Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NPR's Guidance Reminder: On Abortion Procedures, Terminology & Rights

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I see. They are unbiased and you wish them to be biased on this issue in your favor.
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Most normal everyday people recognize that women do not say they're pregnant with a fetus.

I don't see mothers as the standard of objectivity when it comes to their children. Nor would I want them to be.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Abortion isn't a pretty word because of what it is which is the killing of a most vulnerable human being. Obviously, some need to make themselves feel better by not using it.
    How is a small clump of undifferentiated cells a "human being"? Is it an abortion if the cells die in a test tube or petri dish?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've known a lot of pregnant women over the years and not one ever referred to her baby as a "fetus".

Nobody does that. Even women getting abortions understand that they are aborting babies. "Fetus" is a medical/media term that is rarely used in real life except jokingly. The Latin means "offspring" but it isn't a specific term. Nonetheless, "offspring" means infant of X parents (people, horses, sheep, etc.), it doesn't mean tumors, parasites, or weird growths. There are other Latin terms for all that.

Nobody ever rushed up excitedly and said, "Here's a picture of our fetus!". Or, "Our fetus isn't in the right position". Nobody says, "Sadly, we lost our fetus".

People all know intuitively that it's a baby.

Using what amounts to weasel words hasn't changed anybody's mind over the past 50 years so there's little point in using them now.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

5. Likes 80zephyr, Michele, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Using what amounts to weasel words hasn't changed anybody's mind over the past 50 years so there's little point in using them now.
    Because men use them as words to make laws to control women.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Okay, I see. They are unbiased and you wish them to be biased on this issue in your favor.
    You try so hard...it must be conflicting.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I don't see mothers as the standard of objectivity when it comes to their children. Nor would I want them to be.
    I don't see NPR being the standard of objectivity when it comes to any child, born or unborn.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    It is acceptable to use the phrase "anti-abortion rights," but do not use the term "pro-abortion rights"

That seems odd to me.Why is one acceptable but the other is not?
    Just as abortion needed to be changed to "choice" so as to try to soften the harshness of it, the term pro-life needed to be changed because, you know, most pro-life people only care about the baby fetus in the womb and they hope for it to die after it's born. You've heard it and have seen it on here by a couple of members.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as abortion needed to be changed to "choice" so as to try to soften the harshness of it, the term pro-life needed to be changed because, you know, most pro-life people only care about the baby fetus in the womb and they hope for it to die after it's born. You've heard it and have seen it on here by a couple of members.
    They don't use "pro-choice" either.

I don't get this. There are plenty of propaganda places for your affirmation you can listen to/read/watch. Why bag on NPR? Can we people who like accurate, unbiased information have a source? Does it all have to be propaganda all the time?
    “Totalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.”

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I've known a lot of pregnant women over the years and not one ever referred to her baby as a "fetus".
    Yeah, and I've known a lot of guys over the years and it is exceedingly rare they call their member a "penis" but that doesn't mean NPR should start calling it a dick.

~ Hannah Arendt

12. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post