Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Senators Want To Know Why WNBA Players Make Less Money Than NBA Stars

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
    Posts
    18,413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Senators Want To Know Why WNBA Players Make Less Money Than NBA Stars

    Senators Want To Know Why WNBA Players Make Less Money Than NBA Stars

    DAVID HOOKSTEAD
    SMOKE ROOM EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    July 12, 2019
    8:16 AM ET

    Sens. Jacky Rosen and Amy Klobuchar apparently don’t know anything about how sports work.

    Rosen and Klobuchar, who is running for President, sent a letter to the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on Thursday asking for a hearing on why female athletes are paid less than men.

    This has been in the news a ton ever since the World Cup got underway, and that was storyline was prominently featured in the letter. I get it. I understand why we’re talking about it, even if the women aren’t actually underpaid. However, there’s a line of the letter referencing basketball that is simply laugh-out-loud funny. (RELATED: Kevin Durant Will Sign With The Brooklyn Nets For $164 Million, Kyrie Irving Will Get $141 Million)

    “Last year in the Women’s National Basketball Association, the maximum veteran player salary was $115,500, while the men in the National Basketball Association earned a minimum salary of $582,180,” the letter read.

    Yes, that’s an actual sentence in a letter from two sitting members of the Senate. I wish was I was making this up, but I’m not.

    We have actual elected officials who want to know why WNBA players aren’t getting the same kind of cash as LeBron James.

    Here’s a really simple answer for all of you. The NBA’s TV deal is worth $24 billion dollars. $24 billion! That’s the kind of cash that is simply mind-boggling.

    Now, the senators might assume the WNBA has a lucrative TV deal. There must be plenty of people just dying to watch a bunch of travels, jump balls and missed layups, right?

    Wrong.

    In 2013, the WNBA signed an extension with ESPN that paid out $12 million a year. There are bench players in the NBA making more money than the entire WNBA is in TV revenue.

    Why? It’s shockingly simple. The NBA sells out arenas and is a global brand. That’s the reason why players are getting paid insane amounts of cash.

    The WNBA just isn’t. I’m not knocking the women for choosing basketball as a career, but let’s not pretend like they’re out here producing the same kind of product or cash flow. They’re just not.

    The reality of the situation the WNBA all-star team would get obliterated by any good high school boys team. You could put the women’s Olympic team on the court against any top-25 high school boys team in America, and they’d lose by 50. It would be insanely ugly.

    Yet, senators are confused as to why they’re not paid like they’re in the NBA? Give me a break.
    This is astonishing.

    I don't particularly care about sports one way or the other. There's probably a case to made to pay men less in some cases. But it's just math.

    What would this investigation look like? A couple of CPAs reading from the Associations' annual reports? Who doesn't know this? Couldn't they spend their tax-payer time in a better way?

    Why does the NFL pay more than ballroom dancing or archery? Why does the NBA pay more than professional bowling?

    Because more eyes are on it and more butts are in the seats.

    Why? Because dancing, archery, and bowling are slow (relatively) and it's difficult for a normal person to relate to it. Most people have actually played baseball (softball), basketball, or tag football. Why do they prefer to watch guys? Because there's better action (maybe not baseball, not with the Rockies, anyway).

    Women's teams routinely get beat by boys' varsity teams. That's okay but is watching that level of play really worth the same money?

    Daily Caller
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:39 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to know why WNBA players get paid more than I do for sitting on the couch scratching my balls.

    I mean, all activities are equal, right? I put a lot of effort into scratching my balls well....
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
    Posts
    18,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I want to know why WNBA players get paid more than I do for sitting on the couch scratching my balls.

    I mean, all activities are equal, right? I put a lot of effort into scratching my balls well....
    How tall are you? Just curious.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Posts
    9,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is astonishing.

    I don't particularly care about sports one way or the other. There's probably a case to made to pay men less in some cases. But it's just math.

    What would this investigation look like? A couple of CPAs reading from the Associations' annual reports? Who doesn't know this? Couldn't they spend their tax-payer time in a better way?

    Why does the NFL pay more than ballroom dancing or archery? Why does the NBA pay more than professional bowling?

    Because more eyes are on it and more butts are in the seats.

    Why? Because dancing, archery, and bowling are slow (relatively) and it's difficult for a normal person to relate to it. Most people have actually played baseball (softball), basketball, or tag football. Why do they prefer to watch guys? Because there's better action (maybe not baseball, not with the Rockies, anyway).

    Women's teams routinely get beat by boys' varsity teams. That's okay but is watching that level of play really worth the same money?

    Daily Caller
    Senators Want To Know Why WNBA Players Make Less Money Than NBA Stars ?

    This collection of vote-winning, aspiring nouveau riche includes at least one who puzzled over whether a Pacific island could tip over, right? Some run for president.

    We are blessed.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Friday, November 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Posts
    9,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I want to know why WNBA players get paid more than I do for sitting on the couch scratching my balls.

    I mean, all activities are equal, right? I put a lot of effort into scratching my balls well....
    For the record I think any woman who'd scratch your balls should get the same pay. And free hand sanitizer for life.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

  6. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:39 AM
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    For the record I think any woman who'd scratch your balls should get the same pay. And free hand sanitizer for life.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •