Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Agreement reached between Mexico and US averting tariffs

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    From the Shear/Haberman essay. It's always fun to swap in Obama's name and see if the paragraph is conceivable:
    It isn’t. Obama would never do something so stupid.
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

Last Online
    Today @ 9:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by He Who Still Can't Be Quoted
    It isn’t. Obama would never do something so stupid.
    "I don't bluff," said the One.

And the Old Gray Lady would never, ever wonder in a news report if Obama understood something.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I don't bluff," said the One.
    Not sure what keeping Iran from getting nuclear weapons has to do with this but, here we are.

And the Old Gray Lady would never, ever wonder in a news report if Obama understood something.
    Of course not. Why would they?
    Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

~ David Frum

Last Online
    Today @ 8:06 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read this tweet and think hard about whether it's unfair to wonder if Trump, more than any other president, understands anything.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Today @ 7:04 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Read this tweet and think hard about whether it's unfair to wonder if Trump, more than any other president, understands anything.

It's certainly unfair, based upon that tweet. Literally every single word he said in that tweet is precisely accurate and correct.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

6. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yeah, I think he understands quite a lot, and most of the time more than his harsher critics. (But then we're mostly talking about politicians so perhaps the bar isn't too high.)

My observation was about the liberal media's relationship to #44, which was supportive to a fault.

This meme made me laugh,
    Quote Originally Posted by bandersnatch45 View Post
    An iPod to a woman of the Queen's generation is awkward enough, but one containing his own mellifluous voice is akin to giving an 8x10 glossy of yourself as a baby shower gift, in my opinion.

Do you think Barack Obama understands anything?

Even the Old Gray Lady had her tongue in cheek a bit, Obamas Give Queen Elizabeth an iPod (Helene Cooper):
    LONDON — Finally, an answer to the question consuming protocol watchers and tabloid reporters here: What did the Obamas give Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday when they arrived at Buckingham Palace?

An iPod.

An Obama aide reported the queen was given an iPod loaded with video and photos of her 2007 trip to the United States, as well as songs and accessories. She also received a rare songbook signed by the composer Richard Rodgers.

The gift issue had come up after Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited the White House last month. Mr. Brown gave Mr. Obama a pen holder carved from the timber of an anti-slave ship, receiving in return a DVD box set of American movies, igniting a torrent of criticism in the British press....
    The words "An iPod" are in the same, stand-alone, punch line position that the Haberman bon mot has in the earlier article,

After nine days of uncertainty, Mr. Trump backed down and accepted Mexico’s promises.
    Personally I'm much more interested in the songbook. I want details! I could find out more elsewhere, sure, but here the "rare songbook signed by the composer Richard Rodgers" is relegated to a mere footnote, an aside. At the time the awkwardness of the iPod was more riveting to the press and public.

Y'know, the parallel punch lines undercut my contention that the NYT is and was overly protective of Obama. I won't give it up so easily over a contrary instance, but for now I'm out of NYT freebies for the month, so I'll take a rain check.

- - - - -

As an aside, I don't think Obama liked the British very much, just as an abstract representation of colonial imperialism. Banishing the Churchill bust, snubbing the Prime Minister (too tired to meet with him), calling France our number 1 BFF, among other slights, were admittedly a pale shadow of the venom he threw at Israel, but I think the Brits got the point.
    Last edited by Newman; Sunday, June 9th, 2019 at 11:26 PM.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's certainly unfair, based upon that tweet. Literally every single word he said in that tweet is precisely accurate and correct.
    Man, you got it bad. Private companies are not a first amendment issue.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

After nine days of uncertainty, Mr. Trump backed down and accepted Mexico’s promises.

Mexican military begins arresting migrants riding 'The Beast' train to US border
    Mexican military deployed throughout the country as part of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador's vow to do more to apprehend migrants headed to the United States, have officially begun targeting foreigners who have hitched rides aboard a freight train known as "The Beast" to get to the U.S.-Mexico border, local media reported Sunday.

Mexican National Guard held up the "La Bestia" train in an unpopulated area near Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas, a city north of the Mexico-Guatemala border, where migrants have been crossing into the country.

The operation marked the first of its kind since López Obrador and President Trump reached a deal late Friday, in which the U.S. would hold off on tariffs against Mexican imports if the government did more to prevent people from traveling through the country.
    The reporter, Anna Giaritelli, gives us a droplet of historical context:
    Migrants have used freight trains at a lower rate in recent years compared to how popular it was around 2014 and 2015, when unaccompanied children and families began climbing aboard the trains to avoid paying smugglers to get them to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Mexican authorities in 2014 declared it illegal to ride on the trains when the practice became widespread. Until this weekend, the move has gone largely unenforced.
    Thank goodness Mr. Trump backed down and accepted Mexico’s promises.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, you got it bad. Private companies are not a first amendment issue.
    We are in the trust-busting sphere, with big tech, not the family farm.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are in the trust-busting sphere, with big tech, not the family farm.
    Man, you got it bad. Trust busting has fuck-all to do with freedom of speech (or the randomly capitalized "Freedom of Speech").

-H. L. Mencken