Thread: People who constantly complain are harmful to your health

Last Online
    Saturday, August 17th, 2019 @ 2:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

People who constantly complain are harmful to your health

People who constantly complain are harmful to your health

We all know that one person who likes to complain incessantly. No matter what they have going on in their lives, good or bad, they find a way to vent or grumble about something. Of course, everyone has their moments, as expressing complaints comes naturally to us, and itís likely there are times where even you were the constant complainer. While it may seem harmless to air your frustrations, consistently vocalizing negative sentiments may become a subconscious habit leading to some overall harmful consequences for your health.

Itís not only unattractive to others and a total mood killer to the liveliness of those around you, but continuous complaining can cause damage in other ways too. Constant complaining over time can cause an immense impact on brain function and take an overall toll on your physical wellbeing.

<snip>

The more you complain, the more likely you are to choose negative over positive thinking in the long run. Fascinatingly so, for each time you complain, your brain is actually physically rewiring itself, making it easier to adapt to that reaction in the future. The results are clear: negativity breeds more negativity.

If the idea of breeding continual negative notions in your brain isnít enough to get you to stop complaining, how about learning that it can also damage your memory? MRI scans have shown that constant complaining can lead to the shrinkage of the hippocampus, the region in your brain responsible for cognitive functioning. The smaller your hippocampus, the more likely you are to have your memory decline, as well as difficulty adapting to new situations.

The aftermath effects of complaining donít stop there. The more you complain, the more your cortisol levels increase. High levels of cortisol are associated with health problems like increasing depression, insomnia, digestive problems, high blood pressure, and even increasing the risk of heart disease. Thereís a reason they call it the stress hormone!
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    How well I know this!

My mother was a habitual complainer. She was never good about it and got increasingly worse with age. I'm not saying she focused on complaining about me (although I got my share), she would complain about everything: the weather, the neighbors, the guy at the gas station, some actor on TV, the news, her friends and their kids and all relatives, the sermon, the dogs, her doctor, anyone in a checkout line at a grocery, the check-out clerk, the library staff and their poor selection choices, the wind, and so much more.

We all just hated it and tuned it out as best we could since she didn't appear to want any actual solutions to what she was complaining about. It was just an uninterrupted stream-of-consciousness ejection.

The silver lining to this exposure was that my brothers and I became unwitting stoics and defensive realists. If it's hot, it's hot. If it's a lot of work, it's a lot of work. If the book, date, meal, present, teacher, friend or whatever disappointed, it wasn't the end of the world. There would be another one turning up. You can ignore a lot of stuff or if you can't, you can shut up about it until you figure out what to do about it (if anything). You can't control weird stuff or annoying people but you can control how much they destroy your peace of mind most of the time.

Thanks, Mom!
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crap. I hate it when people dislike my complaining. They suck.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

4. Likes Djharkavy, Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Crap. I hate it when people dislike my complaining. They suck.
    Whatever.

"Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

6. Likes Novaheart liked this post