Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Did This High School Prank Go Too Far?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Wednesday, June 17th, 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Posts
    10,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Did This High School Prank Go Too Far?

    Clever enough to make the news...…………………..

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartanntp


    Did this high school prank go too far?

    Students at Gladstone High School in Oregon celebrated their impending graduation by going into the school early Friday morning and moving hundreds of desks out of classrooms and into the hallways. The seniors also replaced erasers with hot dogs.
    While many think senior pranks are harmless rites of passage, the school's principal didn't see this one as a laughing matter.

    The principal emailed parents about the stunt, threatening to not let students walk at graduation and get the police involved.
    It left students and parents stunned.

    Now, Gladstone's principal said he will let the students walk. However, he said that those involved will have to pay $47 each to cover the cost of cleaning up the prank.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to this, there are 673 students. Assuming a roughly even distribution across all four grades, we're looking at a graduating class of about 168 students. I am not at all buying that it cost the school $7900 to clean up some hot dogs in some chalk trays.

    Either there was much more that went on here, or the principal is full of shit.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

  3. Likes scott liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    According to this, there are 673 students. Assuming a roughly even distribution across all four grades, we're looking at a graduating class of about 168 students. I am not at all buying that it cost the school $7900 to clean up some hot dogs in some chalk trays.

    Either there was much more that went on here, or the principal is full of shit.
    He said those involved would have to pay for it, not necessarily the whole senior class.

    I imagine it caused some overtime for the janitorial staff, and that's unfortunate that their time was spent having to fix this. But overall, it's a small prank. The class ahead of me burned down the equipment shed on the athletic field.

    Another class spray painted "Teenage Wasteland" on the front of the brick building, causing a lot of monetary damage for the repair.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Posts
    18,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    As pranks go, this one seems pretty mild but it seems fair to charge the kids involved for the staff time (which they can apparently do since they upgraded their security system and can identify all 40-odd students involved).

    A bigger problem is that they had to break into the school and somehow manipulated or abused a janitor into unlocking the classroom doors.

    Now, that's not okay. Pranks need to stop short of illegal activity. If that janitor is part of a contract crew (as many are), he'll get fired while these kids pay a few bucks and have a great summer.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:09 AM
    Posts
    8,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at the video at the link and thinking to myself, If I were a custodian at one of those schools, how amused would I be to be staring at that chore at the beginning of summer?

    More kids were involved cramming those hallways and making little hats for the hot dogs than there are adults who apparently will be doing the clean-up.

    I don't think levying a fine is appropriate. That's far too easy.

    How 'bout an email acknowledging the spirit and energy of the pranksters, and saying the buildings will be open to allow students to replace the tables and chairs and clean up the hot dogs, and that when the job is complete to the satisfaction of the custodial staff, in consultation with the principal, the commencement ceremony will commence, on schedule, hopefully. No diplomas will be awarded prior to the ceremony, of course.

    Thank you, etc.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

  7. Likes phillygirl liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:09 AM
    Posts
    8,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience the custodial staff are usually well known personally by the students, and it's hard for me to imagine the students as a whole would be so callous as to stick them with this huge clean-up chore. Students could put this right in just a few hours.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I'm looking at the video at the link and thinking to myself, If I were a custodian at one of those schools, how amused would I be to be staring at that chore at the beginning of summer?

    More kids were involved cramming those hallways and making little hats for the hot dogs than there are adults who apparently will be doing the clean-up.

    I don't think levying a fine is appropriate. That's far too easy.

    How 'bout an email acknowledging the spirit and energy of the pranksters, and saying the buildings will be open to allow students to replace the tables and chairs and clean up the hot dogs, and that when the job is complete to the satisfaction of the custodial staff, in consultation with the principal, the commencement ceremony will commence, on schedule, hopefully. No diplomas will be awarded prior to the ceremony, of course.

    Thank you, etc.
    I agree with that as a solution. I watched part of the video now and I don't like the attitude of the girl and her father. It is the custodians that bear the brunt of this prank. When the seniors burned down the equipment shed it really was kind of awful. Every year the seniors painted grafitti on it as part of their prank, but it was expected and a new coat of paint was not begrudged. Burning it took it to another level.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:37 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see a video when I went to the link this morning. Having seen it, I'm even more convinced that this was a nothing prank. Hot dogs stood on their end with a little hat on just aren't going to generate that much of a mess.

    Now, should the ones who did it have been made to clean up even a small mess? Yep. Say, "OK, ha ha, you pulled a prank. Now you're going to clean this up starting at 3:00."

    The headmaster went ludicrously overboard. I had one like him in middle school: some guy on a major power trip.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

  11. Likes Newman liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Friday, October 4th, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was in 6th grade, a friend an I put Easter egg dye pellets in the stools in the men's bathroom. Someone saw us and ratted us out.

    We were in class when the Superintendent and Principal (my Grandfather) knocked on the door and told us to come.

    We went to the men's room and were given rags and told to clean the stools while we were paddled.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

  13. Likes scott liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:09 AM
    Posts
    8,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    When I was in 6th grade, a friend an I put Easter egg dye pellets in the stools in the men's bathroom. Someone saw us and ratted us out.

    We were in class when the Superintendent and Principal (my Grandfather) knocked on the door and told us to come.

    We went to the men's room and were given rags and told to clean the stools while we were paddled.
    Weird, Gramps, and the simultaneous work and paddling sounds perverse to me.

    By "stools" I hope you mean the toilet bowls. It's hard for me to picture anything else while I'm eating dinner.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •