Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prosecutors vow not to bring charges under severe abortion laws

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Does it state that women who have abortions will be criminally charged?
    It does not, apparently. Bok won't answer plainly. I'm not sure why, though. Despite his alleged pro-life stance, if there is a position by Republicans regarding it he will generally take an anti- stance to that position. Perhaps it's fear that it doesn't suggest a true centerist position to really believe that abortion should be illegal. If a fetus isn't a person, I'm not sure why abortion should be illegal.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

2. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I read the law correctly, it is the reverse; it codifies the circumstances where a woman will not be charged.
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

4. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    It does not, apparently. Bok won't answer plainly. I'm not sure why, though. Despite his alleged pro-life stance, if there is a position by Republicans regarding it he will generally take an anti- stance to that position. Perhaps it's fear that it doesn't suggest a true centerist position to really believe that abortion should be illegal. If a fetus isn't a person, I'm not sure why abortion should be illegal.
    Okay, I am seriously misunderstanding what is going on. And, as usual, it is pointless to treat people as communicating in good faith here. And I fell for it again.
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Okay, I am seriously misunderstanding what is going on. And, as usual, it is pointless to treat people as communicating in good faith here. And I fell for it again.
    People are trying to communicate in good faith. It appears that you may not be. Michele kept asking you a direct question. It was sort of a yes or no answer and you went out of your way not to answer it. Quite frankly, as I've had other things on my plate, I haven't been able to read in depth both of the two laws that were recently passed. Given the headlines I assumed there was some sort of express law in the most recent one directing prosecutions of the mothers of the unborn that were aborted. I think, if I remember correctly, the first one made some exceptions. In any event, you have the ability to speak plainly, yet won't. That refusal leads me to conclude that something else is going on, particularly with you posting the Onion story about the Alabama girl.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

7. Likes Michele, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post 15 already addressed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    While Georgia's law does not explicitly state that women will be prosecuted (that I am aware of) but there are consequences to conferring personhood on the individual in the womb. At that point, murder is murder, isn't it?
    That's pretty straightforward.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you don't think this is academic, this was mentioned in the MSN article:

The role of prosecutors is paramount. In 2015, a district attorney in Georgia brought murder charges against a 23-year-old for taking a pill that induced an abortion while she was in the second trimester. The charges were ultimately dropped.
    That was before the new law, but the new law doesn't make such charges less likely. I would say the granting of full legal personhood to fetuses makes such charges much more likely.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 3:44 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Just so you don't think this is academic, this was mentioned in the MSN article:

That was before the new law, but the new law doesn't make such charges less likely. I would say the granting of full legal personhood to fetuses makes such charges much more likely.
    And, as usual, BSDNC and Slate like to not mention the things that don't fit the narrative:

Those charges were later dropped after the Dougherty County District Attorney Greg Edwards determined Georgia law does not permit the prosecution of a woman ending her own pregnancy.
    So no, there is no law out there to prosecute women for having an abortion. That's just Leftist claptrap dreamed up in order to try to scare people.

ETA: furthermore, this was already adjudicated more than twenty years ago:

As wrong as this behavior sounds, prosecutors will have a difficult time convicting Jones of murder. Experts say Georgia law explicitly prohibits prosecuting women for feticide involving their own pregnancies.

"I'm thinking that perhaps whoever made the arrest may not have known what the laws really are," said Genevieve Wilson, a director of the anti-abortion group Georgia Right to Life.

A Georgia appeals court ruled in 1998 that a teenager whose fetus was stillborn after she shot herself in the abdomen could not be prosecuted for performing an illegal abortion.
    Last edited by Adam; Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 at 9:37 AM.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    And, as usual, BSDNC and Slate like to not mention the things that don't fit the narrative:

So no, there is no law out there to prosecute women for having an abortion. That's just Leftist claptrap dreamed up in order to try to scare people.
    You know they've changed the law since then.

-H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 3:44 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    You know they've changed the law since then.
    They did not change the law to make it possible to prosecute a woman for having an abortion. You're just outright lying when you try to claim that.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the bill's chief sponsor, the woman can be charged, but she'd be charged under the abortion statute, not the murder statute.

The billís chief sponsor, Rep. Ed Setzler, R-Acworth, said he doesnít support charging a woman who has an abortion with murder and insists the law doesnít allow that. He cites the legal doctrine known as the rule of lenity. That is, when two statutes can be used for the same criminal conduct, any ambiguity is resolved in the defendantís favor. In other words, the provision with the lesser punishment applies.For this reason, women can be prosecuted under Georgiaís criminal abortion statute,which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, as opposed to murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence, Setzler said.ďThis was all part of the debate on the bill,Ē the lawmaker said. ďIt was settled then and itís settled now. All of this is a political distraction.Ē
    I don't think that is necessarily the case, but it's a reasonable opinion.

-H. L. Mencken