Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Fires

Last Online
    Today @ 7:54 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Wild Fires

The air quality in Anchorage right now is terrible, as in unhealthy, thanks to the Swan Lakes fire on the Kenai Peninsula. There's no relief in sight for the near future. We worked out today with the the doors all closed at the box and the heat was oppressive.

Got a text an hour ago from Brett, my hunting partner for our White Mountain sheep hunt in September. There's a lightning strike fire now consuming 45,000 acres 12 miles from the ridge line we planned on using for the landing area for the Supercub. Alaska does not fight wilderness fires. They are left to burn.

Hopefully the weather will give us some much needed rain in the Swan Lakes area and the never to be named sheep area.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've had some big ones.

I remember reading a book and laying on lounge chair and suddenly realizing that I was covered in ash.

Obviously all subsequent work days were essentially 18 hours.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The air quality in Anchorage right now is terrible, as in unhealthy, thanks to the Swan Lakes fire on the Kenai Peninsula. There's no relief in sight for the near future. We worked out today with the the doors all closed at the box and the heat was oppressive.

Got a text an hour ago from Brett, my hunting partner for our White Mountain sheep hunt in September. There's a lightning strike fire now consuming 45,000 acres 12 miles from the ridge line we planned on using for the landing area for the Supercub. Alaska does not fight wilderness fires. They are left to burn.

Hopefully the weather will give us some much needed rain in the Swan Lakes area and the never to be named sheep area.
    Got that hat and t-shirt. Sorry to hear it; it's miserable.
    "Think as I think," said a man,
    "Or you are abominably wicked;
    You are a toad."
    And after I had thought of it,
    I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Got that hat and t-shirt. Sorry to hear it; it's miserable.
    Been there before but this smoke is coupled with the worst heat I can remember bearing up here. We got into the 80's the last two days on our mountainside. I know that doesn't sound like much to to the 100 degree flatlands on here but our sun is 20 hours long and like the magnifying glass I tortured ants with in my misguided youth.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    But...but forest fires are a main driver of CO2 global warming, and they let it burn?

We are all gonna die!!!

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

We are all gonna die!!!

Mark
    True enough.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The news worsens. The Hess Creek fire is now very close to the spot we were landing for the Sheep hunt. It's now up to 94,000 acres with 0% containment.

If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:23 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The news worsens. The Hess Creek fire is now very close to the spot we were landing for the Sheep hunt. It's now up to 94,000 acres with 0% containment.

Erm...

If no one is fighting that fire, won't it always be at 0% containment? I mean, I suppose if it somehow burns down to just a fire in someone's Weber grill or whatever, then I guess it would have some percentage of containment by default, but that's pretty spectacularly unlikely.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Erm...

If no one is fighting that fire, won't it always be at 0% containment? I mean, I suppose if it somehow burns down to just a fire in someone's Weber grill or whatever, then I guess it would have some percentage of containment by default, but that's pretty spectacularly unlikely.
    53 are fighting it. Mainly being dropped at remote cabins to try and firewise them. If it ever rains again up here nature will contain the fire.
    If it pays, it stays