Thread: CNN April Ryan Has Bodyguard Eject Journalist, Steal Camera

Last Online
    Today @ 6:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

CNN April Ryan Has Bodyguard Eject Journalist, Steal Camera

Following this story into the rabbit hole was interesting.

CNN's April Ryan after bodyguard ejects local journalist: 'When I speak, I don’t have news covering my speech'
    A local news editor claims that a bodyguard for CNN political analyst and White House correspondent April Ryan violently removed him from an event where she was a keynote speaker.

Charlie Kratovil, editor of New Brunswick Today, was on hand to cover a speech given by Ryan at the 4th annual New Jersey Parent Summit, which focuses on "educating, empowering and preparing parents for our future leaders," on Aug. 3 at The Heldrich Hotel.
    This video is from the ejected guy's camera:

The security footage is here.
    Surveillance video shows a bodyguard for CNN contributor April Ryan accosting and violently ejecting a New Jersey reporter from an event where Ryan was speaking.

New Brunswick Today editor Charlie Kratovil, who attempted a run for mayor in his New Jersey town last year, detailed how he was ejected from the event by Ryan’s bodyguard in a long Twitter thread posted last Monday.

“During the intro, this man came up to me, mentioned my video camera & asked me ‘Who are you with?'” Kratovil wrote on Twitter. “I gave him my card & explained that I followed the proper channels to cover the event. I asked if he had a card & he responded by saying he was ‘with the speaker.'”

Kratovil said the bodyguard then took down his camera and carried it out of the room. Surveillance video shows him getting violently dragged out of the event by the man. “Get off of me motherfucker!” Kratovil is heard shouting.
    It's fascinating that a CNN reporter would say, "When I speak, I don’t have news covering my speech."

Why would she do that? So I poked around. The "Parent Summit" she's speaking at features "Project READY," for whom she has been engaged.

Project READY is a grant-gobbling activist group based in UNC at Chapel Hill, NC, my hometown.

About Project READY
    The School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the School of Library and Information Sciences at North Carolina Central University, and Wake County (NC) Public Schools have received a three-year Continuing Education Project grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to develop a comprehensive research-based professional development curriculum that includes a suite of blended professional development experiences for school librarians, classroom teachers, and school literacy coaches that focuses on cultural competence, culturally relevant pedagogy and equity literacy. The 2015 IMLS Focus Report on Learning in Libraries puts forth a call for design-based, collaborative projects focused on transferring knowledge from research to practice. Project READY will answer that call by developing an innovative and scalable professional development curriculum following an iterative process that both informs, and is informed by, school library practice and practitioners.
    This is education argot. It's unrelieved.

The Need:

The emphasis on teaching and collaboration in the most recent set of AASL national professional standards for school librarians means that they are now expected to take a direct role in the instruction of students to an unprecedented degree.1 Yet, for school librarians in the United States – the majority of whom are middle aged, White, English-speaking females2 – the recent and rapid demographic changes in their student populations have left many of them “struggling to connect with a completely new set of learners, with cultural backgrounds distinctly different from each other and from their teachers.”3 New research has found that while school librarians recognize the need for cultural knowledge and awareness in developing effective instruction for these youth, they also feel they lack the knowledge and experience necessary to enact such instruction.4 As a result, many youth of color “feel like outsiders in library spaces,”5 compounding the extensively documented challenges and inequities these youth face in school in general – inequities that to be redressed require changes in instructional practices in classrooms and libraries. Research shows that professional development can help educators “to continually reassess what schooling means in the context of a pluralist society; the relationships between teachers and learners; and attitudes and beliefs about language, culture, and race.”6
    (The footnotes: )
    1. American Association of School Librarians (2009). Empowering learners: Guidelines for school library media programs. Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
    2. American Library Association (2012). Diversity Counts 2012 Tables. Retrieved from http://www.ala.org/offices/sites/ala...sitycountstabl es2012.pdf
    3. Mestre, L. S. (2010). Culturally responsive instruction for teacher-librarians. Teacher Librarian, 36(3), 8-12, p. 9.
    4. Hughes-Hassell, S. and Stivers, J. (2015). Examining youth services librarians’ perceptions of cultural knowledge as an integral part of their professional practice. School Libraries Worldwide, 21(1), 121136.
    5. Kumasi, K. (2012). Roses in the concrete: A critical race perspective on urban youth and school libraries. Knowledge Quest, 40(4): 32-37, p. 36.
    6. Clair, N., & Adger, C. T. (1999). Professional development for teachers in culturally diverse schools (ERIC Digest, ED435185). Washington, DC: Clearinghouse on Languages and Linguistics, p. 2.
    Anticipated Outcomes:

To our knowledge, there is currently no existing continuing education or professional development curriculum on the topics of cultural competence, culturally relevant pedagogy, or equity literacy for school librarians. Our development of research-based, freely accessible materials (which can be used to facilitate either online or in-person PD) will fill this gap.
    More obfuscation. But again there's the term "equity literacy," with which I was unfamiliar. Running this down through UNC and Project READY let me to the Equity Literacy Institute:
    ABOUT EQUITY LITERACY

The Equity Literacy Framework​

Equity literacy is a framework for cultivating the knowledge and skills that enable us to be a threat to the existence of inequity in our spheres of influence. More than cultural competence or diversity awareness, equity literacy prepares us to see even subtle ways in which access and opportunity are distributed unfairly across race, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, language, and other factors.

By recognizing and deeply understanding these conditions, we are prepared to respond to inequity in transformational ways in the immediate term. We also strengthen our ability to foster longer-term change by redressing the bigger institutional and societal conditions that produce the everyday manifestations of inequity.

We built the equity literacy framework after careful consideration of the strengths and limitations of existing approaches for attending to diversity in schools and other organizations and systems. We were particularly concerned with popular approaches like “cultural competence” and their vague focus on “culture.” These approaches mask the inequities that cause educational disparities. Equitable educators should be proficient not only with cultural knowledge, but also with the knowledge and skills to ensure and advocate for equity. ​
    The rest of their "About" page:
    Four Abilities of Equity Literacy

The knowledge and skills of equity literacy cultivate in individuals and institutions four equity abilities: ​
    1. the ability to Recognize even the subtlest biases and inequities,
    2. the ability to Respond skillfully and equitably to biases and inequities in the immediate term,
    3. the ability to Redress biases and inequities by understanding and addressing them at their institutional roots, and
    4. the ability to Sustain equity efforts even in the face of discomfort or resistance.

Equity Literacy Institute workshops, equity coaching, and other services are designed around cultivating these abilities and preparing educators and other professional to cultivate them in one another.

For a more detailed description of the four abilities of equity literacy, read our free printable handout, "Equity Literacy Definition and Abilities."

Principles of Equity Literacy

An important aspect of equity literacy is its insistence on maximizing the integrity of transformative equity practice. That means not being lulled by popular diversity approaches and frameworks that pose no threat to inequity. The principles of equity literacy help us to ensure we keep a commitment to equity at the center of our work and conversation. Download and share these principles here.

Direct Confrontation Principle: There is no path to equity that does not involve a direct confrontation with inequity.

"Poverty of Culture" Principle: Inequities are primarily power and privilege problems, not primarily cultural problems, so equity requires power and privilege solutions, not just cultural solutions.​

Equity Ideology Principle
    : Equity is more than a list of simple practical strategies; it is a lens and an ideological commitment.​

Prioritization Principle: Each policy and practice decision should be examined through the question, "How will this impact the most marginalized members of our community?"

Redistribution Principle: Equity is about redistributing access and opportunity, so equity initiatives should be about redistributing access and opportunity.

#FixInjusticeNotKids Principle: Equity initiatives focus, not on fixing marginalized people, but instead on fixing the conditions that marginalize people.​

One Size Fits Few Principle
    : Identity-specific equity frameworks (like "the culture of poverty" or group-level "learning styles") almost always are based on stereotypes, not equity.

Evidence-Informed Equity Principle
    : Equity initiatives should be based on evidence of what works rather than trendiness.
    So this is continuing ed for Social Justice Warriors, able to perceive inequity where a normal person might miss it, and sustain their outrage.

We are blessed.

One site I've no reason to trust suggested this reporter, Charlie Kratovil, was ejected because he was white. That's plausible, and I'll see if CNN denies it.
    "We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

2. Likes scott, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhhhh………… black woman...……….