Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I need a new read

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    This one looks good to me.
    I read that one a while ago and you won't be able to put it down. Larson is a master at making a novel out of history.

Another good one of his is "In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin".

My friend gave me a collection of books from her mom's things she was sorting through after her death. They're from "An Irish Country" series. I'm working my way through them and I'm on the third one, "An Irish Country Girl". Somewhat whimsical but interesting too.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

2. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    Saturday, November 16th, 2019 @ 2:54 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    [https://images-na]

Ben Macintyre

The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.

4. Thanks phillygirl thanked for this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a new Chief Inspector Gamache coming out soon...August, IIRC. If you haven't read the earlier ones, now would be a great time to catch up. Louise Penny.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

6. Thanks phillygirl thanked for this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I just finished, this morning, "Devil in the White City". It was good. Strange turn of events, however. I almost didn't finish up the epilogue, as I had another book in the queue and was eager to get started. I've been a bit distracted on my drives to and from work lately, so I did find my mind drifting a lot while listening to this book. However, I decided to finish the epilogue since it autoloaded when I turned on the app. Apparently, Dr. Holmes (the serial killer who is the subject of the book) is buried in the same cemetery as my paternal grandparents. How weird is that??? I wouldn't have known but for listening to the last 25 minutes or so of the book.

Now, of course, I'm going to have to try to find his grave. It's apparently unmarked, however there is mention of precisely where it is. I've never visited the graves of my paternal grandparents, so I guess this is the time.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

8. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoops, just double checked and it's not the same cemetery, but it's not far away. Good opportunity in any event for me to do some research on my grandmother, who died when I was 12. I had no idea her middle name was Alice. Strange, the things you don't know sometimes.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

10. Likes Michele liked this post