, people do care whether or not Roe is overturned. Lots of people, on both sides of the issue.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, well, your world view notwithstanding, people do care whether or not Roe is overturned. Lots of people, on both sides of the issue.
    The trend seems to be that if you don't like a law, don't follow it.

If Alabama refused to follow any ruling by the Supreme Court, what difference will it make?

Mark

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The original intention of states' rights was that each state could run its own "experiment". The state would prosper or decline depending on whether the experiment worked out. If it worked out, other states could adopt whatever it was.

That still seems reasonable to me. Let some states restrict abortion or soda sales or hike taxes or have open carry or boot the Department of Education. Let's see how it goes. Give it 10 years and document the results.

If California wants to embrace all illegal aliens and deal with the wage suppression and cultural problems, let them. If states want to restrict abortion, let them. If some state decides the hourly wage is zero unless the worker adds value, let them.

These things will succeed or fail without some D.C. think tank managing the hype around potential outcomes. Let's just see the outcomes.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

7. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

My initial reaction to the headline was that I would have a hard time, as a prosecutor, pursuing a conviction of a woman who had an abortion under some of the newest laws. I would go after the doctor, though.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The original intention of states' rights was that each state could run its own "experiment". The state would prosper or decline depending on whether the experiment worked out. If it worked out, other states could adopt whatever it was.

That still seems reasonable to me. Let some states restrict abortion or soda sales or hike taxes or have open carry or boot the Department of Education. Let's see how it goes. Give it 10 years and document the results.

If California wants to embrace all illegal aliens and deal with the wage suppression and cultural problems, let them. If states want to restrict abortion, let them. If some state decides the hourly wage is zero unless the worker adds value, let them.

These things will succeed or fail without some D.C. think tank managing the hype around potential outcomes. Let's just see the outcomes.
    Careful what you wish for. California is a big market and can demand a great deal more than Wyoming to do business there.

But cheer up. You can get back at them by polluting their drinking water. Upstream, of course.
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    My initial reaction to the headline was that I would have a hard time, as a prosecutor, pursuing a conviction of a woman who had an abortion under some of the newest laws. I would go after the doctor, though.
    Prosecute the drug dealer, not the drug user?
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhhhhhhhh, well, law enforcement pretty much has whatever judgement it want to use about whatever...………….