Thread: Always wear your glasses when fishing

Last Online
    Today @ 9:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Always wear your glasses when fishing

Especially if you are combat fishing in Alaska.

Yuk!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:48 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that was cheerful. Thankfully, I haven't done that to myself or anyone else!
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, that was cheerful. Thankfully, I haven't done that to myself or anyone else!
    Quiz question!! - Where is the most common spot to get hooked?
    No, you do. Except when you go full frontal white supremacy. Then they just pretend you didn’t say that. They do that with all their bigots except Lady Marva. That is probably because her racism is clumsy. But so is Mark’s but in a Trumpian acceptable way, I guess.

But you? You are rarely challenged here (other than by Bane) and even then, when Celeste forgets how much she loves her gun, it is exceedingly mild.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Quiz question!! - Where is the most common spot to get hooked?
    I feel this might be a trick question. I have hooked myself but not when casting so based on "lived experience" as they now put it, I'd say in the hands when trying to remove a hook (I now use pliers).

Based on what other people say, I'd guess the most common spot to get hooked is roughly 7 feet behind an eight year old.

Honestly, I have no idea.

5. Likes Adam liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel this might be a trick question. I have hooked myself but not when casting so based on "lived experience" as they now put it, I'd say in the hands when trying to remove a hook (I now use pliers).

Based on what other people say, I'd guess the most common spot to get hooked is roughly 7 feet behind an eight year old.

The Occiput. I'll explain later.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned it was the back of the head. Generally self hooking during casts.

When we first came to Alaska as travel nurses in '89 we worked at Central Peninsula General Hospital in Soldotna on the Kenai Peninsula. The ER is well know for having one of the highest rates of fishhook removal percentages in the nation. Mainly thanks to the Kenai river and its "combat fishing" access during the summer.

The ER had a very large five foot felt cutout of a King Salmon and if anyone came in for hook or lure removal we would ask if the hook or lure could be donated to the felt fish. By the end of the summer that fish would be completely covered in hooks and lures.

Here is an ER Journal article done the following year by our friends in the ER Physician group concerning fish hook injuries and removal techniques. Unfortunately I can only find the abstract online and I'm not going to pay for access to the whole article just to link it here.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly fly fish or pole fish (in reservoirs). Fly hooks are sharp but fairly small (at least for trout) so when I've slipped when taking one out it's always been very minor. I clipped the barb off and pulled the shaft out (twice). I had one hook-related mishap with a pole but that was a big catfish and it appeared dead after 10 minutes or so.

It was not dead.

Did not have to clip the hook but it gave me a lurid scratch. I don't even eat catfish.

I took some solace when my neighbor slammed the fish's head on a big nail in his fence and ripped the skin off with pliers.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:55 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.