Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did This High School Prank Go Too Far?

Last Online
    Today @ 2:36 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of years ago I remember reading of a prank in which kids planted hundreds (thousands?) of plastic forks in the school grounds.

I don't remember if there was much huffing and puffing about the trouble with kids today, but I also specifically don't recall anyone noticing that the kids were saying, "High School is done. Stick a fork in it." More's the pity.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    He said those involved would have to pay for it, not necessarily the whole senior class.

I imagine it caused some overtime for the janitorial staff, and that's unfortunate that their time was spent having to fix this. But overall, it's a small prank. The class ahead of me burned down the equipment shed on the athletic field.

Another class spray painted "Teenage Wasteland" on the front of the brick building, causing a lot of monetary damage for the repair.
    I think the bigger issue is that we've criminalized adolescence, even as we artificially prolong it. Things that were common senior pranks when my parents and even slightly older friends were teens had already become "vandalism" by the time I graduated. The educational establishment infantilizes near-adults, but has lost all sense of humor and proportion over teen-age hijinks.

Consider the lyrics of this nostalgic (even when I was a teen) popular song:

"The New Year's Eve we did the town
    The day we tore the goal post down
    We'll have these moments to remember."

Every year the jocks painted the bridge on the Potomac: "Go St John's - Beat Gonzaga!" Now it's graffiti/vandalism.

The schools used to steal each other's mascots (they were always returned...eventually).

The boys from my 9th-grade class put the popular biology teacher's brand new 'Vette on the roof of the shed. Today they would be charged with grand theft auto. Then, he told them to get it down without a scratch or he would get all their parents to enroll them in summer school.

It would be nice if we would give the schools back the right and the means to enforce appropriate behavior daily during school hours, exclude the actual criminals, and require them to have a little perspective about end-of-year pranks and other essentially harmless incidents of blowing off steam.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I think the bigger issue is that we've criminalized adolescence, even as we artificially prolong it. Things that were common senior pranks when my parents and even slightly older friends were teens had already become "vandalism" by the time I graduated. The educational establishment infantilizes near-adults, but has lost all sense of humor and proportion over teen-age hijinks.

Every year the jocks painted the bridge on the Potomac: "Go St John's - Beat Gonzaga!" Now it's graffiti/vandalism.

The schools used to steal each other's mascots (they were always returned...eventually).

The boys from my 9th-grade class put the popular biology teacher's brand new 'Vette on the roof of the shed. Today they would be charged with grand theft auto. Then, he told them to get it down without a scratch or he would get all their parents to enroll them in summer school.

It would be nice if we would give the schools back the right and the means to enforce appropriate behavior daily during school hours, exclude the actual criminals, and require them to have a little perspective about end-of-year pranks and other essentially harmless incidents of blowing off steam.

Funny how times have changed. In the early 1900's here, boys would put a stick of dynamite in the manure pile on the town square.

Can you imagine that today?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

4. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 2:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your post but I also find it interesting that in the same timeframe where the "pranks" became crimes many parents would now lie and cover up for their children instead of making them stand responsible for their actions.
    If it pays, it stays

6. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:36 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're approaching consensus. The principal in this hallway-stuffing incident misfired in his reaction.

Compare this story of yours:
    The boys are held accountable to undo their handiwork (without a scratch), given an "or else" and a deadline (summer school would begin in...), and I presume from your telling, no further consequence. Anticipating all that, I doubt the culprits tried to remain undiscovered.

What I didn't like about the current incident is that there seemed to be an expectation by the kids (and at least one parent) that someone else would clean up their mess.

And I found the principal's suggestion of a fine, to pay for someone else to clean up their mess, no better at all.

Often pranks become tradition, like the mascot swiping, and no harm is expected. The mascots aren't slaughtered, for example. Some colleges like my own alma mater have designated sites for graffiti. At Oberlin it was (is?) a particular rock in the town square.

It takes a lot of mutually understood boundaries to enjoy those traditions, exactly as you say, and recover our sense of humor and tolerance.
    Last edited by Newman; Tuesday, June 11th, 2019 at 8:34 PM.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

8. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think we're all pretty much on the same page here.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 7:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bigger issue is that we've criminalized adolescence, even as we artificially prolong it.
    This.

1000% this.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 7:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I think we're approaching consensus. The principal in this hallway-stuffing incident misfired in his reaction.

Compare this story of yours:

The boys are held accountable to undo their handiwork (without a scratch), given an "or else" and a deadline (summer school would begin in...), and I presume from your telling, no further consequence. Anticipating all that, I doubt the culprits tried to remain undiscovered.

What I didn't like about the current incident is that there seemed to be an expectation by the kids (and at least one parent) that someone else would clean up their mess.

And I found the principal's suggestion of a fine, to pay for someone else to clean up their mess, no better at all.

Often pranks become tradition, like the mascot swiping, and no harm is expected. The mascots aren't slaughtered, for example. Some colleges like my own alma mater have designated sites for graffiti. At Oberlin it was (is?) a particular rock in the town square.

It takes a lot of mutually understood boundaries to enjoy those traditions, exactly as you say, and recover our sense of humor and tolerance.
    Well not to bring "big government" into this too much but I did notice a change when pranks became criminalized at about the same time high schools outsourced discipline to local Police.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Today @ 1:42 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a freshman, we put a prof's vw beetle up a flight stairs on the main entrance of the Juco I was enrolled attending. 35 steps to the landing.
    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
    and lost …
    But the Republicans are racist.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    When I was a freshman, we put a prof's vw beetle up a flight stairs on the main entrance of the Juco I was enrolled attending. 35 steps to the landing.
    If he could get into it, he could simply drive it down the stairs.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.