Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I Had an Abortion. Itís None of Your Business Why.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if it had been hashed out in congressional hearings and gone through the whole "bill becomes law" process, our abortion policy would be just as settled and controversy-free as the Affordable Care Act is.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Abortion isn't going anywhere. Even if it goes back to SCOTUS, Roberts will not vote to undo it because it would forever define his court just as throwing out Obamacare would have and I doubt Kavanaugh would vote differently than Roberts.
    Roberts may try to geld Roe, or possibly use incrementalism, to avoid the almost certain political backlash against the Court should they outright overturn the decision.

Personally, I think it is too late for our Judicial Branch but he might try to save it.
    ďTotalitarianism in power invariably replaces all first-rate talents, regardless of their sympathies, with those crackpots and fools whose lack of intelligence and creativity is still the best guarantee of their loyalty.Ē

~ Hannah Arendt

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Roberts may try to geld Roe, or possibly use incrementalism, to avoid the almost certain political backlash against the Court should they outright overturn the decision.

Personally, I think it is too late for our Judicial Branch but he might try to save it.
    Yeah, I don't think he'll do anything except to uphold it.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don't think he'll do anything except to uphold it.
    When I favored repeal it was on the political grounds that allowing the states to parse the issue as each saw fit would lead to a happier union. And would take the issue off the national docket. I was tired of the extremists, NARAL v Right to Life Party, e.g., maybe before Wayback was invented.

I've changed a bit on that. If it's "repealed" it will be replaced at the same moment with a refinement, the shape of which I have no inkling, but will again affirm the right to abort very early on. That much is accepted by almost everyone, including me.

We'll see. I've read that the SCOTUS "isn't ready" to review Roe v Wade, whatever that means. Maybe it means they don't have a clue how to resolve things either.
    ďThe interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasnít originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.Ē óSaikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." óCNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:57 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I assumed that's how all states were, but realize that is just an assumption. In Pennsylvania, absent a compelling reason, a requirement to receive state welfare benefits for a child is to name the child's father and he is brought to court. His payments then go to the State to repay the state for the benefits. So, if a woman gets more money by being on welfare than what the father of the child could provide, she still gets the welfare money and his support goes to the state as partial repayment. In this way, she is not "choosing" welfare over the child's father.

I do not believe for one minute that any significant number of women purposely get pregnant in order to receive state benefits. The financial detriment that occurs by having a child while in poverty is too great for it to be a real incentive.
    And yet, it seems many women don't name a father.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the best we (people who don't believe abortion should be legal up until the moment before birth) can hope for is something like the restrictions in most of Europe - abortion on request in the first trimester and/or a few weeks into the second with all the special circumstances as exceptions. The majority of abortions seem to be done within that time period.

Abortion isn't going anywhere. Even if it goes back to SCOTUS, Roberts will not vote to undo it because it would forever define his court just as throwing out Obamacare would have and I doubt Kavanaugh would vote differently than Roberts. I go back to the article that I read about why we are (and have been) stuck in such a corrosive debate over abortion...our country as a whole never got to discuss and pass our abortion law.
    This has happened with other issues, and its bullshit.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Yeah, if it had been hashed out in congressional hearings and gone through the whole "bill becomes law" process, our abortion policy would be just as settled and controversy-free as the Affordable Care Act is.
    It, and other issues should have been handled like the womens right to vote.

Mark

8. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
    But you know if the Amendment paralleled the Roe v Wade decision we'd have the same problems.
    ďThe interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasnít originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.Ē óSaikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." óCNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    But you know if the Amendment paralleled the Roe v Wade decision we'd have the same problems.
    But, it would have been voted on by the states, not mandated by a court.

And America wonders why the courts have been politicized.

Mark

Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
    You mean with a constitutional amendment? If so, there is nothing preventing that now. Go start one.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken