Thread: Why is Amazon blocking reviews of the #1 best seller "Justice on Trial"

Last Online
    Saturday, August 17th, 2019 @ 2:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Amazon blocking reviews of the #1 best seller "Justice on Trial"

Amazon is refusing to publish many reviews and ratings of the No. 1 best-selling “Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court,” according to multiple reports from readers who purchased the book directly from Amazon.

The Federalist independently confirmed that many reviews by verified purchasers of “Justice on Trial” were not being published by Amazon. Some fake reviews from non-purchasers and reviews from those who clearly had not read the book, however, were published immediately. As of Wednesday evening, the online retailer had allowed only 16 reviews of the top-selling book to be published.

One reviewer whose critique was published by Amazon accused the authors of “stay[ing] away from using the term rape” regarding unsubstantiated accusations of sexual assault made against Kavanaugh during the confirmation process in 2018. A word search of the Kindle version of the book shows that the term was used 41 times by the authors. Another review, from an individual who did not purchase the book from Amazon, wrote that it was the “[w]orst book ever” and rated the book with one star.

The Seattle-based retail giant has a history of manipulating reviews and ratings for high-profile political books. In 2017, Amazon confirmed that it manually conducted mass deletions of one-star reviews of Hillary Clinton’s book detailing her failed 2016 presidential campaign. According to news reports at the time, Amazon deleted more than 900 one-star reviews of Clinton’s memoir. After the release of fired former FBI director James Comey’s book last year, Amazon reportedly banned reviews from individuals who hadn’t purchased the book from Amazon.

In 2018, the Wall Street Journal reported that Amazon employees were being investigated for manipulating product reviews in exchange for cash.

“The going rate for having an Amazon employee delete negative reviews is about $300 per review, according to people familiar with the practice,” the Wall Street Journal noted. “Brokers usually demand a five-review minimum, meaning that sellers typically must pay at least $1,500 for the service, the people said.”

A 2019 expose published by The Hustle dove deep into what it called Amazon’s “massive fake-review economy.”
    LINK
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Saturday, August 17th, 2019 @ 11:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't bought or read this book but I've run into Amazon's fake reviews before. Mainly in Books but often enough in other categories.

Amazon used to be a very level player with a robust community doing feedback. Now, I'm not as sure. I guess I'm skeptical now.

I have often left reviews of products (mostly garden and kitchen stuff, sometimes clothing, and a few book reviews) but I seldom bother now. I can't tell the genuine purchases from the trolls. Not everybody reviewing an item buys it from Amazon, I know I don't.

It's a pity because the reviews are the best feature of Amazon.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:50 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the easiest solution to this problem would be to simply restrict reviews of potentially contentious books to those who have actually purchased the book from Amazon.
    Elect a clown — expect a circus.

4. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It seems like the easiest solution to this problem would be to simply restrict reviews of potentially contentious books to those who have actually purchased the book from Amazon.
    The article mentions their having done that (Comey's book), but that's problematic, too.

But really, how hard is it not to take the reviews seriously? Or to read them merely for entertainment, which is my choice?

If they choose, they could put a warning of some sort above the reviews, maybe something like, "Amazon employees accept bribes to manipulate reviews. Contact "Bob" at...."
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I can't tell the genuine purchases from the trolls. Not everybody reviewing an item buys it from Amazon, I know I don't.
    FYI, they label verified purchasers.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

7. Thanks Newman thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 17th, 2019 @ 11:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that part but people (including me) buy things elsewhere but review them on Amazon. It's common.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."