Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1619 Project

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    There were almost 4 million African slaves in America. How many white people do you suppose owned them?
    How many white people do you suppose worked as tenant farmers, sharecroppers, or indentured servants?

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    If it were the second or third or even the fifth, does that make it easier to ignore when considering our history?
    Historical. Not continued to present day. There are no black people who are slaves. Unless there is a stretch to being on welfare as a generational way of life is somehow "slavery".

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were almost 4 million African slaves in America. How many white people do you suppose owned them?
    A relatively small, monied minority.

Slaves were expensive in the New World. They were expensive to buy and expensive to keep. These weren't spoils of war dragged back to Rome to serve the Senators or males pressed into fighting with the Mongol hordes. They had to be bought, fed, clothed, and housed indefinitely, along with any offspring. They had to be transported from where they were captured in wars (Africa) at a high cost. From a economic standpoint, it's sort of like having a special-needs child who can never actually take care of themselves even in adulthood: someone (in this case the slaveholder) had to pay for everything that slave ever had. Not a cheap proposition when you think about it monetarily.

It's fun for people today to morally preen about how slaves were beaten mercilessly and treated poorly, and certainly those events did happen sometimes, but from a purely practical standpoint, leaving aside the moral question of slavery itself, slaves were tools that had to be cared for, and they were very expensive tools indeed. And during the time of slavery in the New World, there just weren't that many people here (or coming here) who had the means to pay for a slave. Most of those people understood that a sick or injured slave did no one any good from a production standpoint and thus took care of their "tools."
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about colonial times, but by 1860, roughly a quarter of the households in the South had slaves.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    A relatively small, monied minority.

leaving aside the moral question of slavery itself,
    Pretty hard to do that. And just because they weren't beaten to within an inch of their lives doesn't mean they were properly cared for.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty hard to do that. And just because they weren't beaten to within an inch of their lives doesn't mean they were properly cared for.
    Much more properly cared for than poor white people who hard to fend for themselves in a hard scrabble life were.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Much more properly cared for than poor white people who hard to fend for themselves in a hard scrabble life were.
    Please don't try to defend slavery. It's kind of sickening.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

8. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 1860 Slaves were 13% of the population, 3,950,528 slaves owned by 8% of the free population. It's not a simple calculation, though, so look at the chart yourself:

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_census.html
    Last edited by Novaheart; Tuesday, August 27th, 2019 at 6:43 PM.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    On cleaning day I lament it. Mind you , I would prefer having Norwegian slaves.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand where your post is coming from, but separately I am tired of the genuflection required with each and every remark about bad things. It reminds me a lot of Adam's user title, "Nazis are bad." He was mocking the same ritual, different evil.
    “The interesting thing about the Green New Deal is it wasn’t originally a climate thing at all.... We really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.” —Saikat Chakrabarti, then AOC's Chief of Staff, explaining the Green New Deal for the hard of hearing.

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." —CNN's Don Lemon, showing how to stop demonizing people.

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post