Thread: Julian Assange Must Never Be Extradited

Last Online
    Today @ 8:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Julian Assange Must Never Be Extradited

Julian Assange Must Never Be Extradited

The second indictment of the Wikileaks co-founder seems designed to force the British to deny extradition. If not, it’s madness

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange today sits in the Belmarsh High Security prison in southeast London. Not just for his sake but for everyone’s, we now have to hope he’s never moved from there to America.

This provision buried in subsection 793 of the Espionage Law has, since passage, been a ticking time bomb for journalism. The law seems clearly to permit the government to prosecute anyone who simply obtains or receives “national defense” information. This would place not only sources who steal and deliver such information at risk of prosecution, but also the journalists who receive and publish it.

If the government ever decided to start using this tool to successfully prosecute reporters and publishers, we’d pretty quickly have no reporters and publishers.

This is why the latest indictment handed down in the Assange case has been met with almost universal horror across the media, even by outlets that spent much of the last two years denouncing Assange as a Russian cutout who handed Trump the presidency.

The 18-count indictment is an authoritarian’s dream, the work of attorneys who probably thought the Sedition Act was good law and the Red Scare era Palmer raids a good start. The “conspiracy to commit computer intrusion” is there again, as the 18th count. But counts 1-17 are all subsection 793 charges, and all are worst-case-scenario interpretations of the Espionage Act as pertains to both the receipt and publication of secrets.

Slowly – it’s incredible how slowly – it is dawning on much of the press that this case is not just an effort to punish a Russiagate villain, but instead a deadly serious effort to use Assange as a pawn in a broad authoritarian crackdown.

The very news outlets that have long blasted Donald Trump for his hostility to press freedoms are finally coming around to realize that this case is the ultimate example of all of their fears.

Hence even the Washington Post, no friend of Assange’s of late, is now writing this indictment could “criminalize investigative journalism.” CNN wrote, “What is at stake is journalism as we know it.”
    Seems like this whole "enemy of the people" thing is more than a catchphrase.

Priebus recalled that McGahn said that the President had asked him to "do crazy shit," but he thought McGahn did not tell him the specifics of the President's request because McGahn was trying to protect Priebus from what he did not need to know.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not worried about "the fears of the press". They can pound sand for all their "unbias".

Last Online
    Today @ 5:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been so long that I don't remember: was Assange ever a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?

If neither, then I think that he's probably not actually subject to imprisonment under U.S. espionage laws unless he literally came in as a tourist and stole stuff from the Pentagon or the NSA or something (which, AFAIK, isn't even close to what he did).

I think that he's an SOB for what he did, but my suspicion is that it probably wasn't actually illegal, only because the laws had not caught up with his actions.

I think that I would probably say that he's already paid enough of a price to the U.S. from a legal standpoint, but I would REALLY like to see him grilled in front of Congress about from whence he got things like the emails that he published, but I suspect that will be most easily accomplished with an agreement to testify with immunity.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

4. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's been so long that I don't remember: was Assange ever a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?

If neither, then I think that he's probably not actually subject to imprisonment under U.S. espionage laws unless he literally came in as a tourist and stole stuff from the Pentagon or the NSA or something (which, AFAIK, isn't even close to what he did).

I think that he's an SOB for what he did, but my suspicion is that it probably wasn't actually illegal, only because the laws had not caught up with his actions.

I think that I would probably say that he's already paid enough of a price to the U.S. from a legal standpoint, but I would REALLY like to see him grilled in front of Congress about from whence he got things like the emails that he published, but I suspect that will be most easily accomplished with an agreement to testify with immunity.
    When I think of Assange staying years in the Ecuadorian embassy I think of the scene from John Wick 2 where Santino D'Antonio says he could stay in the Continental for years and never eat the same meal twice. WTF has Assange been eating for years? Beans & Rice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:48 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    When I think of Assange staying years in the Ecuadorian embassy I think of the scene from John Wick 2 where Santino D'Antonio says he could stay in the Continental for years and never eat the same meal twice. WTF has Assange been eating for years? Beans & Rice?
    I'm guessing quinoa and some sort of black beans or something, but who knows.

I haven't actually seen the video, but from what I heard, he looked like death warmed over when they dragged him out of the embassy. I rather doubt that he's getting beef Wellington and eggs Benedict in whatever British jail he's occupying (though they aren't exactly known for their harsh treatment of prisoners, either, so who knows).

FTR, I only ever watched the first John Wick on Amazon Prime about a week ago with my brother (who had never seen it, either), so any references to later episodes are pretty much lost on me. Then again, he had never seen any reference to Deadpool (movies or otherwise; neither of us give two shits about comic book stuff) and we watched that and I'm pretty sure that I have never seen him laugh so hard in his entire life.

"Teabag!"

Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 9:01 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm guessing quinoa and some sort of black beans or something, but who knows.

I haven't actually seen the video, but from what I heard, he looked like death warmed over when they dragged him out of the embassy. I rather doubt that he's getting beef Wellington and eggs Benedict in whatever British jail he's occupying (though they aren't exactly known for their harsh treatment of prisoners, either, so who knows).

FTR, I only ever watched the first John Wick on Amazon Prime about a week ago with my brother (who had never seen it, either), so any references to later episodes are pretty much lost on me. Then again, he had never seen any reference to Deadpool (movies or otherwise; neither of us give two shits about comic book stuff) and we watched that and I'm pretty sure that I have never seen him laugh so hard in his entire life.

"Teabag!"

Deadpool 1 & 2 are two of Joyce's favorites. She is morally bankrupt.

John Wick has progressed into more and more a fantasy franchise but the groundwork and weapons skills demonstrated are fairly exemplary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.